Android TV Box Not Starting UP !!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

Android TV Box Not Starting UP !!

Postby john the baptist » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am

Hi all my android box will not start up. Ive done the factory reset back to v4.2.51 and then try to start it up but nothing.

I dont think its "bricked" as i can get to the reset menu via the button on the bottom. I believe the box is called CS918 Pro TV Box and was bought from Costa Smart up on the costa blanca who have now stopped operating and trading due to the new law that came in and so avoiding prosecution.

I do not want to upload or install a firmware as I believe that it CAN BE fatal if you get it wrong and it will brick the box.

All I can really do it factory reset again and again. Is there anything else I should be doing??? should I download some external program on usb and reboot from USB???

Please please please can someone help the wife is missing GMT in the morning and its making my life HELL!!!!!

for all you husbands out there I hope you feel my pain. Normally I can fix load and tweek most things but this has got me stumped and even the kids and the cat are not happy. as always any help will be greatly appreciated.

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Android TV Box Not Starting UP !!

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

If you can boot into the maintenance menu and reset or clear cache from there the chances are you're gonna have to reload the firmware, although I'm no expert. Just make sure you get the right image for the box.

Given how cheap these android boxes are now makes sense to keep a spare rather that then get a severe nagging from the missus, and you'll get brownie point for getting TV working again quickly.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

In the mean time use tv catch up website or app to watch uk t.v

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 pm

any ideas how to identify the correct firmware for the box????

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 pm

carefully :-)

Ok so that's not much help... I've tended to avoid doing this as there are so many variations of hardware that go under the same model name. Do a search for CS918 Pro, or RK3188 firmware. There are a bunch of sites around that have custom ROMS as well at those serving the original firmware.

Maybe here https://www.gearbest.com/blog/download/ ... re-pack-50 for example.

Or bite the bullet and buy a replacement box or a firestick. Even Wortens have the for not too many euros. Get that working, then try and flash the old one and with any luck you then have a backup.

Best of luck, and hope the boss doesn't leave you with too many bruises.
Regards

Bob