Lucifer heatwave

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lucifer heatwave

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh, I couldn't agree more! We have taken to going out for a walk most evenings when the sun goes down, that does help a bit with the trapped feeling.

I have said in the past "I'm not going to spend July and August here again" but here I am! I suppose you forget just how difficult it is to cope with these temperatures once the weather cools down..... Nice to know I'm not alone, I've been moaning like crazy on facebook :(

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah i think you do forget or you enjoy the rest of the year and think ill put up with it until you get to july and then remember!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Elusive and Irene, glad we are not alone! I think it's the thought that there are still several weeks to go of this when we've already had enough, unlike someone who just comes here for a week or two's holiday.

We have been out with friends a couple of evenings down to the coast which was lovely but then when we got home the house was even hotter than usual as we had to leave it all closed up, when we usually open it up after the sun has set and when temps outside are a little cooler. We don't have rejas on the windows so cannot leave them open. Mind you I did get a lovely couple of mozzie bites whilst sitting outside a café by the beach in Torre del Mar .... I obviously attract them wherever I go!!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Very true we went out last night to watch local dancing.which makes a change as we are normally to tired to .But when you come back the house is hot cause you have locked evetything up.you cant win!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Mrs W there is a two word solution to your perceived problem the first one of which is Air :think:

Bite the bullet.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:22 pm

gerryh wrote:
Flexo wrote:... I think 36C is where you die after a couple of hours regardless your age or health issues.
Eeek! I'm dead and didn't know it.!!
For several hours yesterday afternoon the temperature here was around 40C.
Cheers
Ex Gerry
I clearly included air humidity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature
sustained wet-bulb temperature exceeding 35 °C (95 °F) is likely to be fatal even to fit and healthy people, unclothed in the shade next to a fan; at this temperature our bodies switch from shedding heat to the environment, to gaining heat from it.[7] Thus 35 °C is the threshold beyond which the body is no longer able to adequately cool itself. A study by NOAA from 2013 concluded that heat stress will reduce labor capacity considerably under current emissions scenarios.[8]

A 2010 study by Purdue University concluded that under a worst-case scenario for global warming with temperatures 12C higher than 2007, the wet-bulb temperature limit for humans could be exceeded around much of the world in future centuries.[9] A 2015 study concluded that parts of the globe could become uninhabitable.[10] An example of the threshold at which the human body is no longer able to cool itself and begins to overheat is a humidity level of 50% and a high heat of 46 °C (115 °F), as this would indicate a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F).[11]

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Crediting the wrong guy there gerry - it was flexo's load of cojones! :crazy:
Read up on wet-bulb temperature, in particularly NOAA and NASAs research and please please please with sugar on *beep* top, stop pretending you know *beep* you haven't even read about and stop being so *beep* patronizing.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

In other words the dangerous temperature would have to be 46c - not the wet bulb temperature (which 99% of people have no idea what that means - I am one of the 1%)

In other words, what you say is technically correct, but confusing and irrelevant.

The temperature here yesterday was 39.9 but the humidity was very low at only 11%. I didn't see any dead bodies in the street either!

If you calculate the wet bulb temperature based on those two readings it is 16c - somewhat far removed from 35c that you say kills you

If you want to understand all this stuff have a read of this

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Heat_index

If you look at the table and put in POR's readings of 30c and 74% humidity you will see that the apparent temperature has risen to 36c - hardly life threatening, just as Peter said, a bit "Sweaty Betty".

Sid

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Flexo seems to have misquoted again. Or, perhaps, quoted selectively and erroneously so perhaps POR wasn't far off the mark after all.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm

:lol: But be thankful he hasn't blamed the heatwave on Ryanair!!
I So Bella tis you

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 pm

sweaty betty is preferable to sweaty cojones....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Well i am in the UK for 5 days and it rained most of Saturday. Quite nice today. around 20 degrees.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 am

Lyric wrote:Mrs W there is a two word solution to your perceived problem the first one of which is Air :think:

Bite the bullet.
Trouble is with aircon is that you get so used to it quickly and then it seems even hotter outside. When we go into Lidl or a shopping centre it feels really cool but within 20 mins we have got used to it and it feels quite warm, until you step outside into the heat and humidity. We open up the house in the evening and do not want to be locked indoors with aircon on all the time.

Unlike your house MR L we only have one floor which is all south facing so the roof and walls gets very hot. You can barely touch the walls on the western side of the house in the evening even though we are shaded by plants. We are up against the rockface on the back of the house which also acts like night storage heaters, so it is difficult to get the house to cool down when the fabric of it is so hot. I thought of hosing it down but I think it would just steam and create more humidity :?

Last night seemed a bit cooler which was nice .... a bit of a cool breeze coming in when I woke up at 4:30.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:30 pm

I am arriving Sevilla tomorrow at 11am, what temp can i expect?
I looked at el-tiempo but i do not think its accaurate...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:35 pm

wollie wrote:I am arriving Sevilla tomorrow at 11am, what temp can i expect?
40 plus for sure

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:37 pm

The Spanish Met Office seem to think it will be cooling tomorrow with a high of only 37c. There is no rain forecast :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm

It's not so hot today, but very humid. My bulbs are very wet :D :D

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

wollie wrote:I am arriving Sevilla tomorrow at 11am, what temp can i expect?
El Tiempo say 36c. Spanish met office says 37c. Looks accurate to me and they give a much more detailed forecast than the Met office. Perhaps you know better?

It is run by the guy who used to present the forecasts on TV1. He is probably one of the most respected weather experts in Europe and is President of the Spanish Meteorological Association and is a member of the Governing Board of the Spanish Met Office. Personally, I think they are the most accurate forecasts you can get for Spain.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

El Cid wrote:In other words the dangerous temperature would have to be 46c - not the wet bulb temperature (which 99% of people have no idea what that means - I am one of the 1%)
What part of this doesn't you understand?
A 2015 study concluded that parts of the globe could become uninhabitable.[10] An example of the threshold at which the human body is no longer able to cool itself and begins to overheat is a humidity level of 50% and a high heat of 46 °C (115 °F), as this would indicate a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F).[11]
In other words, what you say is technically correct, but confusing and irrelevant.
I am getting seriously tired of you. If you actually read the wikipedia page article you see that there has been several heat waves in history that has reached lethal wet-bulb temperatures.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 pm

El Cid wrote: If you want to understand all this stuff have a read of this

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Heat_index

If you look at the table and put in POR's readings of 30c and 74% humidity you will see that the apparent temperature has risen to 36c - hardly life threatening, just as Peter said, a bit "Sweaty Betty".

Sid
But we were not discussing 30C were we? If you actually plug in the values I stated in the table you linked you see "extreme danger" at 34C and 80% air humidity.

BTW, I am a trained professional to work outdoors in high temperatures with safety gear. I have taken courses. The disrespect you and others have shown me on this forum is truly adorable.