Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby kerbut » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm

I will forth it after having my card (brand new ,never used anywhere else ) cloned at Delpaso
kerbut

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:50 pm

They tried to tell me that the door lock was broken and when I protested that it wasn't, and asked to demonstrate, they announced that the car had been taken away for cleaning. There was an obvious conspiracy between the staff for one to whisk it away before the other announced the " damage". I had already photographed the car but of course not the lock!

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

After the excess mileage, and the decrepit old car I was given Marbelsol are definitely off my list. Now on my second Centauro hire and no complaints at all.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 am

gus wrote:Check out the Marbesol terms Elusive!
Exceed 45 km per day ( and, as you say, it is cumulative for the hire period) and you get hit for a penalty charge per km above this limit. It is there in black and white.
Somewhat concerned, I looked up my booking confirmation form for Marbesol from DYS and it says quite clearly "Mileage: Unlimited mileage" so presumably this means I won't subjected to a 45km a day limit ? I might just contact DYS to check (couldn't find any Ts & Cs on the Marbesol site :-( )

Edited to add - I've just confirmed with DYS that if it says unlimited on the voucher, then it is unlimited, so I am relieved now :-)
Last edited by chrissiehope on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am

Marbesol have 3 packages: basic, plus and all inclusive. The first two have mileage limitations the third does not. You must have the third. If you are still unsure check with Marbesol. DYS are merely the broker and will not have all these details.

Marbesol' basic pack is outrageous. There is no breakdown assistance offered for free even though this is included in all Spanish car insurance policies.

Use Centauro or Firefly for budget hire, or Malagacar if they've now managed to deal with their high numbers of customers.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm giving Record a try again when I come out in a couple of weeks.
€22 for 23 days hire is worth a try. Even with the "fuel service" charge, fuel etc. it's a deal. I have my own excess insurance and I'll give the possible queue a chance.
Report back to come after the hire is complete.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 am

Brave call, Gus. Last time Used them (admittedly 7 years ago) I lost the will to live after being in the queue for 70 minutes and hired from the Hertz desk - cost me a flippin fortune :(

Look forward to your report in a couple of months.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Slightly late , but never mind, here's my update on my Marbesol hire !

Cost 22.41€ for a VW Polo for 8 days, plus 90€ fuel (Full/ empty). The girl was determined to sell me their insurance package, but as it was dearer than the fuel & their insurance it wasn't very attractive (I think she got her sums wrong ;-) ) & I had my annual policy anyway !

The car was practically brand new with less than 2,500 km on the clock, a bit underpowered at 1.2 petrol engine, but generally OK

No problems when we took it back, so on this basis (unless things change in the next 12 months) I will probably use them again next year :-)

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Just realised I hadn't done a follow-up to my car hire with Record Go thru DYS.
Got home on Thursday and have to say that the whole process was more than satisfactory. The only hiccup was that our flight arrived early and we romped through passport control - downside was that we arrived at carhire desk about an hour early! I had the option of waiting or paying an additional fee of €15 (an easy choice).
Seat Ibiza 5door with a few "dinks" on the bodywork but immaculately clean interior. I took my usual photos of the car before leaving (including door locks and wheels).
Total cost of the hire for 24 days, including tank of fuel, fuel admin charge and my extra fee as above was €124.
No hassle over excess insurance and very easy check in on return.
Confirmation of the "release" of my deposit and no fuel refund - I returned it practically empty - was emailed to me on Friday am.
All in all a very satisfactory experience.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:03 pm

That is VERY good news, Gus. Record have had a bad reputation in the past.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:13 pm

I must admit I was a little wary after your comments on delays. As it was, we were through the collection process in less than 5 minutes - they still have my data on their system from some years ago.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:59 am

Yet another person subject to Goldcar policy of attempted daylight robbery against clients.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... oto-damage

Avoid this company like the plague. I thought they'd turned a corner on this disgraceful attitude, but apparently not.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Don't know if this news is good or bad, or when it might apply....
https://www.ft.com/content/2730a3be-54e ... fa4c1f83d2
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm

I suppose the headline is enough of a clue, but you can't read the article unless you subscribe :-(

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 pm

I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:41 pm

just returned having used Record Go, long wait to get to the front of the cue (4omins) but once there all went smoothly. bit of a hard sell on their excess insurance but as we have our own, we just declined. they do 'block' 950 euros on your credit card to cover the excess but that was confirmed as returned via email along with a fuel reimbursement. we did take a 10e upgrade at the desk for a slightly bigger car as there were 3 of us on this trip and there was a 20e admin fee which I can't quite recall what that was for but on the whole a reasonably good service especially the drop off part which was quick and efficient with the aforementioned reimbursement email coming through within 24hrs which was reassuring. never had one before from other companies and always left wondering if I was about to be clobbered for 'damage'

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks for the new link peter - interesting reading :-)

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Let's hope Europcar improve Goldcar customer service and recognise their current policies as an unacceptable, unethical, disgusting and appalling business model.

Pigs might fly...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm

And the answer is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... customers/

Good. At last the Serious Fraud Squad are investigating the sc*mbags. I do hope they will be fined to within an inch of their lives and can't wait to see a Goldcar agent saying "no insurance necessary sir, didn't you know we've been royally ripping you off for years."

At the same time maybe we can be provided with the total cost of hire up front, instead of €1.5 for a week plus €20 admin, €100 fuel, €200 insurance etc.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Further to my post in June, I have just noticed a refund from Marbesol of 31.25€ made to my credit card about 3 weeks after we returned - I assume it relates to unused fuel, which is useful to know :-)