Moving to Costa Tropical

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Muppet02
Tourist

Moving to Costa Tropical

Postby Muppet02 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:28 am

Hi Everyone,

My Wife and I will be arriving in Almunecar in July, when we will have a look at Almunecar, Solobrena and La Herradura. We plan to relocate to Spain next year and we like the look of the costa tropical and will rent initially in one of the above. We will not limit ourselves to these areas only, but the costa tropical seems as good a place as any to start our search. During our visit in July we will try to establish contact with some estate agents on the ground, in order to start looking at/for rentals before we relocate.

So bearing the above in mind, can anyone recommend estate agents in Almunecar, Solobrena and La Herradura or the costa tropical in general?

Kind regards..........

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Costa Tropical

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:29 am

Try Maria Karcher at http://www.inmokarcher.com/en

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 am

I would think twice about Salobrena. The seafront where all the appartment blocks are is like a ghost town out of season. In July you will get a very false feeling.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm

My favourite is La Heradura....i think you are right about Salobrena Costakid, one woman who i talked to there told me Salobrena has never really taken off and Motril just up the road is more popular, having said that the hilly town of Salobrena is beautiful...
Had i chose to live near the coast then i'd have had no hesitation in choosing the costa tropical, i wish you well in your search...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Be aware of this: http://www.carmenesdelmar.com/en/about-carmenes-del-mar

Otherwise it is a nice area. It depends on what you are looking for, as Almuñecar has more facilities and a good weekly market, plus the old town is pretty too. A bit more lively and more going on than in Herradura.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 pm

The weekly market in Almuñecar is not a proper market, it just sell clothes, handbags and other stuff plus a flea market for junk. The proper covered town market is very good for meat, fish and veg but La Herradura also has a similar daily market, unusual these days for such a small town.

There are no large supermarkets in L Herradura but Almunecar has the biggest Lidl I have seen and Mercadona is huge with parking for 250 in the biggest spaces I have seen.

Almuñecar has a huge health centre, but recently they opened a small one in La Herradura. Average wait for a GP appointment is next day.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:31 pm

I think that it is quite difficult to recommend places to live, we're all so different with our requirements, but I suppose it's good to get a general view of the areas, as the previous forum members have already indicated.

Both my wife and I really like Salobrena---out of season....we like to walk along the deserted beach and find easy parking and shop without crowds, and we would be happy to live there all year round.
And of the places mentioned Salobrena is the place that we would choose and although I couldn't recommend an estate agent, I know that there are several active and established offices there.
There are also numerous agents in Motril that cover the area , for example,
www.inmocasamotril.com
www.inmobiliariaglobal.es
www.dvagestion.com
www.casaycosta.com
I have had no dealings with the above agents, but they may be able to assist you in your search.
Happy Hunting,
Regards,
Gordon

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Is Nerja classed as Costa Tropical? If so, then surely worth considering. Property more expensive but it has many benefits. Good Supermarkets, restaurants and bars, tapas bars, nightlife etc.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm

No, the Costa Tropical is only in Granada province. Nerja is on the Costa del Sol (just) as it is in Malaga province. It's a very touristy place, in my opinion nowhere near as nice to live as on the Costa Tropical. The Costa Tropical is relatively quiet and mercifully free of fat Brits in singlets and shorts.

Apart from late July and August, when all the Spaniards with apartments come for their one month holiday it is much quieter than Nerja. It's busy at Easter as well.

If you like busy Brit bars with non stop Sky Sports and tapas you have to pay for, Nerja is your place. If not, avoid it like the plague - we do and we have lived there. And, by the way, parking is a nightmare unless you pay the exorbitant prices in the municipal car parks. On road parking is dreadful. In La Herradura (apart from July/August) we can usually park for free on the beach in front of the restaurant of our choice.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

El Cid wrote: The Costa Tropical is relatively quiet and mercifully free of fat Brits in singlets and shorts.

Sid
:lol:

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Ouch!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Todays Upwardly Mobile Traveller shuns the all day English breakfasts and Beer Swilling union Jack short wearing Costa del Sol in favour of the more cosmopolitan and refined Costa Tropical where Cecilia & Rupert Cholmondeley-Warner like to soak up the Spanish Culture whilst keeping cool in their new holiday attire :lol:
I So Bella tis you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 am

I think thats a bit harsh cid. I wouldn't want to live in Nerja but it is a lovely place and has some nice restaurants. Its tooooo busy for us but its not as bad as you make it sound.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 am

Almost by definition, if somewhere is too busy for you then you are in the minority. :crazy:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am

While nerja is hardly torremol or fueng with brit bars it gets very busy in the summer with the spanish coming down ontop of the northern europeans. Same as most coastal resorts

Re property imo there isnt that much interms of living there unless you dont mind the urbs that are full of holiday lets, or miles away oitsode of the town or apartments right in the centre.property is ridiculously overpriced aswell and good look finding somewhere that doesnt have damp. I did holiday let cleaning for a couple of years and try finding somewhere you would want to stay yourself!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 am

Stevemul wrote:Is Nerja classed as Costa Tropical? If so, then surely worth considering. Property more expensive but it has many benefits. Good Supermarkets, restaurants and bars, tapas bars, nightlife etc.
Almuñecar has all that too but it does feel more Spanish.

Parking in Nerja is almost impossible these days and it seems to have been much busier than usual this year. I usually have to go each week throughout the winter months and it's taken ages to find a free parking spot. I do find many of the eating places there do feel a bit British and touristy, but then Nerja has for a long time been a tourist town popular with the Brits.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am

and good look finding somewhere that doesnt have damp.
(sic)

....why would Nerja have any more ( or less) issues with damp than anywhere else?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am

costakid wrote:I think thats a bit harsh cid. I wouldn't want to live in Nerja but it is a lovely place and has some nice restaurants. Its tooooo busy for us but its not as bad as you make it sound.
I don't think it was harsh - just a personal view.

It has loads of good restaurants which I frequently go to (assuming they are close to the car park) but I don't do bars and certainly not the ones with Sky. That's my choice. I did say that if that is your scene it's fine.

As for parking, I don't think anyone will disagree that it is a disgrace for a busy tourist town. It could so easily be solved by putting in blue zones like they did in Almunecar and La Herradura.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm

That orange woman Judith Chalmers ruined it in the early eighties when she did a holiday report from Nerja and filmed on burriana (I was there at the time with my parents)....from there on in it became a magnet for Brit holiday makers. Sid is correct that parking is a disgrace but at least they don't have a Macdonalds or Burgerking on Burriana or in the town (Ayo's makes up for that in the greasy food stakes)......yet.....I personally have a chuckle when in February Nerja is awash with holiday makers who insist on wearing Sid's favoured shorts and singlets whatever the weather...We are on holiday we will wear our sorts at all costs, who cares if it's raining and 12 degrees :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I totally agree with the parking. To get free parking you would have to park miles away. lots of kiss me quick type bars but also some excellent ones they we use.