Improving your Spanish.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Improving your Spanish.

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't live in Spain, but I visit from time to time. I was never much good at languages at school, but became interested when we bought a holiday home. We haven't got it now, and just rent when we come.

I like to try and speak Spanish and I took my GCSE a few years ago.

I don't really visit enough to improve and am starting to forget what I learned.

Recently I found a facebook page called Estepona en Corozan. It's just a group where people post stuff and old photos and chat about Estepona. So I look at the comments and try to fathom out what they mean, then press the translate button and check.. If I want to contribute to the thread I try and work something out, then check with a translation app I have.
The other members seem happy to chat and correct me.

I think it's improving my Spanish and I just thought other members might want to try it.

Buenas Noches.

knowal
Resident

Re: Improving your Spanish.

Postby knowal » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Try duolingo online, it's really very good.
https://www.duolingo.com/

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Gracias .
Enchare un vistazo

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

Trouble is I can read and write is not so badly, but understanding the locals in full flood of Andaluz is so hard. I really need to get more practice in as we never really see anyone to speak to very much as we are quite isolated where we live. I try to make an effort when I go to the pueblo but it's really only small talk about the weather. Must try harder .... as my French teacher at school used to say!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 am

Yes the reading and writing is the easier bit.

Mind you I have trouble understanding the people from the Black Country near Burningham.
and as for the Geordies..... No chance

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:43 am

and Kenny Dalgleish in full flow.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am

Oh yes, I have a lot of trouble with UK accents too. I miss the subtitles on TV as I used to use them quite a bit. I'm a softy southerner so I struggle particularly with Mersey, Geordie and Scottish accents.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi All

Ah, the Mersey, Geordie and Scottish accents problem, eh? :thumbdown:

Have you ever thought that our friends from the north west, north east, and Scotland might equally have a problem with mockney and estuary English :thumbup:

Regards to All

Ee bah gum Vincent from Bratfud in God's Own County

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 pm

I think regional accents are lovely and all add to the differences between groups who yet, somehow, share the same language. If I really need to understand someone from oop north I do have to pay attention but that is equally true when I talk with Devonians — and I lived in Devon for over 50 years!!! Here, after 10 years, I still do not understand Extremeño but I tell people that if they want to talk with me it has to be in Castellano — which they can all speak. It's up to them as much as up to me, don't you think.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Wicksey wrote:I'm a softy southerner so I struggle particularly with Mersey, Geordie and Scottish accents.
Another softy southerner here by birth, but having no trouble with the Scouse accents in my new adopted home. On the other hand, when our shipment from Spain arrived a week or so ago on a truck from Swansea (don't ask!) I had real difficulty understanding the boyos who delivered it. One of them asked where I was from, and then asked "ibetyoosorryyoosoldsigadson-eh?" which I thought at first was a Welsh station name, so said "no, Norf Landon, mate". Only after the third time did I finally realise he was talking about Spurs selling Gilfi Siggurdsson to Swansea City last year! :crazy:

I passed a couple in the street talking Spanish today, and found it strangely weird that I understood them. Mrs. Miro picked up a cleaning product in Wilko today and read the instructions, and I had to point out that they were also in English on the other side, since she was reading the Spanish version. Old habits...
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.