Bees Invading Pool

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Bees Invading Pool

Postby telboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 pm

OK Honey Bees need a drink too in this hot weather but they're upsetting the guests at a holiday rental I look after. I understand the bees may be attracted to the chlorine in the pool. They tend to gather in line near the corner of the pool about ten at a time with others hovering about waiting to join in, this is now happening on of the other corners too. Always had problems with wasps bobbing in for a drink, but it's the first time I've seen this with bees.

Any suggestions for getting them to move on :!: :?:

terry

Gasman
Resident

Re: Bees Invading Pool

Postby Gasman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Provide them with an alternative - we noticed that when we have a pool of water in our "fountain" water feature that we do not bother with ... they gather and drink from that. Apart from anything else, ours tend to get stuck in the swimming pool and drown rapidly! Poor things!
So if you have a shallow bowl with a sloping edge, that would be the best for them, and if they have another option, I am sure they would prefer to avoid the people and the hazards of the pool. Anything like a bird bath should do - not too deep, no waves, and an edge they can alight on and then fly off again.
Got to keep the little workers happy!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:35 pm

We get wasps near the pool, not bees.
Can be persuaded away with a shallow dish of water with granite chips and water in it. They sit on the chippings, and drink the water, and don't drown.
Chris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 pm

We had bees in our flowerpot trays as well as on the telescopic pool cover roof, where there was lots of condensation. We put a bowl of water, with a sloping stone in it, on the other side of the wall surrounding the pool, & once they realised it was there, most of them moved away from us :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 am

Seems they like to paddle, not swim!
Chris