Air show TDM

In this section members new and old are encouraged to post news and information about events taking place in Andalucia.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Air show TDM

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Is anyone going to the air show in Torre Del Mar on Sunday? I read they are expecting 250000 people. Where are we all going to park? I was think of getting as close to Almayate as possible and walking in.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Air show TDM

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:34 pm

I went last year and parked in Caleta (near to Aldi) and then sat on the beach just along from the Eclipse restaurant where we got brilliant views of the planes coming right overhead. We were watching the jets practicing yesterday as they were doing acrobatics high in the sky above the surrounding hills. It was really good last year so will hopefully be as good this year!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm

We enjoyed the dress-rehearsals yesterday, from home in the Sayalonga campo!
Hopefully the mist will clear for Sunday.
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Planning to go tomorrow. Park at Caletta, walk along the beach and park ourselves at a suitable chiringuito. Worked out OK last year.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:32 pm

I noticed a large area has been cleared for car parking at the Rincon end of Torre del Mar.
Turn right at the first roundabout as you enter from the Rincon side on the coast road.
Probably fill up quickly depending upon arrival time.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 pm

More practice flights above us tonight, up to seven in formation, smoke switched on.
Apparently Turkish 'Red Arrows'.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:24 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:More practice flights above us tonight, up to seven in formation, smoke switched on.
Apparently Turkish 'Red Arrows'.
Correct, Turkish airforce but there is only one Red Arrows and they are our boys.

We watched from Almayate beach on Saturday night. 70 minutes of action.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 am

costakid wrote:
TorreDelAguila wrote: We watched from Almayate beach on Saturday night. 70 minutes of action.
Isn't that a Nudist beach? :wink:
I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 am

We went to the evening show last night and it was brilliant. It was advertised as starting at 19:50 but it had already started when we got there at 7.30pm. Loved the jets and the Turkish display team. It lasted about 2 hours in all which was enough as I only really go to the see noisiest and fastest jets. It's much cooler in the evening .... I couldn't sit out for a long period today in the heat. Perfect place to sit in Caleta as the planes went low and fast over us a lot of the time.

Found it difficult to find out more details although there is a bit more in the Facebook page which is on the page below (which us non-Facebook people can look at) but I'm sure last year there was a more detailed programme. http://www.festivalaereotorredelmar.com/

If you get a chance to go today then don't miss it!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 am

Just got back from the vets at Velez Malaga.
Traffic is starting to queue to leave the autovia near El Ingenio.
Solid traffic into Torre del Mar.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 am

Paulinmalaga wrote:
costakid wrote:
TorreDelAguila wrote: We watched from Almayate beach on Saturday night. 70 minutes of action.
Isn't that a Nudist beach? :wink:
The beach is about 2km long with a small nudist section near the Torre Del Mar end if your interested.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 am

Thank you for your in depth knowledge Costakid
I So Bella tis you

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 am

A neighbour returned a little while ago having driven round Caleta and TdM and being unable to Park anywhere.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 pm

It was certainly harder to park this year than last, but maybe the resorts are generally busier anyway and I'm sure Nerja has been much more crowded this year generally. Last year we went Saturday evening and managed to park easily by Aldi but we got one of the last spaces up the hill from there last night. Last year parking was difficult on the Sunday but we did find a space by the main road.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Compared to yesterday evening, there don't appear to be many aircraft going over today. We decided not to go as we felt it would be too hot and too crowded, I hope those who did won't be disappointed.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Compared to Saturday evening when it was quite audible, today I have only heard two fast jets, and nothing for hours now (17.40)

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Got down there at around 10:30 this morning, no problem parking by the market in caleta. Walked along beach and parked ourselves at chiringuito Valera. Excellent food and great view. More jets this year. But they could've finished on something a bit more spectacular than the helis. Thoroughly enjoyed the show and will be back next year. Hmm maybe we should have reserved a table for 2018 before we left..
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:09 am

Lyric wrote:Compared to Saturday evening when it was quite audible, today I have only heard two fast jets, and nothing for hours now (17.40)
According to the posters the Sunday show was 11am to 3pm. We could see the jets from our house yesterday when they were high in the sky and also the Turkish Stars aerobatic team gave us a fly-past a few times. They were very good on Saturday evening. I will definitely be going back next year.