Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:03 pm

It amazes me that people from Merseyside and indeed Manchester often overlook New Brighton and the Wirral for a day out in favour of other destinations.
That peninsular is for me as good as it gets. Also going back to New Brighton itself, as of the last time I visited (3 months ago) parking was free and plentiful for the entire length of the promenade, unlike Southport.
Don't know whether you've visited recently but I simply can't believe the white sand on the beach now, like the Bahama's and actually seeing fish when the tide is in. A far cry from when we used to go with my mum and dad.

Losing the fairground was a shame and also the indoor fair which had some historic rides housed there, Wilkies Wonder Waltzter for instance, thankfully that's nearing the end of a full restoration. Would love to see it back there.

The new shopping shopping centre on the prom is a bit of a wart but probably generates many jobs and income, and at the end of the day it is only one small part of the prom.

Must nip over again very soon!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you for the update DA,
It is about 10 years since I last visited New Brighton, but my sister keeps me informed, she also told me that there is a Spanish Tapas bar there, have you visited it ?
All resorts in UK and Spain seem to have ups and downs and go quite seedy then recover, I prefer to remember it as it was, I actually ran a Lucky Duck stall for 2 seasons when I was 11/12. owners were friends of the family and my brother had the roller rink next to the Wall of Death, I helped with both..great times and good money for a youngster.!
I spent most of my life at the seaside, New Brighton, Scarborough, Whitby, Hornsea ,Benidorm and also Sarasota in Florida, and I'm still trying to get used to living inland in Spain.!
As I mentioned previously ,if I ever get 'fed up' of living in Spain I will probably return to the Wirral, I've many relatives living there.
Send me a postcard next time that you are in New Brighton... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

An update on the things that we notice being different on moving back:
Mrs.M reports that one unexpected upside is that the housework is far easier to keep up with here; in Spain, the apartment was dusty every day, no doubt on account of the dry climate and the windows being open all year round, whereas here, despite the house being considerably larger and mostly carpeted, even with a few windows open most of the time, it simply doesn't get any near as dusty and needs far less cleaning. The rain must be cleaner, too, because in Spain after rain all the windows needed thoroughly cleaning - not so here.
Happy days :wave:

(The cat still seems to generate the same amount of hair all over the place though - maybe come winter she'll learn to retain a bit more, for extra insulation!!)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Id certainly agree about the dust Miro...however i dont mind brushing the tiled floors and mopping..if the grandkids drop or spill anything its no big deal...Cat hair or dog hair everywhere is a no no...I hate it on couches,chairs,floors,in our car and on our clothes..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am

Agree re the dust. All that sand everytime it rains. I miss carpets!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am

Devils Advocate wrote: I'll brief you on where to buy the Holy Grail of Cauliflowers locally :mrgreen:
Funnily enough, we were over your way yesterday, at the Concourse in Skelmersdale, and stumbled upon the nearest thing to a proper greengrocer we've seen for a while. They had huge cauliflowers for a quid each - also decent sized broccoli for a quid. Loose tomatoes, reasonable price too. Bit far to go on a regular basis though - and I almost lost the will to live after the 57th roundabout and trying to find my way back to the M58. Bad memories of Milton Keynes.... :lolno:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 pm

How the heck did you find that........I still get lost on the Skem roundabouts :mrgreen:

Yes, that shop is superb, I should have mentioned it. The guy who owns the shop owns the farm and fields behind our house and put's his produce in there when harvested. He also does seem to source his other products very well.

Did you try the Polish shop next door too?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm

The Apt that we recently purchased back in Bristol came with two allotted underground parking spaces and when we were back recently for a few days a friend came to visit so I ventured down for the first time to meet him and help carry a few thing up....what struck me was all the cars were clean, ding free and parked well.....I'd totally forgotten how much better the Brits treat there cars, unlike in Velez Malaga where virtually all cars seem to have dings, bumps and missing hub caps as a badge of honour :lol:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:36 pm

DA: Next door has a fairly good range of foreign stuff, but the Polish shops in Southport are better. They do stock large bottles of Maggi seasoning, much cheaper than in Spain - but WH Lung is even cheaper!
FT: the general driving and parking standards are still a source of delight for me - even after 2 months back here!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:44 am

Never tried the Polish shops in Southport. However we sometimes go to the "Thai rice" restaurant in Bold street and there's what looks like one opposite. Is that one of the one's you use?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, the wonderfully named Smakus, which has a small but proper butcher counter. Also Baltic on Eastbank St., opposite Cash Converters. They sell fabulous smoked sausages, cheap too.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm sorry I haven't replied to your kind comments.
I'll bring you up to date.
I'm moving to Wesham between Blackpool and Preston.
My house is being prepared for me by my wonderful sister and brother-in-law.
I think my cats are going to love having a garden!
The house is in a cul-de-sac so no passing traffic.
I'll be 5 minutes walk to the local train station so I'll be independent.
The shops in Kirkham are 20 minutes walk and there's a Morrisons!
I've already made a Spanish contact in Wesham and I know there must be lots more Spaniards about!

The last week of September is going to be very busy!
My things are being collected on the Monday, psychiatrist appointment on the Tuesday, cats being collected on the Thursday and I'll fly to the UK on Friday 29th.

I'm struggling with what to take, what I'll try to sell and what will go to charity.
VERY difficult as I'm a hoarder and I have lots of non-fiction books to go through.
Saying goodbye to the Trabuqueñ@s is probably going to be hardest thing but there are so many ways to keep in touch these days.

The next time I write here will probably be when I'm in the UK.

