2 year Health Cover

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

2 year Health Cover

Postby AkoAko » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:23 am

A friend who has moved here in the last week from the UK has asked me to post and get more information if theres any to be had and he hasn't misunderstood something he was told , unfortunately he was given little information and really just wants to know if its rubbish or has some substance so he can make further inquiries . He did ring DWP and was told that as he is 60 he cant get an S1 until he reaches UK retirement age .

He was told that a UK citizen leaving the UK to reside either temporary or permanently in Spain can have 2 years of healthcare cover , possibly its for people working here , whatever the situation If anyone has ant further information on that or knows it to be non existent then i would be grateful for anything i can pass on to him .

Gasman
Resident

Re: 2 year Health Cover

Postby Gasman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:51 am

Hi AkoAko - you didnt make it clear as to his employment status which might have a bearing on transfering health care for a period to another country within the EU. If he is asking DWP, perhaps he has taken early retirement. If he is still in employment, then I wonder if health care can be carried over ... early retirement is a totally different situation.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 am

He was working for a big oi company but hes not employed now , doubt he can take early retirement though as he wants to live here for a couple of years before deciding what to do , his only concern is the cost of private medical cover . As a last resort he says willing to travel back to the UK for treatment if he is unfortunate enough to need it .

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:18 am

Up until July 2014 someone below retirement age who moved to another EU country used to be able to get an S1 form for up to two years (based on their UK National Insurance contributions), but that stopped from that date. Now, apart from pensioners the only people who can get S1s to enable their health cover in Spain to be paid for by the UK are workers who are seconded to Spain or family members of someone who is paying UK National Insurance contributions (and in some circumstances, I believe, if they have a long term disability).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

Unless your friend has serious pre-existing conditions then the cost of private medical insurance in Spain may not be vey expensive. My husband and I currently pay €62 per month each, having been insured by the same company for the past 9 years.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks , think that was what i remembered myself from reading somewhere , at least i can tell the guy not to spend any more time looking into that option as its no longer available .

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:43 pm

We got the initial 2 years free cover under form E106 when we first moved here but that was in 2000 so that may have ceased now. I think it depended on us having paid a certain amount of NIC as well. We were in our early 40s so it wasn't anything to do with retirement age but as the rules have changed over the years, this may not be relevant now.