BBC News In Pidgin

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

BBC News In Pidgin

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Bit of an odd thing to be spending the licence fee money on especially as the bbc local Radio stations are facing big cutbacks?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... geria.html
I So Bella tis you

Parilla
Resident

Re: BBC News In Pidgin

Postby Parilla » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am

Am dis day April 1st ?

Parilla

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

You would think so lol
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:33 pm

But surely that's what the BBC world service has always been about. People around the world have always relied on the World Service for independent and impartial news going back to WW2.

More info here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37990220

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Just read the article.....you only have to read the comments section to see what people think......Not impressed is the overwhelming concensus of opinion.
The part that annoys me is that its costing the U.K Taxpayer £289 million....yes its creating 1,300 new jobs....vast majority of which are NON-UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

I have always been a fan of the BBC and what it does. I don't read the comments from readers of the Daily Mail because of the paper's anti-BBC agenda. I just tried to put it from a different perspective.

I Understand why people can get annoyed but I also see it from the other point of view. I'm sort of on the fence, Indignant that so much money is being used when there are cuts in the UK service but at the same time. independent news getting to a wider world audience.

The Mail's headline is also misleading because it say that £289 million is for West Africa and gives the impression that the £289 million is only for this one language although it does mention other languages towards the bottom.

The BBC article talks about a whole range of services for this money across all Africa, India and the far east. I suppose even this wouldn't change people's opinion but at least it is based on the whole story
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Africa cannot be simply left to the Chinese and others to exploit; an extra perspective is the least they're entitled to.
That 75 million target population exceeds that of the United Kingdom.
The Daily Mail has its own agenda, and has much to answer for in the way of mis-information and cultural prejudice.
I have seen amd heard, first hand, the on-going damage that they do.
Never have we needed the BBC and others of like mind before.
Chris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Africa cannot be simply left to the Chinese and others to exploit; an extra perspective is the least they're entitled to.
So its perfectly fine that Great Britain and others have been exploiting Africa for Centuries is it? In fact Britain has probably been the worst.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... arafrica05
http://www.osisa.org/economic-justice/b ... cas-wealth
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:44 pm

It's a different opinion which is just as valid as your first point.

There are diffrent ways to exploit a country and what is being talked about here is allowing these countries to hear a wider range of views and nothing to do with the links you posted which is specifically about the exploitation of Natural resources in Africa and slavery.

In fact as has already been pointed out that this will give jobs to people there and gives back some of what is mentioned in the two links. Where I might have a problem with this is if the exercise is to give credence to the language, then I don't think the BBC shouldn't be supporting it but if it is to inform then I tend to agree with Chris
Mark
Resident of Spain for 15 years
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Dress it up all you want but it does seem a massive waste of the Tax Payers Money especially when they are cutting back on all Local BBC services at home.......I for one really would prefer my small part of the licence fee that I still pay to go to BBC services in Britain not on some vanity project in Pidgin or Korean or any obscure language that isn't going to help in Plymouth. Fully support the World Service as it used to be when it was the only way for people in far off places to get world news "London Calling this is the BBC" in English btw not Punjabi. But hey this is 2017 and the Era of 24/7 rolling global new via the internet.