DNS on different devices

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

DNS on different devices

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:25 pm

This is probably a stupid question :oops: but I have put the Smarty DNS settings into my router and it all works fine on PC, TV and laptop, but can I also put it into my laptop's settings as well?

Would it conflict if I put the DNS settings into my laptop when the wifi signal already provides it. When I am not at home then I wanted the DNS installed into my laptop so I can still watch TV...... writing this out it does seem like a strange question :oops:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: DNS on different devices

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Wicksey,
Yes you can put DNS setting into your Laptop.

No stupid questions, just some easier to answer than others................. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 pm

You can use as many devices as you want with your SmartyDNS as long as they are all on the same network and have the same external IP address.......so you can't watch on your laptop from a different Ip address to your TV or PC simultaneously. Maybe install the Smarty VPN on the laptop and connect it when required??

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I think as well if you put your DNS settings into your computer, it will only work using that WiFi network so should you go to a bar, you would need to input the DNS settings into the new network again then update the IP address.

With hotspots it remembers the DNS settings but in certain hotspots, public places or hotels the DNS doesn't work anyway so you would need to use your VPN. Not only that, the VPN needs to be used to download BBC radio programs. I've literally just downloaded the Today program and it works perfectly with the Smarty VPN.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks chaps. I think that's what I was thinking, that the DNS is linked to my home IP address and system. It's for times that I go away and stay somewhere with wifi (not a hotel) that we use my laptop to watch a bit of TV at times, but it's not the end of the world if I cannot get it to work. I shall have a look at the VPN.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:30 am

It is linked to your IP address but you can relink it to a new address very easily. With SmartyDNS I just put a bookmark link in the bookmarks bar which revalidates the new IP address with one click.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:39 am

Hi,
When I had a play with it (SmartyDNS)...........had a short cut on desktop to validate IP

So you should be able to take it anywhere and it will work.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Assuming that you have a Windows PC you can go into the adaptor properties and set the IP address to be assigned by DHCP, but configure the DNS settings manually. This way no matter where you connect to a wifi network you will always have the correct DNS server settings for Smarty. The IP address will be assigned by the network's DHCP server.

Then as already mentioned you will simply need to validate your current ip address with the Smarty server and Robert will be your father's brother.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 pm

Ok .... I think I got a bit lost there Bob but I'll have a look at it over the weekend. The bookmark for validating the IP address rings a bell so I'll have a go. I used to just use Filmon but now that's no longer available for free it would be useful to have the DNS set up.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

The first few steps vary depending on the version of windows, but you need to get to the Network Connections window which shows your currently configured adaptors.

On Win 10:-

Click on your wifi (or ethernet) icon in the system tray. Beneath the list of wifi networks you'll see 'Network & Internet Settings' Click on this.

In the next window click on 'Change adaptor options'

The resulting pop up is now pretty much the same for all windows versions.

Right click on your Wi-Fi adaptor and select properties.

In the next popup scroll to 'Internet Protocol version 4' , highlight it then hit the properties button.

In the next popup you will see radio buttons to select automatic or manual setting of IP address and/or DNS server settings.

Leave IP set to auto

Select 'use the following' for DNS and then enter the addresses of Smarty or whoever's servers you want to use.

Having done this your DNS servers will remain the same whatever ISP you connect to, but the IP address will be assigned by them.

One caveat. It is possibie that as a security measure an ISP may block direct external DNS queries from internal devices as traffic through the firewall is easier to manage if there are limited internal devices that perform external DNS lookups. In which case you may need to resort to VPN.
Regards

Bob

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 am

Are you saying that doing this you'll be able to simultaneously use SmartyDNS with 2 different IP addresses??......in other words be able to Validate both IP locations from with in his "client area" at the same time??
Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:46 am

I'm a she if you're referring to me Paul :wave: For me I won't need to use Smarty in two different locations as when it's active on my laptop it will only be whilst I'm away from home and the router at home will not be on. I presume without being connected at home it's not active?

Thanks Bob I'll have a look at that (and the laptop does has Win10).

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:52 am

Apologies Wicksey for the gender blunder have edited my post to make it more general as my Question is to Bob
I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:47 am

:lol: No problem ...... until the other week I thought 'olive' was a girl :shock:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:55 am

Paulinmalaga wrote:Are you saying that doing this you'll be able to simultaneously use SmartyDNS with 2 different IP addresses??......in other words be able to Validate both IP locations from with in his "client area" at the same time??
What it's saying is that no matter which/where wifi you connect to you will always have your DNS server settings pointing to SmartyDNS, and you will get an IP address, gateway address, subnet mask etc from the ISP's DHCP server.

Probably not. I don't use smartydns, but a similar service smartdnsproxy. With them you can only validate a single external IP address for DNS redirection at any given time, but easy enough to validate a different address via a web page. I expect smartydns is the same.

If I could be in two places at once I could use the vpn on multiple devices in different locations concurrently. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to be in two places at once so haven't tried it :-)
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Wicksey below is the SmartyDNS link guiding you through the DNS Set up for your Laptop.....very straightforward guide with very helpful graphics
https://www.smartydns.com/support/how-t ... n-windows/

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks firsttango. I didn't want to do it in case it all went phut .... these things tend to happen to me :) but it seems that it won't be a problem.