So for now, hasta luego.

Sheila

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Seems like the North West is a popular place for returnees and other A.com members lately. I can personally recommend it. :thumbup:
I'm sure you've planned thoroughly and made lists etc. Can't beat a good list!
From my own recent experience, I would suggest you get rid of as much stuff as you possibly can. Moving home is the best opportunity to do so, and it's very cathartic once you've got over the initial reluctance. If like me you rarely re-read a book - turf 'em! You can always start collecting anew once back in the UK, & the charities will make good use of them. Once you've got rid of everything you can - go through it all again and turf some more. We were amazed at some of the stuff we shipped and then didn't need. Although our new home is bigger than our old one in Spain, it's a totally different shape, and finding places for stuff was surprisingly difficult. The charity shops here benefited too!

It will be a stressful time - there's no escaping it, but keep in mind at all times your reasons for the move, and know that it will all be worth it. You will not regret it. And best of all, you'll have six beautiful little furry faces to help you settle into your new home, which will be full of love. :D

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Avellana
Hope you have a great time moving ... but do look after your cats if they are not used to having a garden/being outside ... they may have a new tendency to wander if it is all fresh and exciting to them. Are they microchipped - if so, you will need to change their registration to the UK. Contact your vet or nearest Rescue society for help on this. As I understand it when a pet crosses borders, the chip is still readable of course but the new country cannot access the information held in the old country, and in any case you need them registered to your UK address etc.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Good points. You should keep the cats in for a few days before letting them out, so they get to know where "home" is now - where the food & love is! Then, when they do go out, they'll want to come back to home base.
They are surely chipped already, as this is a requirement for bringing them into the UK, but it's true, although the chip number can be read with any scanner, the info held for that number (name & contact details etc.) is only held on a Spanish database that cannot be accessed in the UK. You probably won't want to have them all newly chipped - better to re-register the existing chips in the UK. Your vet will be able to advise, but you can cut the middle man out by contacting Identibase: https://www.identibase.co.uk/ (The first company my local vet put me onto couldn't help, and passed me on to Identibase) It cost me £12.95 to re-register the chip number with them, with my new UK details. They might even do a discount for six - worth asking; they're very friendly and helpful.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm

One thing that flummoxed me was when I was left to my own devices on a recent visit to our new apt in Bristol I popped out for a wander and under a minute away saw a nice looking Cafe called Spicer and Cole where the waitress asked me "Would I like a seasonal tart with my coffee" took me a while to understand her question :D

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Thank you so much for the advice and best wishes.

The cats are chipped and vaccinated and they are all sterilised.
There is a garden which they will love but as suggested I will keep them in for at least a few days.
They have a cat flap which works by reading their microchips. This could be a problem when reregistering them in the UK.

Time seems to be going so fast and I still have lots to do to decide what to take.
Also so many official things to do!
I used my Spanish bank account for income and expenditure so I need to contact INSS to get it paid in UK.
I have to deregister with medical centre etc etc.

This song helps me when I'm anxious

"woyaya" Lyrics

Osibisa

We are going
Heaven knows where we are going
We will know we're there
We will get there
Heaven knows how we will get there
We know we will
It will be hard we know
And the road will be muddy and rough
But we'll get there
Heaven knows how we will get there
We know we will
We are going
Heaven knows where we are going
We will know we're there

Bye for now

Sheila (trabuqueña de adopción)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 am

I don't know how they work but if you are taking the cat flap with you to re-install in your new home, and if you re-register their chips by contacting the organisation I mentioned or similar, I would imagine there will be no problem, as the flap surely just reads the chip numbers? The chip numbers won't change.
If INSS are anything like the UK pension service, then changing the account where your pension is paid from one account to another, even in a new country, should just be a simple phone call.
(See how quickly I've forgotten what it's like to get anything done in Spain? :lol: )

It will be hard, we know
But you'll get there... :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am

firsttango wrote:...took me a while to understand her question
I'm still having a few embarrassing moments, usually in supermarkets, when I get bombarded with unfamiliar questions: have you got a Nectar/bonus/club/discount card; do you want cashback; do you need parking validation; do you need assistance packing; do you want us to think for you so you don't have to, etc. etc.
I replied to one bemused lady "I have no idea what that is, but can I get one?", thinking she was asking me if I had one of their store cards, when in fact she'd asked if I was parked in the car park (I wasn't). I rather meekly muttered "perdone, no entiendo" and shuffled away :lol:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 am

Devils Advocate wrote:try Volare on Lord street. Not the Restaurant but their deli next door but one. Have a cafe solo and tell me what you reckon?
I keep meaning to, I really do - but each time I pass with good intentions it seems to be a Tuesday and they're closed. But anyway, just over the road on Union Street, almost opposite Punch Tarmey's, I've discovered a relatively new take away cafe, with a few bar stools to sit in if you want, and they serve a very good Americano, proper machine made...for £1.00. (Con leche for Mrs.M @ £1 as well, with a sprinkling of cinnamon too, so no shabby back street Kaf) Very friendly place, too.
I could walk about 100 metres to Lord Street and pay double for the same thing, or....
Still struggling to understand coffee economics here. If a cafe in Torremolinos charged €2.40 for the same thing that everyone else charges €1.20, they'd be closed within days (although Costa Coffee does seem to be able to trap enough unwary tourists to stay in business).
I now have three £1 options for when we're out and about: this new one (sorry, didn't see the name), the Pound Cafe, and Buttylicious, run by a Polish couple, just off the end of Lord St. on Leicester St. :thumbup: