Hibiscus Watering

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hibiscus Watering

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 pm

I have just bought two hibiscus plants from the Garden centre and have them on my patio in the sun. They have been flowering beautifully but suddenly the bottom leaves on one of the plants have started yellowing and dropping off. I check them every day to see if they need water and in this heat they are drying out quickly so I am watering them twice a day. I have only had them a couple of weeks and I bought some fertiliser which I read only needs using every 3 or 4 months during the growing season so I haven't used it yet as I presumed they would have beed fed at the garden centre. Am I watering them too much ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hibiscus Watering

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Yes, you probably are. Cut down the watering. For plants in pots in this climate you really should use a moisture meter probe. You just poke it into the pot and it will tell you if they need water. Available in most decent garden centres.

Sid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks Sid, do you know what the Spanish is for this item or do I just look up the Spanish for moisture meter probe ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 am

Its a Sensor Medidor de la humedad del suelo

It looks like this

https://www.amazon.es/MTL-Outdoor-humed ... ture+meter

Sid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks Sid ! I would cry my eyes out if I lost my lovely hibiscus :(

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I did cry my eyes out and gave up the unequal task of trying to keep hibiscus alive. Tree hibiscus I have not much problem with, but the ornamental big flowered ones ... flowers dropping off, leaves going yellow, all glossy leaves and no flowers, infested with aphids, you name it, they got it - was very careful with the watering in the ones in pots, gave them shade, gave them full sun, checked for peaty compost, tried in pots and tried in the ground ... nope! I think it is a bit like parsley, either they like you or they dont ...

So our lovely garden is now without ornamental hibiscus, and I admire (and quietly curse) all the neglected (and thriving) hibiscus in parks, hedges, abandoned gardens ... and mutter. I have come to believe they thrive on neglect!! Covered in flowers in all seasons, glossy leaves, wonderful!
Cheers
Mrs Gasman

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

We have several in the garden and this is our best one which is next to the house. It doesn't get a huge amount of water and is in a southerly position, but is shaded a little by surrounding plants.

We have others in the flowerbeds on the edge of the plot and these don't look so happy. I think they get the cold winds in the winter and the hot winds coming up from the campo in the summer, so they have fewer flowers and many of the leaves have dropped off and/or gone yellow.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 am

We have one very vigorous example in a part of the garden that gets no regular watering at all.