NON RESIDENT TAX RETURN FOR THE UK

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

NON RESIDENT TAX RETURN FOR THE UK

Postby patricia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am

I received a letter from the tax people in the UK - sorry if this isnt relevant to A.com, however I have been this year I have to fill in a Non Resident UK from. I am still waiting for it to come in the post! and it still isnt here. I know Wicksey said there isnt one one for non-resident uk Brits, however my Gestoria said there is.

So can some one point my in the right direction for the link if they know where it is and probably fill in one themselves. I am sure they do not request one through the post!

If I do not fill it in I will get a fine this year. :thumbdown:

I didnt fill in one before because I used to get a "Tax Exemption" form!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: NON RESIDENT TAX RETURN FOR THE UK

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:34 am

I presume they mean a self assessment form. You can fill one in online but i think you need to set an account up.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am

I do have an account but you can also print it off I believe that is what my Gestor said anyway.

I wondered if anyone can confirm then I know what I am looking for!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am

I mentioned the forms you need on the other thread:
" ..... you need Resident pages though (it's a separate section SA109), together with the Property section where you declare your rental income and expenses (on form SA105). These are in addition to the basic SA Tax Return SA100."

There are UK non-resident self assessment returns, but you cannot fill them in online without having special software. You can download the form (and the others you need) to print off if you want from the website (see link below), but you still have until 31 October to send them in, so no panic:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -etc-sa109

The tax exemption certificate only means that you don't have to have tax deducted at source by your rental agent when he collects your property rental, it doesn't mean that you are exempt from any UK tax or completing tax returns (if only!)

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:44 am

Thats for that Wicksey. Yes I have registered online but they keep referring me to companies to download the software! I will print of the forms and send them by post.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I really would do it online....pay the £15 and buy the software as it calculates the tax for you. It will also file it electronically and you can pay online. It so much easier than paper. If you really want to do it by paper you can use the software to calculate without oaying fir the software. Download ABC version of software. They only make you pay for the software when you transmit the file to HMRC to file yiur return so you get the calculation for free.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:48 am

HMRC send me the returns each year and they calculate any tax due for free (although I only ever get rebates back from them), so I don't need to pay anything or do them online. I tend to go back to the UK once a year and take them with me so they only cost 76p to post them both back to the tax office too .... I like to save money where I can :) :)

Didn't realise you can use the software without paying though, should you just want to know if there's any tax due, so that would be useful info for others.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:I really would do it online....pay the £15 and buy the software as it calculates the tax for you. It will also file it electronically and you can pay online. It so much easier than paper. If you really want to do it by paper you can use the software to calculate without oaying fir the software. Download ABC version of software. They only make you pay for the software when you transmit the file to HMRC to file yiur return so you get the calculation for free.
That is useful to know. I might have a go at that!

Thanks for that information. :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm

I have missed the deadline for the paper tax return! :problem: It took me so long calculating it last year and filled in a few wrong boxes! I want to ask if the ABC is still the best software to use to fill in your tax form on line! :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm

patricia wrote:I have missed the deadline for the paper tax return! :problem: It took me so long calculating it last year and filled in a few wrong boxes I think it was well gone March and April before I got it right with threats of fines etc! that I put the forms away when they sent them to me when really I should have started to fill them in :roll: I want to ask if the ABC is still the best software to use to fill in your tax form on line! :thumbup:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 pm

The best is subjective. I have happily used ABC for 3 years and come renewal time I don't even look around and just re order as I can't imagine there being anything substantially better. Like I said above download the software...it is totally free, and have a play. Then when you want to send your return to HMRC you pay the £15 to get a user licence for ABC.

keep in mind if your are doing a UK non resident tax return for rental income then the £15 charge is deductabke as an expense

I would definitely avoind Andica. I used them before and it was archaic software and they charged me to re-download the software when I got a new computer. Additionally customer service wa rude and arrogant.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:32 am

That is useful to know Paddy. Do you download it once you go into your Gov. tax account! or can I download it now and fiddle about! I am not up on all this! Did you find it easy to fill in using the software!

Thanks for that :thumbup:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

No need to login to your gov account at all. Just download the ABC software and complete you return within the software. Then at the end when you are happy (you can save it multiple times and come back later if you don't do the return in one sitting) the software asks you would you like to submit the return.

At this point the software will already have shown you your tax return and calculation etc, then you pay the £15 and it will ask you for your Gov ID login etc and you press submit and ABC submits the return to HMRC for you. You get a receipt for the submission and a few days later you will be abke to login directly to HmRC and your return will be there.

As regards filling in the software it is almost identical to filling in the return on HMRC for UK residents (follows almost the same pattern and boxes etc) then just the added bit at the end for non residents about days spent in UK etc

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:30 pm

That is very helpful thank you Paddy. I have downloaded it and looked through it etc. I shall get on with it now. It is a relief to see that it is exactly the same as the paper one. :thumbup: I think I know what I am doing! If not I will be back! :P