Changing UK license for Spaniah

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
TerryC
Resident

Changing UK license for Spaniah

Postby TerryC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I´ve been through the DGT website in Spanish and English and they state that you can download a form to carry out the change over from UK to Spanish Licence. I have looked everywhere in the DGT website and can find nowhere to download forms.

Can someone guide me in the right direction please.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing UK license for Spaniah

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:59 pm

PM El Cid. He will know.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi El Cid
The FAQ on Licenses could do with updating as many of the links don't work .
Also the procedure doesn't correspond with what's on the DGT site.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 pm

OK I will delete it. Maybe someone else would like to compile a more recent version.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi TerryC,

A chance to get your name in lights..........take notes on what you do and save the Links.
So when you complete the exercise you can write it up and get it Posted in FAQ's......... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 pm

When we did ours at the end of 2014 and just picked up the form at traffico. It was only a small form all very easy.tbh i would save on the hassle and just do it there

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Well I finally found my way through to download the form.
In google I typed DGT Spain and clicked on Translate document. It was then easy to navigate through to the chnge of driving license form.
However when I tried to download the PDF form it was a mess.
So I then followed the procedure on the DGT Spanish version and was then able to doenload a perfect PDF form, success.
BUT, I then went to make an appointment to do the job and the earliest date available was 11 OCTOBER 2017, four months away, UNBELIEVABLE.
So I'm just going to have to go down to the Trafico in Malaga and see if I can wing it. WISH ME LUCK.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

They wont see you without an appointment.you have to go to a security desk first and they have a list of the appointments

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm

I went down to Trafico, got an appointment waited a half hour, when my number was called I found it was for information only, but the lady gave me an appointment for 5 July, SO WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

Why does everything official in Spain always seem to take 2/3 visits. They seem to change the system everytime you go to these places. Trafico used to be you just turned up used the machine there and waited until you were dealt with completely.

A few weeks agao I went to the Land Registry to get an updated Nota Simpla, used to be go in and five minutes later it was handed to you, now you have to wait 4/5 days, so frustrating.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:50 am

I just changed my Spanish licence for a UK one. Filled out a simple form, sent it together with a recent photo by first class mail to DVLA, no fee as I previously held a UK licence, and my new one arrived back in the post five days later.
Why does everything official in Spain take 2/3 visits? Because it's Spain. :crazy:

Enjoying the easy life back in Blighty! :wave:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:46 pm

When we did ours you had to book an appointment online and there were different options saying what you wanted the apppointment for as different windows were for different things at traffico.so i guess as you just turned up you just got an info appointment and had to make another for what you actually wanted to do.

Hope all is going well for you miro. Sick of the heat already this summer. Could kill to be back home right now. October seems along way off

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 am

The Spanish system is more complicated than the British one but it's not so difficult either. Book your appointment online. As you are changing from a UK one to a Spanish one, there is a list of documents you will need to take which is listed in your confirmation email.

They will then have a chat with Licencing centre in the UK and call you back when that's all done. Go and you will be given a temporary document to show traffic police in case you are stopped

At some point before everything is finalised you will need to do the medical/test, take it to traffico and a few weeks later a licence will be sent by post.

I helped someone do it last summer and that's how I remember it, although some of it might have occurred in a different order. One thing's for sure, it's nothing to be frightened of, even if it is quite a long process.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 pm

We did ours via a gestor. OH's took 3 or 4 months, mine much longer but at least all we had to do was wait for it to arrive (and nag the gestor, occasionally). Cost about 100 euros, including the medical.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:23 pm

So I kept my appointment yesterday, passed over all the required documentation, gave my eMail address and was told I will receive an appointment in about 2 months time to return to finalise the application process. Presumably a temporary licence will then be issued on this 4th visit to the trafico and the actual licence will arrive later.