Lucifer heatwave

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Lucifer heatwave

Postby olive » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I wonder if there is a body that names the heatwaves (like they do with storms). If so maybe the next one will be Mephisto(phles)!

How are folk managing the heat and how are your water supplies holding up? Has anyone had any cuts. We were verbally advised to help out by not using very much if possible. And yet in the last two weeks one hundred cu metre tank , well and solar panel have been installed. A further three dry bore holes of 130 metres each have been drilled. In the past illegal wells were picked up and rejected when they applied to be connected to the mains electricity. Solar panels neatly bypasses that check.

On the heat side, July never seems to bad but by the time you get to August I find it a bit wearing. The lack of sleep does it for me. Can't get to sleep till late on , then something or someone wakes you at what they consider to be a godly hour. Roll on September!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lucifer heatwave

Postby gavilan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm

we are all too hot to write anything ... 37 here ... and has been for a week or more!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Apart from one week in late June, I'm not finding the weather any hotter than it usually is at this time of year. One day this week (Tuesday, I think) it was cloudy and felt positively cool. July wasn't bad at all as regards high temperatures, but it was too humid and cloudy for my liking for a fair part of the time.

We haven't experienced any cuts in water supplies here, but I believe agricultural supplies have been disrupted since April because of the prolonged absence of rain.

The headlines in the UK press are all talking about places like Sevilla where 40C+ temperatures are nothing unusual in the summer.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:38 pm

42 degrees on the Time and Temp Display at 5.00pm by the library in Velez Malaga, the air is hot and stifling, but pretty normal stuff for the time of year.....some of the locals who frequent the bench across the road looked like they had melted....but they look like that in Jan :lol:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Its that bad we have just come back from a days shopping at the miramar shopping centre and iceland (unfortunatly the shop not the country!) 35.5 degrees on the car temp near the airport. Lovely cool aircon but i think everyone else had the same idea.its like the U.k when its raining and cold.everyone heads to the shops. Now back to the house with no aircon. Interms of previous years i dont think its any worse.just seemed to start early, mid june

Never thought I'd say it but being to hot is worse than being freezing and this is coming from someone who worked outside in freezing temps and so hated it.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:28 pm

A comfortable 23° where I'm sitting in N.W. England :wave:
Was chatting via video with a mate back in Torremolinos last night, and felt hot just looking at him! Sweat was lashing off him, poor sod! :lol:
But cheer up folks, it's only 141 days to Christmas - and then you can start complaining about the cold!!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:30 pm

firsttango wrote:42 degrees on the Time and Temp Display at 5.00pm by the library in Velez Malaga, the air is hot and stifling, but pretty normal stuff for the time of year.....some of the locals who frequent the bench across the road looked like they had melted....but they look like that in Jan :lol:
In the street displays almost always display inaccurate temperature readings as they are in full sunlight with inadequate protection from direct sunlight.

It is certainly hot, but not exceptional for August. We tend to record high temperatures as we are about 250m up in clear air and the rising air is hotter than that at sea level. Yesterday was 39.9 and today 39.4, but in both cases the humidity was thankfully quite low around well under 20%.

As far as the Spanish met office is concerned, it is not an official heat wave and they have only issued the normal high temperature warnings which they do all through the summer. There was an official heat wave about two weeks ago where, in Cordoba/Seville area they got to a new record of nearly 47c.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Up here in the far north of the country, there's no heatwave. In fact, it's rather chilly and it's been raining all day.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Blame it on the tourists :lol:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 pm

13c in Newcastle upon Tyne.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Wish we still could see where people are located. Don't know why it's changed.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Has it changed?
Location showing OK for me for all the participants in this topic.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Not on mobile view, only on PC

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:52 pm

30C up here in Murcia, but humidity 74%.......sweaty betty rules!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 am

The combo high temperature and high air humidity is dangerous... I think 36C is where you die after a couple of hours regardless your age or health issues. You need to be careful with the humidity, it is often overlooked when people check the thermometer.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 am

Flexo wrote:... I think 36C is where you die after a couple of hours regardless your age or health issues.
Eeek! I'm dead and didn't know it.!!
For several hours yesterday afternoon the temperature here was around 40C.
Cheers
Ex Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 am

Crediting the wrong guy there gerry - it was flexo's load of cojones! :crazy:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am

I'm dead so allowed to misquote :angel:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't know if it's just us but we think it's one of the worst summers for heat, and it started in June. It is 30 degrees in the bedroom all night with two fans on as well, one on the window ledge trying to drag in some cooler air plus the ceiling fan. I feel as if I am suffocating this year and we really need to make plans to spend summers elsewhere if this is going to be the norm.

Another problem for us is that there are so many flies outside that we cannot spend anytime out in the garden as we are just bombarded with them. There is about a half hour gap after the sun goes down when we can go outside, but then the biting insects attack so it's back into the hothouse. To say we are feeling miserable is an understatement, and I'm not sure why it is that neither of us can cope this year. The pool water is just over 34 degrees too so not very refreshing. It's really just for a couple of months a year as we like the climate here otherwise, but at the moment I would love some rain and cooler temps. How those inland are coping with temps in the high 40s this summer I don't know although I see it's much of southern and eastern Europe affected, so not just here.

Perhaps it is the humidity that makes it feel worse and we do have a very lush garden that wraps itself up to and around the house, so maybe that's part of the problem at our place.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Never thought id say it but you do get very fed up/depressed when you think i have another x amount of weeks/months of this. Same as in january etc in the U.K You do literally feel trapped something you would never comprehend as a holiday maker or when making plans to move to the sun. You understand why those with money or somewhere to stay leave for 2 months. Saying you have to put up with it to enjoy the rest of the year isnt of much use when its the begining of August! with no aircon and temps still 30 at 23.00.

Looking to apply for my dream job back in the uk in the next month or so as its a case of now or never at my age and frankly at the mo it couldnt come soon enough
Last edited by elusive on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.