BBC iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Chunky Monky
Resident

Re: BBC iplayer

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 pm

firsttango wrote:......less than half of when just using the DNS......DNS - 304mbps --VPN - 106MBPS......NOT GOOD
That's a matter of opinion! We're inland in the Malaga region and our download speed is at best 7Mbps - 10Mbps!! LOL

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 pm

I am using a VPN router, all working OK at the moment. Yes , a VPN does reduce speed (by about 60% in my case).
Gerry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Sorry about your download speeds but my figures were put up in response to El Cids question regarding using Smarty VPN as opposed to the DNS and thought as he also gets higher speeds than many with his supplier it would be valuable information as to what he should expect running the VPN on his router rather than the DNS Change only.
UPDATE: Now working again with Browsec .....for the moment on Macbook

Message to NorthandSouth......I don't want to hear how well your iplayer is working in the Cotswolds otherwise when I'm back in Bristol next I'll sneak round and block your signals :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Yes, it works with Browsec. I'm also having problems with C4. I get "not available at the moment" on the TV, but it works fine on Chrome without Browsec.

I am beginning to get very fed up with all this faffing around. I'm quite happy to buy a TV licence to enable me to watch BBC TV on catchup.

When I get the new router setup I will report back. Even if the VPN doesn't work, it's a pretty good router - ASUS RT-AC66U

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 pm

GerryinCajiz wrote:I am using a VPN router, all working OK at the moment. Yes , a VPN does reduce speed (by about 60% in my case).
I find that if I use VPN configured on my dd-wrt router and connect a device to it the speed is down by 50/60%. However if I run the VPN direct (Openvpn client) from my android box or PC through a standard router then normally i lose very little speed, maybe10% max.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I am running the VPN direct (OpenVPN client) from my Macbook Via my Movistar FIbre router standard router and losing the the amount reflected in the figures mentioned in earlier post.... over 50% slowdown......have left it installed but disconnected on the Macbook as it didn't unblock the iPLAYER and speeds back up to 300 both ways. Even if it had worked not sure I'd have installed it on a router as it would then massively slow down all other devices.
See what happens with Smarty etc over the next day or two if not trial a FEW VPN'S Directly to the Fire TV....TIL THEN TV Player on Firetv

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 pm

I have several devices that cannot have VPN installed on them, TV, ps3, yamaha cinema amp, hence the need to have VPN installed on the router.

But I have two routers, one with openvpn with the wan port plugged into a spare LAN port on the internet facing router, which has no VPN. So i have two WiFi networks, one VPN, one not and connect to whichever is needed. Having said that devices the can have openvpn on do due to the minimal speed difference and so are normally connected to the non-vpn WiFi.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Be good to know if anyone else here has tried or is using the SMARTY VPN as opposed to the DNS and what results they getting? ...... Just popped it on OH's Macbook Air ....Smarty Open VPN On 137 DL And when disconnected 295......marginally better but still over 50% drop which is significant. Hate to think its just me that gets this big drop off when using the VPN. If like you I was achieving only a 10% drop then I may consider it.....IF smarty got it to unblock iplayer on Nowtv

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:55 pm

That's Macs for you...... :lolno: light blue touch paper and retire to safe distance.

BTW I'd be well pleased with 137.... Up in the campo I have a mere 12mb, but I have to say that is more than fast enough. Right now I have 3 phones streaming YouTube (grandkids here on holiday) and I'm watching grand designs without a hint of buffering.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm

casita-bonita wrote:
BTW I'd be well pleased with 137....
Not when you know you can get 300+....I'll overlook your Mac comment :lol: But enjoy the 4k experience with 12mbps :thumbup: :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm

This morning I had similar problems with Smarty.
Home page not loading properly on TV and on Fire TV the app wouldn't even load. It was only working on Laptop
Changed to UnBlockus and all working fine using their servers.

Yesterday had similar problems and changed to UnBlockus but other posters told me that they had no problems so I changed back and it started working again.

Today i didn't bother to change back and now I'm out so I can't test it but has been working fine all day

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 pm

firsttango wrote:
casita-bonita wrote:
BTW I'd be well pleased with 137....
Not when you know you can get 300+....I'll overlook your Mac comment :lol: But enjoy the 4k experience with 12mbps :thumbup: :lol:
If my TV was 4k capable the I may worry about it. Anyway I doubt my old eyes could tell the difference between 4k and 1080p or even 720. Hard enough reading the TVGuide from where we sit in relation to the TV. :thumbup:

We *should* be able to get Orange 4g at 50mb or so but they have a 50gb per month limit. Not enough for a months TV.
Regards

Bob

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

I have a VPN Router and when I questioned the supplier about the speed drop he said it was due to the low spec processor used in routers. When running on a pc the processor is more powerful, thus a higher speed. Smarty VPN is working OK withBBC Iplayer, for the moment.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello

Can I get another dns and disable smarty when it isn't working? I have Smarty in my router for the Now TV box but is smarty is disabled could the other one kick in for the Samsung TV apps?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Don't believe you can do it automatically as you'd need to change the DNS settings on the router to switch services, and possibly revalidate your IP address in the suppliers GUI.
Regards

Bob

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm

And as another ploy, I have a router sitting in its box. If I plumbed say, smart DNS proxy into that could I just swap routers?

Or is that too daft for words?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Anyone else managed to get Smarty VPN to access BBC iPlayer??

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Unicorn wrote:And as another ploy, I have a router sitting in its box. If I plumbed say, smart DNS proxy into that could I just swap routers?

Or is that too daft for words?
Not really daft, but lot of hassle.

Thought tho, and I haven't tried this. Set internet router with DNS settings for smarty. Take your second router, manually configure the DNS servers for the alternative DNS settings and wan IP address. Then plug it into a LAN port of the first router. Connect to one WiFi or the other depending who's service you want to use.

Like I said haven't tried it, but it could well work as desired.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Bit of extra info.......just this minute on Macbook pro with Browsec set to U.K iPlayer Tried to access...NO JOY.......Tried just with Smarty DNS ....NO JOY--------Then cleared history and cookies for the last couple of weeks ......Tried again and iPLAYER Worked with Browsec and Worked as per Normal with the SmartyDNS Installed on my router with Browsec disabled.

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 pm

firsttango wrote:Anyone else managed to get Smarty VPN to access BBC iPlayer??
Yes...last weekend when the DNS wasn't working and again today.
At this moment, 11.35pm, all seems to be working again with the DNS!!