Stop engine oil leak

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
john the baptist
Resident

Stop engine oil leak

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 pm

As if my recent car troubles were not bad enough (happy that I passed the ITV), after the oil and filter change my car is leaking oil.

there is constant drops on the drive way and the engine is covered in oil. my mechanic seems oblivious to take any responsibility for his work and ive already mentioned it to him but he does not want to know and Im doing to have to leave it with him. I googled the problem and i believe that there are products that you can pour into the engine that stops the leaks.

to top it off its extremely hot now and I crossed spain through the inland heat and my aircon no longer works, its functions but nothing cold comes out.

im praying a re-gas will solve this issue,

has anyone ever used these stop leak liquid solutions do thet actually work???

cheers jb

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stop engine oil leak

Postby olive » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:11 pm

snake oil? How about a layer of sand on the drive till you can get it fixed by a different but competent mechanic.

Air con. Ours packed up having reduced in efficiency. The garage said " not economical to repair". I asked around and was recommended a different place. He used a fairly standard process. His diagnostic kit has a tint in it which under a special light revealed three holes in a connecting pipe. He said he might be able to fix the holes. ( bit of a change from normal practice of replacing everything at your expenses until problem goes away.) However on removal it was evident that the pipe had seen better days so a new one is on order. You might have a similar problem.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Have a quick look under the car. See if the front cross members, engine mounts etc. are covered in oil.

I'll bet it's residue off the old oil that's dripping off parts in the engine bay , caused when it gushed out of the sump when he took the plug out to drop the oil.

If not then the only common denominator is the oil filter not sitting right or possibly sump washer which I'd doubt if the guy was a mechanic.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi,
If top of engine covered in oil check oil filler cap on correctly also is dip stick pushed home.

Wipe clean round oil filter , and after a run check to see if still clean.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:41 pm

air con systems in cars loose 10% of there gas a year approximately. Once under 70% they cease to work. Depending on age of car it may just need a re gas.
Your oil leak sound like the filter is not fitted correctly or the copper sump bung washer was not replaced. Seems strange it has just started leaking after an oil change.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm

And there is nothing that ytou could put into the engine to stop a leak of oil. If there is a leak you need to find the source and fix it (gasket or pipe).

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:02 pm

ok cheers everyone I googled in and all these videos came up on an additive that fixes the problem. The car is over getting on a bit so i hope a regas will work, ideally if it does not they may not charge me for the re gas

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:04 pm

this mechanic has come to my aid before this time however he has let me down, ramada and him working all day in the heat without any drink does not help, due to me expressing my opinion he does not want to know me anymore however I paid him so I want him to sort it out. Is a regas around 50e these days???

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi J de B,
Regas sounds about right.......paid £48 the other day, got one done Free on another vehicle...... :D

Oil change, now leaking oil.........something needs looking at , putting snake oil in the engine is money down the drain.

Do what the Guys have suggested above and find the leak.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:40 pm

JTB, where are you based?

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 pm

ok will do over the weekend and give you an update, does snake oil actually exist or were you joking?? is it called snake oil???

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 pm

near the gib side of the costa, BTW i was reading that you can buy a/c gas canisters yourself and regas it very easily. does anyone know where they sell these????

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Get it (regas) done professionally........... :idea:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg349.pdf

snake oil = a product, policy, etc. of little real worth or value that is promoted as the solution to a problem.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Air con is a high pressure system. Those cans are rubbish.

I bet your leak is a badly fitted filter or sump bung as its only just started leaking since it was serviced.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 am

costakid wrote:Air con is a high pressure system. Those cans are rubbish.

I bet your leak is a badly fitted filter or sump bung as its only just started leaking since it was serviced.
yes probably he is a t@sser!!!!! can he refit without losing the oil already put in???

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 am

Have you checked where it's leaking from yet? Are the drips on the floor hitting the same spot or are they spread over an area?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:44 am

Hi,

oil filter fitting........... from when filter seal touches, tighten 3/4 turn more by hand

Sump drain plug washer , replaced and tightened to 20-25Nm for alloy sump.

So check filter is tight and not leaking, check sump plug not leaking.

:!: :!: ...Check engine oil level on flat ground..........it should NOT be over the FULL mark........ :!: :!:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 am

john the baptist wrote:
costakid wrote:Air con is a high pressure system. Those cans are rubbish.

yes probably he is a t@sser!!!!! can he refit without losing the oil already put in???
You can replace the filter or take off and refit and only loose the oil that is in it, around half a pint. If you take the sump bung out you will either need to catch the oil in a tray or replace it with new oil.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:31 am

Do NOT add anything to the oil to try to stop an oil leak.
(a) it won't work
(b) if it's capable of plugging a leak, it will also plug up your engine's internal oilways, and could wreck your engine.
DO NOT DO THIS.

Get the car to a reputable mechanic, and have it checked out.
It sounds as if the oil/filter change was bodged.
Chris

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 am

This might sound harsh, but I think you buy cheap, you end up paying twice or three times. Why don't you have your car serviced by an official dealer who will do the job properly, instead of some Morrocan guy, who can't work properly due to thirst in Ramadan. Perhaps you have money issues and can't afford a proper service. Is the car coming to the end of its life - get a new or newer one.
You get what you pay for, be prepared to spend a bit more, because now you have an oily mess around the engine and a dirty driveway to clear up, and you are ending up fixing it yourself, that is, with the experts on a.com helping you out!