respaying bonnet

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
john the baptist
Resident

respaying bonnet

Postby john the baptist » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm

My old car has seen better days due to sun damage and I was thinking of respraying it myself like what I did with my first car i ever owned.

Does anyone happen to know what Prima is called in spain. the colour cans and clear coat are easy enough as its the usual light silver and then a can of CLARO however the ive looked in the Chinese shop and flue vert and can not find anything resembling base coat.

If not could I get away with just the last two after sanding down the colour with wet 400 grit sand paper???

any recommendations??? I know its cheap enough to get it done professionally but its alot of hassle as I dont have anyone to pick me up and so can not get home or leave it over night with anyone.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: respaying bonnet

Postby olive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Someone else will be along shortly to advise against chinese shop spray paint products.

Bit of lateral thinking. I wonder if it is illegal to drive your car without a bonnet? If you dont have far to travel to your local paint shop how about stocking up on food then taking the bonnet off and then arriving a few days later and putting it back on after they have sprayed it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:26 am

I cannot imagine it would be legal. You have to ask yourself whether it would pass the ITV without a bonnet, which of course it would not. In which case the police would stop and fine you for sure.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:03 am

Sorry i cannot help with the original query but will add to confusion.
I am coming over next week and my neighbor in Spain has a 1990 banger.
He offered to sell to me last time and if there i will likely buy.
Q, how much to have it totally resprayed?
I drove an old bmw a couple of weeks ago without bonnet, wings and bumpers,
I don't think anyone noticed??
Reason being i can take bits off and that's pretty well it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am

The Guardia Civil would have noticed and impounded it on the spot.

Cost of respraying a car is like asking how long is a piece of string. Depends on where you have it done. A blow over or a proper job done in a booth and baked etc.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:48 am

Hopefully the original poster has an idea, they may even take on the job?
If this project goes ahead likely take the car out of Spain.
Likely easier to have done in Spain.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Very good complete job on large saloon car, recent quote €1200, including all stripping and preparation.
A car without a bonnet would constitute "dangerous parts and accessories" in the UK (= injury hazard to pedestrians), and likely the same here. No-brainer for Guardia, so ideal fodder.
My guess is that you could get your bonnet done for €200. Small jobs always disproportionately expensive.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Before getting involved in a tricky job like a bonnet I would call in at a couple of local "chapa and pintura" workshops - you might get a pleasant surprise and avoid all the prepping and paint blowing around in the Axarquia breezes and dust.
Lad next door to us has just done his old Polo, spent ages masking off (I would have removed the bonnet!), rubbing down so paint would key, three cans of spray, more rubbing to removing dust stuck to it.....end result a scruffy car!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Agree completely. You will never get even a half-decent job with aerosol cans after a rub down. Shop around a few pinturas.
No idea where you're based, so can't recommend anyone.
Chris

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:55 am

ok thanks everyone I was thinking of taking the bonnet off a my house then spray in the garden and prep in the garage, Id never drive around without a bonnet and the garages what me to leave the car with them for 2 days.

I cant just leave it with them as i cant get home nor do I have 2 days to give them without car.

I was hoping for some more constructive input thats the whole point of the post. Why anyone would believe I would drive around without a bonnet and the legalities is a bit disappointing as it reads like people have been on the gin and tonics early and on several before posting.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

I've resprayed my mum's Opel omega bonnet, roof and boot this year, ok, I have access to a paint shop, but I rubbed it all down in the garden, then sprayed it with cans - imprimación gris, then the colour, then laquer. It looks absolutely mint.

I've also done my car as well, imprimación gris, then the colour, then the laquer.

If you go to a paint mixing place they will put it into a spray can for you, for about 11 euros, so you'll need maybe 2 or 3 of each "layer".
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:29 am

Hi

A pal of mine recently had his quite large Toyota pick-up prepped and completely re-spayed at the local chapa y pintura - away for five full days but he was loaned a courtesy car, and a superb job for €1500, but we are in a small agricultural town 60k from Sevilla, so perhaps a bit cheaper than on the coast. Anyway, he's very pleased, and reckons that it was excellent value for money

Hope this helps

Vincent