Bore hole advice

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bore hole advice

Postby Rummii » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am

Hi there
We have got a bore hole on our property and it fills two large storage tanks...
I have noticed recently that tanks are not filling up anymore so believe we'll might be dry
I just wondered if there is any safety device on bore hole pump to stop it trying to run dry if there is no water ...I'm just concerned that I don't want to cause costly damage
Is there any easy way to check well in case pump may have failed without pulling it all up...
Any help on this or any experiences on bore holes will be appreciated
Many thanks

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Bore hole advice

Postby probe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Usually the bore hole will have two sensors installed at the time of the original pump installation. These tend to be just simple electrodes. When the water in the bore hole reaches the top electrode it switches on the pump. When it has pumped out the water and the lower electrode is not in the water it switches it off.

Frequently there will be a similar set up in the deposito. This means if the deposito is full it won't pump from the bore hole. If the deposito is not full and there is water there it will pump.

There should be a control box that has the relay switch in it that controls this. If you are not getting water now the most likely reason is the lack of water below ground at the moment. Most of us in our area are getting very little at the moment (or indeed the last two years). The relay can be checked and is another common cause for the system to not work. Finally the electrodes or pozzo pump may have failed. A competent electrician should be able to check this for you. I would advise ensuring you get someone who knows pozzo's to check.

Cheers
Probe

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Depending on how accessible the bore hole is, you might have rats nesting ! We had this problem & they'd chewed thro' the power cable. Now the top of the hole is surrounded by concrete with chicken wire wrapped round it :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Thank you I understand it more now ,I thought there would be senses and have seen relay.....since posting I have seen green light and red light in electrics and when red light is off bore hole pumps ....so I switched power supply off and back on and red light didnt come on at first and pump started to fill storage tanks but only run for short time and red light came back on so I know everything is working ( I think ) so must be what you said water levels are low but glad pump cannot run dry
Thanks again

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:16 pm

How much is it to actually have a bore hole dug?

A neighbour told me it would cost between 10,000€ - 12,000€ they dig approximately 90mtrs if they find no water then that's tough, you still pay :wtf:

terry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 pm

If you do a search you may find quite a long post i did on the subject some years ago.

As well as the financial cost of the actual hole and the kit assuming you hit water, there are some paperwork hurdles to overcome. None that are show stoppers. Just time consumers.

I would say an empty hole is 55 euros a metre ( ten years ago rates). If you hit water then you need sleeving etc.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 am

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 pm

How close are any neighbours?? Be careful where you site your new borehole, if you go ahead with it, as there are restrictions as to how near to another, neighbour's, borehole you can drill. Your borehole driller/expert should know the rules, but check with your cadastral office of the townhall before hand.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 pm

For us it was at least 100 metres which isn't much . Probably be the same or a serving aquifer. That assumes the nearest well is legal .