Almonds

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Almonds

Postby Rummii » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:05 am

Hi all
Any information on almonds would be appreciated
We have about sixty trees and some of the almonds are splitting open so presuming they are getting ready to harvest ( quite nervous as not really sure what to do ) am researching like mad but any experiences or help with actual picking times how to prepare and store for personal use would be really helpful.
Also any info about co operatives .....do you have to register is there a cost involved , what price per kilo I could expect. We are in Alora area so anyone know of Best and closest co-operative....
Thank you and look forward to any feed back you can provide

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Almonds

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:43 am

Hi Rummii,
Welcome to the A.com Farming community............ :D

Presuming you're not the only one with Almonds in that area...........you need to chat to the locals and follow the season as they do.... :idea:

Our member olive can give an insight to how a co-operative will work........

You might have an early crop, up this way its a autumn harvest.......nets under the trees and beat off with sticks.

With the dry winters of recent years sometime the crops can be disappointingly light and the fruits small and dry.......even if the trees themselves look ok
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm

presto, as if by magic.

We have a number of almonds and planted 4 purchased varieties for fun. We don't sell them just harvest some for eating/cooking. Around here(central Andalucia) harvest time is August. As Enrque says in its basic form net under the tree and beat them off with a stick. They have a husk on the shell that is removed before sale. You can do it by hand but larger quantities are done by a machine. I once saw one going from house to house in Cadiar processing peoples sacks on the street.

Regarding co ops. My experience is based on olive and asparagus but the principle will be the same. Membership is free but you are ask3ed to stump up a refundable deposit- ours is 300 euros. That is added to each year by way of a bonus plus interest based on what you take each year to the co op.The co op has minimum standards for obvious reasons to avoid contaminated or substandard products and expects you to adhere to cultivation standards. That is only for the good as you get advice on what sprays to use, how to prune and so on. It will also run courses for free .The one for pruning olive trees at our co op is ten days of four hours in the morning and four in the evening. Includes theory and a lot of practical. then you are allowed to prune your own trees! the acrediation for spraying weedkiller is worth doing as you get advice on weedkiller, rotation of types and a card to saty you can spray to show to inquisitive Guardia Civil bods.Price of almonds. can't say but it will be a good price.The co op then sells themand has very little in the way of overheads.

Co op also will have a shed with agricultural products like weedkiller and tools.

Your nearest co op may be "full". a lot around us have a max of 500 members and are in fact dead mans shoes. Dad dies and son inherits membership. Good way of mixing and getting advice and integrating. After the AGM most have a soiree with seemingly drinks and food. You might even be able to learn how to prune your own trees under expert guidance on the course.

Our co op has over 1300 members and last year handled 45 million kilos of olives for oil and just short of two million kilos of asparagus.

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am

Hi and thank you for your replies
Never had experience farming or gardening but hopefully learning fast so you insights are much appreciated.
Having looked into it further and the quantities we have and because my wife is health mad we have decided to do it and keep them to produce are own products like almond milk etc..
So have you got any advice on storage techniques ..... I know you de husk and dry them some say then to freeze them quickly and then they can come out of freezer and be stored ,others say take them out of shell and store in freezer.....any experience on this would help
Many thanks for your help and advice

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Rummii,
The locals up this way store then in their shells in sacks.

I have in the past left some in a plastic bag for a few years before de-shelling them.......maybe lucky but they where OK.......

To de-shell they use a hammer on a hard surface......this may take some time, but that's what they have plenty of.......... :D

Best to use a Nut Cracker........can be had at the local Ferretería .............wear eye protectors.......... :idea:

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.