Weather

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: Weather

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Lets hope the downpours due top up the water supplies a bit and clear this awful humidity
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 pm

The humidity will likely increase after the rain as the temperatures will go back to normal and the wet ground will create even more humidity. The current high humidity is mainly caused by the prevailing Easterly winds. A change to Westerlys would help.

The common effect of clearer, less humid weather after rain is a phenomenon common in the UK where the rain is caused by an Atlantic weather front. The present situation here is completely different.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 am

Well it certainly rained last night thunder and lightening from around 1am and got up to shut windows etc at 2am and it was raining andalucian style.couldnt see a thing across the campo to the village thankfully the 3 cultures festival was almost done by that point fireworks finished at 12.30 just the all night DJ was supposed to have been palying if the equipment hadnt been blown up by all the rain. Guess it was pulled as it would have been dangerous to say the least

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:59 am

Well over here with our Atlantic influence, we have the delight at present of leaving the windows and shutters open for a breath of fresh air (22ºC) passing through. Clear skies overnight and this morning but clouds are gathering again now - hoping for some rain tonight and/or tomorrow before it swings up north. Sorry, you lot over in the east/Med area have torrential downpours and more heat/humidity on the way up from North Africa. It will do the plants and reservoirs the world of good.
Enjoy!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Lot cooler here so far today with a nice cooling breeze......really feels a lot less humid even though it isn't. Whatever the actual readings say It is a relief not to be perspiring as soon as you start to do something that involves movement :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

One week back and not a sunny day in the far North of Spain yet apart from the evening we got back. The 7 days before we went on holiday were cloudy as well. This has been the worst August weather since I moved here.

I know little about weather systems but I've been told the clouds become trapped between the sea and mountains. Go 25-40 kms to the South and the weather is completely different.

This clip from a Spanish film with the stereotypical view of the weather here of a guy traveling into Basque Country though a tunnel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8epmw-yM0Y
The film is called 8 apellidos vascos and gives a comedic view of the cultural differences in Spain particularly Andalucia and The Basque country. Some of which are probably somewhat caused by the weather.

I certainly wouldn't mind a Summer that was constantly hot and sunny like It is in other parts of Spain but i suppose if I lived there I'd soon get fed up with it.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

We watched that film in our spanish class. Looks beautiful in the north.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:03 pm

I see 'meteo-malaga' has removed the high alert/red warning from its site and 'weather underground' has reduced the amount of rain expected on wednesday from 38ml to 5! ... that desperatelly needed rain has passed us by yet again!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:25 pm

An amazing display of lightning in the night but not much thunder. Torrential rain but not really for very long...... hope we get some more.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 am

Very little rain here as well compared to what we were expecting even though the lightening was dramatic overnight Sunday/Monday morning. This morning it was only 19 degrees in our conservatory which feels quite chilly ...haha. Shows how much we have aclimatised to the heat.

Mark we'll have to house swop for the summer. Relentless heat is very wearing when it goes on for weeks on end and I have often wanted to just jump on a plane for the north when I see more reasonable temperatures forecast there. I loved Galicia when we went a few years back, the greeness of the countryside and the wonderful beaches.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:06 am

Hi,
Had plenty of heavy rain on the mountain, roads closed with mud and stones, nearby village a mess too, haven't had one of these tormentas for a few years now. Good that the locals have JCB's and get stuck in clearing up.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 am

El Cid wrote:The humidity will likely increase after the rain as the temperatures will go back to normal and the wet ground will create even more humidity. The current high humidity is mainly caused by the prevailing Easterly winds. A change to Westerlys would help.

The common effect of clearer, less humid weather after rain is a phenomenon common in the UK where the rain is caused by an Atlantic weather front. The present situation here is completely different.

Sid
Well it is much cooler now after the massive showers on Monday morning. It feels more like the end of September than August. I was expecting to be in a steam bath as the rain dried but it never happened.

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

Feels much much fresher today, thank fully the humidity doesn't seem as oppressive at this lower temperature and things feel a lot more pleasant

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 am

You're right, it does feel less humid, but, as you said, that is mainly due to the lower temperature. Both the temperature and humidity are forecast to rise slightly later in the week. Hopefully we will get more rain in September. If you remember, the great Nerja/Almunecar floods were at the end of September.

We have had very little rain here, only about 4mm which is not going to fill the reservoirs!

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi,
25.5mm on the mountain, and heavy enough to move some of mud and stones down slope
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Definitely much fresher today, a pleasure to sit outside
I So Bella tis you

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 pm

The warning on the AEMet website mentions a D.A.N.A. (alias Gota Fria), and they say the air is highly unstable and results are difficult to forecast.
The heaviest bursts of rain will be in Almería and Murcia today, Tuesday, then move up the coast, reaching Cataluña on Thursday.
That's if their forecast is right...