FILLING A TAX REFORN FOR THE UK

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

FILLING A TAX REFORN FOR THE UK

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I received a letter from the UK Tax office yesterday informing me that they have not yet received my 2016 - 2017 tax return. I had no idea that I had to fill one in. However I got through to them after a trail and error ringing 03 numbers which appear to be premium rate :thumbdown: and they confirmed that I now have to fill in a tax return! The chap told me that they allow 11,000 pounds "profit" . Anyone know anything about it! :(
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: FILLING A TAX REFORN FOR THE UK

Postby elusive » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 pm

11000 is your tax free allowance. Do you own a property in the uk and rent it out?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 pm

or own a property and do not rent it out.....as they may assume you do!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Perhaps I am wrong but I believe you live full time in Spain?
If so you should be paying any tax on rental income etc here in Spain.
Doesn't they UK tax people know you live full time in Spain and pay all your income tax here in Spain?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 pm

UK rental income is taxed in the UK irrespective of residency. You also pay it in Spain, but you can offset the tax paid in the UK from the Spanish tax.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 am

elusive wrote:11000 is your tax free allowance. Do you own a property in the uk and rent it out?
Yes I do and the tax people know as I get an exemption. I received a letter from them last year to say i did not owe any monies to the UK.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 am

That is good to know. I had no idea I had to fill in a tax return for the UK until yesterday when I received a letter and spoke to them on the phone. I used to get an exemption form. Apparently it is a new law!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:21 am

gerryh wrote:Perhaps I am wrong but I believe you live full time in Spain?
If so you should be paying any tax on rental income etc here in Spain.
Doesn't they UK tax people know you live full time in Spain and pay all your income tax here in Spain?
Cheers
Gerry
I do. I pay tax on the rental income in Spain,

The do know and every year I used to receive a tax exemption form until this year that is! :thumbdown:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am

elusive wrote:11000 is your tax free allowance. Do you own a property in the uk and rent it out?
Yes I do.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:43 am

There is a tax exemption form that you can apply for from HMRC that means that the agent handling your rental does not deduct tax at source. For foreign/non resident landlords, usually the agent would be making a deduction to set off against any tax due. I guess that's the exemption certificate you are referring to.

However, as a non-resident landlord, you should be filling out a UK tax return. I have done them all the times I have had a rental property there, even though our income will probably never exceed the tax free allowances that are very generous in the UK (compared to here, although here you are only taxed on 40% of the income which does help).

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 am

Yes I got a tax exemption form as well as a letter from the tax office saying I did not own any tax!

Anyway I will have to start filling in the form! I have until October apparently. :thumbup: They are sending me a form through the post, that is if it gets here as the postie who used to be a pleasant man until they changed the street number and he got his nickers in a twist does not stop complaining that I take too long to open the door for him and he is in a hurry apparently! so not sure if I will get it in my post box :(

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 am

Bearing in mind that you live abroad the Gov. do not have a system in place for filling it in on line. You have to purchase the software from a supplier! :crazy: How daft is that, but I suppose they get a cut. There phone numbers are premium rate. Thankfully I managed to track down an ordinary number from looking at "saynoto0845" web! :thumbdown:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:22 pm

You will have to do a self assesment tax return each year.we get our rental income paid tax free by filing the non resident lanslord form with hmrc when we moved to spain.but still have to file a self assesment return each year because as sid says you can be taxed on it in the uk

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:37 pm

patricia wrote:Bearing in mind that you live abroad the Gov. do not have a system in place for filling it in on line. You have to purchase the software from a supplier! :crazy: How daft is that, but I suppose they get a cut. There phone numbers are premium rate. Thankfully I managed to track down an ordinary number from looking at "saynoto0845" web! :thumbdown:
It is not necessary to buy any software to make the yearly tax returns. HMRC make available free software to make returns and I have been using it for the past 12 years.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Well I have been on the Government site and it quite cleary tells me to go to software companies which they name and who charge for their service. If you have a link then I would like to know what link that is and how to get on it. I presume you are talking about Spanish Residents!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello Sid, just to say that replies are coming into my inbox! Any idea why!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm

No idea why. Are they PMs?

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:55 pm

You checked the box notify me when a reply is posted? Its below the box you write your reply in

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

brimsham wrote:
patricia wrote:Bearing in mind that you live abroad the Gov. do not have a system in place for filling it in on line. You have to purchase the software from a supplier! :crazy: How daft is that, but I suppose they get a cut. There phone numbers are premium rate. Thankfully I managed to track down an ordinary number from looking at "saynoto0845" web! :thumbdown:
It is not necessary to buy any software to make the yearly tax returns. HMRC make available free software to make returns and I have been using it for the past 12 years.
I didn't think you can fill in the Non Residents pages using the free software, (excerpt from their website below). I do paper returns each year in 3 sections: the basic return, the property section and the Non residents section.

When you can’t use the service
You need to use other software or download other forms to send a Self Assessment tax return:

for a partnership
for a trust or estate
if you lived abroad as a non-resident
if you get income from a trust, you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 pm

El Cid wrote:No idea why. Are they PMs?

Sid
No. Just posts. I used to get them in my mail box but now nothing from the forum comes in!

No idea what is going on! :thumbdown: