Surveyors in Torre Del Mar

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Surveyors in Torre Del Mar

Postby niraig » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:35 am

Hi, can anyone please recommend a surveyor in the Torre Del Mar area. We are interested in purchasing a property in Almayate and would like to have it surveyed. We have contacted one that is based in Estepona but not sure if the fee they have given us is the going rate. They have quoted €1200 for a property priced at €170,000. Any help would be really appreciated. As this is our first time of buying in Spain we are trying to cover all bases. Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Surveyors in Torre Del Mar

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I am sure will be paying a big premium for someone travelling from Estepona. There must be 100s in the area between Torre and Malaga.

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi, I've tried to search the internet for ones closer to Torre Del Mar but can't find any that's why I thought I'd ask on the forum. We are not in Spain at the moment.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi niraig,
Any good...........

http://axarquiatopografia.es/

Another one...........

INGENIEROS TECNICOS TOPOGRAFOS - 952546225
Dr. Fleming, 51 1° - 3°. 29740. Torre del Mar, Vélez-Málaga, MÁLAGA
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 am

Depends very much what you are looking for from a "surveyor". If you want a basic structural survey such as a Chartered Surveyor would provide in the UK, or a survey in greater detail from a Structural Engineer, you might not find it so easy. It is not the norm in Spain to have a survey before a property purchase. I should add that my experience was 11 years ago, but I would be surprised if the situation has changed. I could not find anyone then qualified to provide the service I needed and in the end had to pay someone to come from the UK for 2 days. Money well spent, it taught me more about groundworks than I knew existed and saved me from buying a pig.

Parilla

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 am

When we bought an old stone farmhouse in France we used a local builder who was very experienced in working on that type of property. I think we paid him 200€ to give the place a good going over. When we lived in the UK we never paid for a full survey as they often just would refer any possible problems onto other trades ..... "you'll need an electrician to look at this" etc etc. On one occasion a house we were selling was surveyed but the surveyor never really did much more than to give the place a cursory look-over, and I dread to think how much he charged for that.

As others have said, it isn't common practice here and most UK surveyors would probably be horrified at how many Spanish houses are built (no damp proof course, no insulation, minimum foundations etc, particularly in the campo where we saw many a house built by locals who had no building experience at all!)

(I think the surveyors in the link above are mainly those that do land surveys and draw up plans of land boundaries .... we have used one to do our new boundaries here.)

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks for your replies. I have found a surveyor and after reading so much, probably too much on the internet, we, as very nervous buyers in Spain thought this was the best way for us to go. Does everyone think this is just a waste of money.

Survey Spain SL. www.surveyspain.com
Network of Chartered Surveyors in Spain.
'Regulated by RICS'
Member of the British Chamber of Commerce in Spain.
Office: +34 952 923 520.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Not a waste of money or time. I never had a survey but I bought a house that was only around 5 years old so took a chance. There are a lot of older properties in Almayate so I think you are doing the right thing.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:11 pm

My late hubby was a Chartered Surveyor & was considering joining this network if we had come permanently to Spain. If I remember correctly, not only did you have to be a member of the RICS, but also do further study to qualify to register in this network, so you should be OK :-) .
I would second costakid - if it's more than a few years old, a survey will give you an idea of what might be in store.... ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank you Costakid & Chrissiehope, I am going to go ahead with survey as it will give us peace and Of mind.

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi again, once we have the survey/valuation report which we obviously hope is good. Is it appropriate to go in with a lower offer.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Offer what you think it is worth based on the results of your survey.

Do you know how long it's been on the market? I know of a couple of houses just sold that have been for sale for many years (one 8 years) so it's always worth making a lower offer. We started very low when we bought ours and then negotiated upwards, getting it for about 12.5% below the asking price in the end, although it had already dropped a considerable amount before that as well.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Where is the house? On the beach front at Almayate or in the village

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi, it's in the village near the fruit factory.