FILLING A TAX REFORN FOR THE UK

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: FILLING A TAX REFORN FOR THE UK

Postby patricia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:56 pm

elusive wrote:You checked the box notify me when a reply is posted? Its below the box you write your reply in
I have never had any problems before. If I make a comment or start a thread I have always received notification, but not now!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Wicksey wrote:
brimsham wrote:
patricia wrote:Bearing in mind that you live abroad the Gov. do not have a system in place for filling it in on line. You have to purchase the software from a supplier! :crazy: How daft is that, but I suppose they get a cut. There phone numbers are premium rate. Thankfully I managed to track down an ordinary number from looking at "saynoto0845" web! :thumbdown:
It is not necessary to buy any software to make the yearly tax returns. HMRC make available free software to make returns and I have been using it for the past 12 years.
I didn't think you can fill in the Non Residents pages using the free software, (excerpt from their website below). I do paper returns each year in 3 sections: the basic return, the property section and the Non residents section.

When you can’t use the service
You need to use other software or download other forms to send a Self Assessment tax return:

for a partnership
for a trust or estate
if you lived abroad as a non-resident
if you get income from a trust, you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister
Well that is what I thought. I have tried and there is nowhere you can download a form for non UK residents. When I try it takes me to a page where I have to pay for the software!

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm a non resident landlord and just go into to the site sign in and fill out my Self Assessment on line. My wife also fill her return the same way.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:51 am

Do you fill in the Resident pages though (it's a separate section SA109), together with the Property section where you declare your rental income and expenses (on form SA105). These are in addition to the basic SA Tax Return SA100.
This is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent

where it says:

You need to declare your rental income in a Self Assessment tax return unless HMRC tells you not to.

You can’t use HMRC’s online services. Instead, you need to:

send your tax return by post
use software
get help from a professional, like an accountant
You need to complete the ‘residence’ section (form SA109 if you’re sending it by post) and the ‘property’ section (form SA105).

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:59 am

I just log into my account with HMRC and enter the rental from the house and my civil service pension details. The filling in is done online , nothing is downloaded until complete when a copy of the completed entriess can be downloaded. I have been doing this for the 12 years I have been in Spain, maybe it is not possible now to open a new account when living outside of the UK.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:02 pm

I've had an account with them since Gateway was set up and can monitor my details and progress of my returns I sent in, and any tax rebate due etc. When it became possible to submit online forms I've never been able to as they won't let me do the Residents section.

Do you access the Property section (SA105) online ... this has always been a separate return to the SA100 and is where you show your rental income/expenses?

You should still be completing the Residents pages in addition to the SA100, although I'm not sure if there's any advantage to doing that (exemption from CGT perhaps or something as a non UK resident??). As soon as we changed our address to one abroad we were automatically sent those pages to complete.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:25 pm

I go to submit my SA section and thereare a number of questions,eg do you obtain income from a property or words to that effect which I tick and then the approprite section is there to enter the details. Just loged in and it does give me the option to use Commercial Software, also the following :"to be a non-UK resident or non-domiciled in the UK and claiming the remittance basis, or dual resident in the UK and another country, you need to exit this online service and fill in the 'Residence, remittance basis etc' pages using alternative software."

I guess the critcal words are, "and claiming the remittance basis...." what ever that means. Obviously that doesn't apply to me as said HMRC having been accepting my returns for a number of years.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 am

brimsham wrote::"to be a non-UK resident or non-domiciled in the UK and claiming the remittance basis, or dual resident in the UK and another country, you need to exit this online service and fill in the 'Residence, remittance basis etc' pages using alternative software."

I guess the critcal words are, "and claiming the remittance basis...." what ever that means. Obviously that doesn't apply to me as said HMRC having been accepting my returns for a number of years.
I didn't have the choice ... they've been sending me the residence pages for the past 17 years. That's the bit that they won't allow me to do online, but I don't see why they can't set that up, and it would save a lot of paper (and postage) if they did.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:40 am

Enrique I have sent you two messages but they are not appearing in my out box! Did you get them!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 am

Hi patricia,
It would be good to keep the "Notifications" issues on the Notifications or not Thread ..... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 am

I will do that :thumbup: