Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Miro wrote:The (IBI & water/basura) discounts have been available to residents on the padrón in our municipality for years; the longer you've been registered, the higher the discount. There's a further discount for pensioners.
I remember some discussion about this somewhere previously but can't find it now - but I believe that from this year, any discounts (subvencionés) such as these are to be considered benefits which have to be declared on your annual tax return, and will be taxed accordingly.

A case of giving with one hand and taking with the other? It seems like money is literally going round in circles here: the town hall receives extra funds from Madrid based on persons registered on the padrón; those persons on the padrón then receive a discount from the town hall; those same people then get taxed by Madrid on the received benefit. :crazy:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Miro wrote:There has been no development yet, everything is on hold while our "vendors" (hoping that's what they turn out to be) are still looking for a place to move to. Ludicrous situation, this whole chain business in the UK :x
Latest update over at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37083&start=40 :wave:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am

Getting a bit panicky now as we get closer to our "evacuation" date (thanks Benidorm, that one has stuck!)
But I'm wondering....whatever happened to LoopyLisa? No updates since mid March. I was sort of expecting to wave to her as we pass each other going in opposite directions. I hope the second house hasn't fallen through as well?

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Wed May 03, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm returning to the UK in October after 16 and a half years.
Lots of happy memories but as I have the Bipolar 11 illness, unhappy times as well.
I've sold my house way under value.
I would have liked more from the sale but, I won't have the worry if it wasn't sold before I leave.
If you don't have family near to support you when you're depressed, Spain can seem very lonely.
Friends are no substitute and if you have wonderful support from most of your family then it's time to go.
Will I miss Spain? Of course! But I can and will return for holidays.
I'm returning as a divorced woman and going to live a long way from my birth place.
I see this move as a positive thing.
I haven't failed, and I had a job that I enjoyed.
I will continue to improve my Spanish and maybe do some English teaching (my profession), if, or when the time is right.
There are Spaniards wherever you go so I'll soon find a group of Spanish people to practice with.
I have 6 street cats to take back and I'm currently trying to improve their level of English!
Once a teacher, always a teacher!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Good luck avellana :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Yes, good luck avellana.. and good on you for recognising that you haven't failed...Positive thoughts and actions is the best medicine for your depression
:thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 pm

I do hope it works out for you, but with your attitude I am sure it will.

Well done for taking the cats with you, so many returning expats just dump them. I am sure they will thank you for it and be great company for you.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Avellana,
It's good to hear that you have sold your house and even if not for the best price I'm sure that you are doing the 'right thing' by 'moving on'.
I know that some of your time in Spain has been difficult but you have done your best to deal with the situations that have arisen and personally I have to say Well Done.
You will miss the happy times that you have had in Spain but I hope that you forget the bad times and enjoy only your good memories.
I know that you have integrated well with the Spanish community and have been looked on as a valued member of their community, and I'm sure that you will keep in touch with your former students and friends and you will never be far away from them and always in their thoughts and minds.

I do understand what you have been through, I myself have had to live with PTSD for over 50 years and I'm so thankful that I've had a good team around me to help and support me.

When we first met you some years ago, my wife commented 'What a nice lady ', I agreed and we both still think that about you.

Good Luck with your move and I'm sure that everything will go well for you.

Best Wishes,
Gordon & Pauline. xx

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 pm

All the best to you Avellana, from a fellow "returnee". In my book, you're an absolute heroine for giving a loving home to six cats. (Would you like three more?!)
Moving on with a positive attitude and outlook is definitely the way to go. The bad memories will soon fade, and the good ones will remain to remind you that you lived an adventure that many others only dream of, wondering "what if....?" And feeling positive about the next stage of your life is the best way to allay any worries that you may miss the life you're leaving behind. We've just returned from visiting the house we're buying back in the UK (for the first time other than in photos!) and it met & exceeded all our expectations. We're really excited about it now, and can't wait to move permanently.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 04, 2017 7:02 am

Good luck to both of you.
Avellana,
keep in touch with the forum from time to time so we know how you are getting on back in the UK.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 am

Miro,
Good to hear that you are making progress with your house purchase and also great that you are taking a good positive stance with tackling all of the problems that have been 'thrown at you'.
Please keep updating your progress , I'm sure that we are all interested. :thumbup:
Your advice and thoughts passed on to Avellana are good and helpful and I'm sure that she and others in similar circumstances are grateful for your input...
I'm really busy at the moment, don't seem to have much time to join in here at the forum, but I do take a regular peek at what's going on..

Anyway...It's nice to see that so many members past and present residents in Spain are prepared to continue to offer their help and advice to everyone,
a good and decent thing to do, far better than some who used to condemn and mock .

Have a Good Day Everyone, Wherever You are... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 pm

avellana wrote: There are Spaniards wherever you go so I'll soon find a group of Spanish people to practice with.
Took my Spanish registered car to a hand car wash before selling it back here in the UK. Didn't know about the Romanian crews doing these fantastic car wash jobs - who's going to do it after Brexit? Anyhoo, the overseer of this particular crew happened to be not Romanian, but from Barcelona!
We went to our new local council office for a lesson on bin collection days & recycling (what goes inwhat bin etc.) Realsing we probably seemed a bit thick, we explained that we'd just returned from living in Spain for 20 years - and the girl we were talking to said "I'm Spanish!" So she understood us perfectly (about not understanding the bins!)
avellana wrote:I have 6 street cats to take back and I'm currently trying to improve their level of English!
Our moggie has taken to the UK very well. She now growls at the pigeons outside her window in purrfect English :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Slightly off topic - we've noticed that the pigeons in England 'speak' differently to those in Wales !

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Miro wrote: Moving on with a positive attitude and outlook is definitely the way to go. The bad memories will soon fade, and the good ones will remain to remind you that you lived an adventure that many others only dream of, wondering "what if....?" And feeling positive about the next stage of your life is the best way to allay any worries that you may miss the life you're leaving behind.
That is so true.
There is life after living in Spain, and a darn good one it is, too. No more kidding yourself you love the 40º heat in the summer. No more water and electricity cuts. No more tardy and surly funcionarios. No more being treated as a foreigner. No worries about exchange rates. A pound is a pound.
And in Merseyside you won't be far from the seaside! Enjoy!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm about 500 metres from the water, which is about the same as I was in Torremolinos. Can't see too many days at the beach in the forseeable future (although I hear Ainsdale is lovely) but then again, we went to the beach exactly twice last year.
Changing loads of plugs on appliances last week, and wiring up things like the hifi, TV & PC, reminded me how safe UK electrics are - everything earthed & fused. 'Er indoors asked me why I leave the router on & the PC in standby 24/7. I said she was asking the wrong question - she should be asking why I always turned them off when we went out, or at night, in Spain!
The aforementioned funcionario at Sefton Council who we met last week was anything but surly & tardy - and she's Spanish. So anyone who tells me you can take a Spaniard out of Spain but can't take the Spain out of a Spaniard....when in Rome, and all that!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I've been posting on the "Leaving Andalucia" thread about a few of the things we've found strange or difficult to adjust to since moving back to the UK, but this thread seems more appropriate for such things. I hope those who have been following our progress find this.
Our latest difficulty: finding basic cheap cologne. We always bought the supermarket own brands in Spain, to splash on after a shower. The same thing doesn't seem to be available in any shops in the UK, but Boots have it available albeit online only. But the price? :wtf:
Carrefour: 750ml @ €1.87 https://www.carrefour.es/supermercado/d ... -707206400
Boots: 400ml @ £4.39 http://www.boots.com/boots-lavender-wat ... l-10097117
Is there a business opportunity here?
:crazy:
If anybody more familiar with UK shopping than me has any tips, I'd sure appreciate them!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Try Lidl (or Aldi, but I don't have one near me so I'm not familiar with their products) - they do a very cheap perfume (smells quite nice :-) ) & they certainly have men's toiletries, sometimes brand names on special offer.
There's also a chain of discounters called B & M that are worth a look if you have one anywhere near you http://www.bmstores.co.uk/

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

miro,
try Superdrug,they have free postage on-line, B&M as well.
there's also another type of shop next to TK MAX in that arcade.

Just got back from Turkey, 46degrees, that was hot, pool, sea, drink, eat etc ,etc.
It was a hard week!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We've tried Lidl & Aldi, Poundworld, Poundland, Poundstretcher (God help these companies if the UK ever decided to join the euro), B&M, every major supermarket, Boots, Superdrug etc. etc. Home Bargains have 150ml spray bottles of "body mist", which is similar, for £0.79 - which works out at approx 2½ times what we paid in any Spanish supermarket. Still, that's better than Boots, which works out more like 10x :wtf:
Still struggling to get my head around the cost of fresh vegetables - where you can even buy them, rather than frozen stuff, and also the ludicrously small packages (creating enormous amounts of waste). Same with fresh meat. Sainsburys don't even seem to bother any more. The local Polish supermarket is the only place we've found so far that has anything resembling what we know of as a butcher, and the prices are far more reasonable than in the big supermarkets too.
The Pound Bakery (another one hedging their bets on Britain never changing currency!) had no space on their terrace today, so we skipped coffee on the way home. Just can't bring myself to pay £2.50 at any other cafe, for a bog standard cup of coffee, when Pound Bakery sell it for (you guessed it) a quid.
So, apart from the lack of cologne water, cheap fresh loose vegetables & meat, and the ridiculous cost of a cup of brown coloured hot water....I'm pretty happy to have made the move back! :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Miro,
Good to hear that you are settling in!
But you seem to be having almost homesick thoughts about Spain..like no Spanish eau de cologne and deformed fresh fruit and veg.. :lol:
The UK pound shops do seem to be your best bet for cologne, but you have to watch out for when they have clearing lines from shops like Boots etc.
One of our sons has just sent me a 'boatload' of vitamin tablets, ex. Boots normally priced at more than £12+ and he bought them at 50p and £1.!
About 20 years ago we did have a shop in Essex selling all Spanish products which we shipped over every month and of course we did sell big bottles of Cologne..which sold well.!
Anyway if you only have to worry about the above and lousy overpriced coffee then I guess that you are happy.!
Regards,
Gordon