?new driving regs?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ?new driving regs?

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Miro wrote:Since when has legal and illegal had anything to do with driving standards in Spain?! :
Nothing at usually. As far as the law is concerned, it's all written down, but tell that to the Guardia when they fine to for having a distracting T-shirt on while driving!

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm

i have never read the rules as basically the same rules are everywhere and i probably drove in about 20 countries.
the flip-flop rule good though i have broken but only with the ones that have the big toe strap.
Sid, i was not aware that the rule referred to the slow lane being empty.
I am aware that we are supposed to signal but if there is nothing behind to give the message to i often not bother.
I would not be driving without a shirt so i will not comment.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 pm

No, it seems unnecessary to signal under those circumstances, I never do, but watch out for Trafico helicopters as that, and crossing the white line will result in a fine. The same goes for not actually stopping when it says stop. The fines are out of proportion to the offence.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:08 am

I never leave the beach and drive without a shirt but I really think its a ridiculous law to fine someone for not wearing a shirt when driving. You can sit on a beach naked and walk into a nudist restaurant without a stitch on but can’t drive without a shirt. Weird Law.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 am

It is not a weird law. As I said, the law says it is forbidden to drive in a reckless or negligent way. That seems perfectly sensible to me.

What is weird is the way that law is interpreted by certain members of the traffic police to suit the circumstances.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

El Cid wrote:You are missing the point. It is ILLEGAL in Spain to be in any outside lane if the inside lane is empty. It's to deter the middle lane hoogers on empty motorways. It is also illegal not to signal when changing lanes for whatever reason.

Sid
Middle lane hoggers seem to exist everywhere and it is so annoying when the inside lane is practically empty and the middle and third lane are full of cars. I have seen in the UK police cars with an illuminated sign in the back saying 'use inside lane', but a bit like stopping drivers using phones whilst driving, it seems impossible to change people's habits.

One thing which is very noticeable here is that when the motorway changes from 2 lanes to 3, those in the inside lane often move out into middle even though it is empty on the inside lane.

I have also had a few people tailgating me when I am overtaking in the middle lane but there is a third lane and for some reason they will not use it. I am not a slow driver so am not holding people up by overtaking in the middle lane, but I cannot understand why some drivers are weaving about behind me and intimidating me when there is another empty third lane to use.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I have also had a few people tailgating me when I am overtaking in the middle lane but there is a third lane and for some reason they will not use it. I am not a slow driver so am not holding people up by overtaking in the middle lane, but I cannot understand why some drivers are weaving about behind me and intimidating me when there is another empty third lane to use.

Just get a bigger shoe or press down harder.
My own personal experience of Spanish driving habits is they are aggressive at the same time.
ie, they will blow you off the road for going too slow, if you want to overtake illegally they never take any heed, they will always pull into the slow lane when option there on single carriageway.
I have to say it takes a bit of practice and intimating in the beginning but overall i am comfortable with it..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 pm

No road sense, no common sense,no sense of danger, no road manners..............

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:50 pm

"doctors differ"
if we decide to live in a new country it is our responsibility to adapt to the way of life..

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:05 pm

If possible could we change the reference, it is NOT the slow lane or the fast lane. inside and outside or lane 1 and lane 2 are much better.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 am

Perhaps the police could make a start on their own poor driving habits...
...driving with one hand on the wheel, and an elbow out of the window
...driving while smoking
...no seat belts worn - commonplace
...parking on pavements, kerbs and pedestrian crossings, to go into a tobacconist's or cafe
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 am

Lyric wrote:If possible could we change the reference, it is NOT the slow lane or the fast lane. inside and outside or lane 1 and lane 2 are much better.
I suggest reference "lane hopping"

TorreDelAguila, that's called normal driving and i mostly drive that way except when police around, though i have given up the fags years ago...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

So how is it dangerous to drive without a shirt on?? Please explain Sid.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 am

I said nothing about driving without a shirt. Driving without shoes could be a problem.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm

wollie wrote: Just get a bigger shoe or press down harder.
My own personal experience of Spanish driving habits is they are aggressive at the same time.
ie, they will blow you off the road for going too slow, if you want to overtake illegally they never take any heed, they will always pull into the slow lane when option there on single carriageway.
I have to say it takes a bit of practice and intimating in the beginning but overall i am comfortable with it..
I am often already breaking the speed limit :oops: and as there is a free third lane which they can use to overtake me, I refuse to go yet faster. I just cannot understand why they won't use it if they want to pass me. It's not as if I am lane hogging as I am in the process of overtaking traffic (and it's happened to my OH too).

One thing I do find very good here is that they are presumably taught to pull across if possible to allow traffic to come onto the motorway at junctions. I hate it when I am in the sliproad to come on and there is just one car blocking me on an otherwise empty motorway and they won't move over. Sometimes drivers look like they are so engrossed in talking to their passengers (or on their phones) that they are obviously not paying full attention to the act of driving at all.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm

costakid wrote:So how is it dangerous to drive without a shirt on?? Please explain Sid.
Chinese burn types if you stop quick :wink:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:07 pm

wollie wrote:"doctors differ"
if we decide to live in a new country it is our responsibility to adapt to the way of life..
By forgetting road sense common sense road manners etc etc etc. Thats not a way of life its just poor driving in any country. They may all be fatalistic catholics desperate to see "god" but im not.

If i ever end up driving like alot of the natives then i want taking off the road because not only am i danger to myself but more importantly im a danger to others something those who drive in such a fashion neither seem to realise or care about. I guess they havent seen what happens when cars tailgating each other at 120 end up like after a they dont have the time or space to avoid another car.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm

There is a detailed article this month in the N332 Guardia magazine available here

http://spanishvida.com/2017/07/16/n332- ... h-issue-8/

It covers the questions about just what you can and cannot do according to the driving regulations.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:56 pm

elusive, How stupid can you be?

There is another religion creating havoc all over Europe by deliberately killing people with vehicles.
(these people want to die for god and the virgins)
Cop-on and get real or go and live with people where you feel comfortable with.
I think its disgusting to talk about peoples belief on a thread like this.
I think you live in the wrong country? you should try driving in Fez, that's great fun.
Your comments are completely wrong as this is a bit of banter? i think?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: documentation in the vehicle - I've always carried mine, in the glovebox. I was told it's not needed anymore but I still have it there.

Has it now changed to be that you DO have to carry it again?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.