Lucifer heatwave

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Lucifer heatwave

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 am

38.5C in the shade, and 10% humidity at about 6pm here yesterday. Wind up to 43km/h. Hairdryer stuff!
Chris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 am

38 in the shade yesterday on our terrace around 3pm.And the wind blowing a gale very much like a hairdryer. At least it kept the holiday makers inside with their aircon on so i could get in the pool for once!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 am

It reached 42.2C in Vélez-Málaga yesterday (official temperatures). Last night was horrible as it stayed so hot, but as forecast it is cooler this morning.

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga-capital/ ... 06-nt.html

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am

Incredible temps. We've had a busy year so far and have only just been able to start making plans to get over there. Friends in the village have advised us to leave it a few weeks more because of the climate at present.

Amazing to think we are only a 2.5 hour flight away and it was 15 degrees here at beer o clock and BBQ time yesterday but feeling colder. Oh for a happy medium haha.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 am

Devils Advocate wrote: Oh for a happy medium haha.
That's exactly what I said yesterday morning when we met a couple of part time residents whilst out shopping. They'd arrived at the weekend from their home in Manchester, and said they hadn't seen the sun for 3 weeks before leaving.

Yesterday is the first day since the spell of really hot weather in late June that I have found it really unpleasant here, and that was only for one day, so over the course of the summer I don't find that much to complain about.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am

To be fair FIL, I and also the OH are not really complainers of the weather. I love rain, sun,snow,thunder and misty days all as much as each other. The only times I can recall complaining (a bit) is during prolonged spells of extreme weather. One was in Spain when we had a month out there when temps never fell below 38 and the other was during the two last cold snaps a few years back in the UK where we had icicles dangling from the roof for weeks on end lol.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am

Free at Last wrote:It reached 42.2C in Vélez-Málaga yesterday (official temperatures). Last night was horrible as it stayed so hot, but as forecast it is cooler this morning.

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga-capital/ ... 06-nt.html
Recorded a maximum temperature of 43.3C here at 17:18 :thumbdown:
Didn't believe it until I saw your post.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 am

So the Maximum yesterday in Malaga province was recorded here in Velez Malaga at 42.2C ......and with that wind on top made it feel unbearable, but thankfully noticeably cooler today.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:49 am

Devils Advocate wrote:I

Amazing to think we are only a 2.5 hour flight away and it was 15 degrees here at beer o clock and BBQ time yesterday but feeling colder. Oh for a happy medium haha.
We watched the Spanish weather prog on Antena (on around 4pm if anyone is interested) yesterday and it was reported that night time lows in Zamora the previous night were 1.8 degrees! There were other places in the north of Spain that had very low temps, so you don't even have to leave the country to get a cooler climate. In Navarra they had dreadful ice storms with hail stones the size of eggs that smashed up cars and came through the roof of farm buildings leaving it looking like a sieve. Very extreme weather just within Spain in one day! When we lived in France we used to get those tropical-like storms in the summer which were quite terrifying at times ..... I felt sorry for the sheep that were in the farmers barn when they were being pelted with chunks of ice :shock:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Now now girls! At the end of the day noone needs any instruments to tell them it us hot and stivky, and I for one have never heard of anyone simply dying in these conditions!
Blimy! Sorry that is an insult! Is it only "girls" who squabble Peter! :evil: Not even women. In deed it is getting hot, but no the way you think :shh:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 am

What an extremely uncomfortable night that was, 99% humidity at midnight, even thought temp was much cooler it was just so sticky.
I So Bella tis you

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 am

Been lovely and cool here. I didnt need the fan on at all yesterday and through the night! It is lovely and cool today also.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Nipped over to Ireland to see some friends for five days, getting back Thursday.

Never stopped raining or got above 16 degrees. Have ended up with a streaming head cold.

Looking forward to some Andalucian sunshine in September.

"Lucifer heatwave"... what a terrific name for a heavy metal band !

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 am

Wicksey wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:I

We watched the Spanish weather prog on Antena (on around 4pm if anyone is interested) yesterday and it was reported that night time lows in Zamora the previous night were 1.8 degrees! There were other places in the north of Spain that had very low temps, so you don't even have to leave the country to get a cooler climate.
Last week was cool in Bilbao. On Friday we started our drive down to Andalucia and stoppped for a coffee around 100kms north of Madrid and couldn't sit outside because it felt quite chilly.at around 11:00 in the morning We stayed in Madrid for 24 hours and although hot, it was rather pleasant in the shade with a nice cool breeze, which is quite unsual in August.The south of Madrid was a different story and it started to get really hot and in Granada last night it must have been in the mid to late 20s at midnight.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

Mark it is much cooler now after that dreadful heatwave on Tuesday. It is actually a comfortable temperature in our house now and there's been a fresher breeze. Our bedroom has gone down from 30 to 25.5 and we didn't even need our fan on in there last night ..... not sure if it will last but it's nice at the moment anyway!