Theft from car.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Theft from car.

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Was at a family function this weekend.
One of the guests told me this.
They landed at Gib, picked up the hire car and headed off to Sotogrande.
Before they got to their rental, they stopped somewhere to pick up some groceries. When they got back to the car the window had been smashed and their cases taken. Luckily they had the important stuff I.e. Passports, cards etc on their persons.
Obviously this could have happened in any country and they should have not been so foolhardy leaving the car unattended.
The police said they were probably followed from the car hire place.

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Theft from car.

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:43 pm

They'd have to smash a pretty big window to get our cases out! They're in the boot ad not visible. I assume these folks left them on the back seat in full view of roaming thieves

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 am

I don't know the exact derails. We were at a party and alcohol was flowing.

I don't know size of cases or where they were.

Perhaps, after breaking a window, the scumbags were able to open a door. Some cars have a boot release handle inside the passenger compartment.

Bottom line.... The cases went.

I personany had a car broken into in Blanes many years ago. We were travelling back to uk from CDS. We were camping and hadn't emptied everything from the car into the tent as I thought it was safer inside the car. Lots of stuff was taken. This was before the days of ATMs. The Midland Bank had a system whereby you had some vouchers which combined with a card, you could withdraw the equivalent of £100 from certain banks. I had the card in my pocket and the vouchers were in the boot of the car. The scumbags found the vouchers. I rang the Midland and they said that as I had the card, the vouchers couldn't be cashed. Months later some how they managed to cash all eight over a three day period. The bank stood the loss. Must of had an inside person at the bank

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am

It used to be quite common for thieves to target obvious hire cars, whether the boot contents were visable or not. Many hire companies have their sticker on the back of the car so it is quite easy to spot them. There used to be a time when I think they stopped doing that (we used to peel them off if possible!) and some hire companies also used to remove the rear parcel shelf to stop you trying to hide your belonging in there.

I am going back up to 20 years ago here when we used to hire cars regularly, but it seems that the thieves still target hire cars. I do still hear of this happening (and also the distraction scam/asking directions etc, and letting your tyres down whilst in the supermarket so they can come and 'help' you fix it and steal from you) so people do have to be vigilant.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Last year at this time there was a spate of thefts from cars at the Benavista Center at KM 167 Richard. Silly people we know had absolutely everything except the clothes they were wearing stolen. Once I arrive at my place I take out the rear parcel shelf so its obvious there is nothing to see/rob.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Wicksey, they're still putting stickers on the window, and like you, we always pull them off & replace them just before returning the car ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Good idea taking out the stickers. I wouldn't bother putting them back. Oh wait a minute... They'll charge you 200 Euros damage.

jimmy7
Tourist

Postby jimmy7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm

There was a spate of thefts last year from the car park in Lidl at Calahonda. New arrivals often go straight to a supermarket from the airport and leave their car full of their possessions.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:27 pm

In the past when we holidayed in the Canaries car hire companies used to hire out cars minus their hub caps, this was another giveaway for would'be thieves.