Effect of the UK General Election on the exchange rate.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Re: Effect of the UK General Election on the exchange rate.

Postby anyroads » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 pm

The EU is doomed an any case, with or without the UK.

I have a gut feeling, it won't take that long for the £ to recover.

I will not be buying at present levels.

However at 1.25 I would fill my boots.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 pm

You can see where gut feelings got Mrs May. 1.25 seems a long way off at the moment. Good luck with that.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Just to show how she is 'down and with it' with the plebs she is currently at the France v England match. I hope somebody can explain the rules to her. The woman truly has no shame.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 am

anyroads wrote:The EU is doomed an any case, with or without the UK.

I have a gut feeling, it won't take that long for the £ to recover.

I will not be buying at present levels.

However at 1.25 I would fill my boots.

anyroads
Anyroads im confused by your post...If the EU is as doomed as you say it is then why would you fill your boots with Euros?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:18 am

I guess filling my boots is over egging it.

We all need EUROS from time to time. Standing orders etc.

I will simply use EUROS purchased at much better rates than now, until I can get some at better rates again.

We keep hearing how things are improving in Europe. I did not see much signs in my most recent visit to rural Spain in May. Working age men hanging around street corners or selling lottery tickets. Not as many council workers being employed. Sad, but this is the new normal. Something has to give eventually.

anyroads

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 am

Chunky Monky wrote:Just to show how she is 'down and with it' with the plebs she is currently at the France v England match. I hope somebody can explain the rules to her. The woman truly has no shame.
Why wouldn't she go to a match where both countries are showing solidarity against terrorists. Did you see the opening ceremony?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 am

anyroads wrote: We keep hearing how things are improving in Europe. I did not see much signs in my most recent visit to rural Spain in May. Working age men hanging around street corners or selling lottery tickets. Not as many council workers being employed. Sad, but this is the new normal. Something has to give eventually.

anyroads
With respect, That's not how you gauge the economy improving. The fact is that the UK had the lowest GDP growth rate in the European Union and is now the slowest growing economy in the G7 in the first quarter of 2017.

All this caused by supposedly strong and stable Conservatives who spout on about on about how good they are at running the economy but then allow ideology, megalomania and internal party politics get in the way and we end up in the mess we are in now.

Go with your gut all you want but I prefer to make predictions based on facts.
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 am

Spot on, Mark.

The out-of-touch Tories show no signs of being able to run anything, let alone health, transport, education, housing, social care. Every one of these is in a state of under-investment and neglect, and lack of long-term planning.

Of course, members of the Tory government do their very best not to rely on these services, by plugging themselves into private health, private schools and so forth.

Some time ago, George Osborne was quizzed about the minimum wage and low income support. When he and several of his colleagues were asked if they could survive on the Living Wage, they all said they could not.

If state schools, hospitals and other services are not good enough for them, who are they good enough for?
Chris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:59 am

Anyroads made the following comment.....
''We keep hearing how things are improving in Europe. I did not see much signs in my most recent visit to rural Spain in May. Working age men hanging around street corners or selling lottery tickets. Not as many council workers being employed. Sad, but this is the new normal. Something has to give eventually.''
anyroads[/quote].

Well of course areas differ dramatically but your description does not fit the village ( small town really ) that we live in.
I've never seen so many people employed by the Town Hall working, cleaning and repairing and in general most of the locals seem to be prospering.
Perhaps you are confused and you were commenting on the situation in UK..?.. :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Beni. Might be a skewed picture as locals unemployed are on the "three weeks" paid work for the council. Seasonal work like olive harvesting and asparagus harvesting have finished. In our village the men are clearing roadsides and ditches and the women are painting the village hall.

I prefer a measure of how much traffic there is on the motorways , particularly lorries, to judge how well the economy is doing. I feel it is picking up but still not as strong as before the crash.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Olli,
I agree that many of the agricultural workers are now working on short term Town Hall jobs, but that's normal, and where you live it's a much smaller and more rural area, so I guess not as many working.
But as I stated ,areas differ and in our village there is a much bigger diversity of employment ,we have many 'white collar workers' who commute to Granada etc., and many small companies, I was speaking with some of them last night and they told me that they are busier than normal.
With regard to the exchange rate, when it dropped because of the 'Brexit' vote, I really didn't expect it to go up for quite some time, so now I will have to tighten my belt a little more, never mind ..we won't starve ! :D
Regards,
Gordon

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 pm

markwilding wrote:
anyroads wrote: We keep hearing how things are improving in Europe. I did not see much signs in my most recent visit to rural Spain in May. Working age men hanging around street corners or selling lottery tickets. Not as many council workers being employed. Sad, but this is the new normal. Something has to give eventually.

anyroads
With respect, That's not how you gauge the economy improving. The fact is that the UK had the lowest GDP growth rate in the European Union and is now the slowest growing economy in the G7 in the first quarter of 2017.

All this caused by supposedly strong and stable Conservatives who spout on about on about how good they are at running the economy but then allow ideology, megalomania and internal party politics get in the way and we end up in the mess we are in now.

Go with your gut all you want but I prefer to make predictions based on facts.
I certainly was not talking about the UK. Hampshire is booming ( house prices going through the roof ).
If I put my house in Spain on the market, I would take a hammering !

I can only go on what I am seeing.

anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm

'I can only go on what I am seeing.'

anyroads[/quote]

Likewise... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 pm

BENIDORM wrote:'I can only go on what I am seeing.'

anyroads
Likewise... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon[/quote]

I am sure there is a joke there somewhere about specsavers, but it won't come to me !

Where is katy when you need her !

anyroads

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Where is katy when you need her !

Enjoying retirement ...........taking cream teas and the Spar waters of Royal Tunbridge Wells......... :wink:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 pm

I miss Katy.

BTW the exchange isn't far from pre-election rates.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

" cream teas and the Spar waters of Royal Tunbridge Wells"
Katy would never descend to such a down market grocers....Fortnum & Mason maybe?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:I miss Katy.

BTW the exchange isn't far from pre-election rates.
There are rumours that interest rates will rise soon. That seems to have had an effect this afternoon.
We have been advising students who are traveling to the UK this summer to buy their pounds as soon as possible but it seems they have already missed out on the election fall in the pound.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am

anyroads wrote:The EU is doomed an any case, with or without the UK
This has bee the prediction for some time now. It was to be first Brexit then Trump then supposedly Holland, Austria and France but in reality people in Europe have had a look over the cliff and seen the alternative and gone back the other way.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 am

I think they have Mark, the news about the Eu falling apart is thin on the ground now...As soon as the result of Brexit was known the headlines were all about whose next along with predictions of the countries you mention above. The collapse of the Eu ( if it ever happens ) now seems many years away.