HELP!! New Android TV Box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

HELP!! New Android TV Box

Postby john the baptist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am

Hi all,

I got a new box as the old one died thanks to everyone for the advice, its great as its a MXQ x4 cpu etc, much faster etc. i do live the different home screen with the coloured boxes as it has "clean memory" function and "kill all apps" and im working on putting kodi 17.1 etc.

Im an expert on android but im struggling with this very and screen. can anyone help with the following as Im sure we all have has the same problem.

(1) the weather at the top (san roque for me) is in Fareneight I can change location but not to Centigrade can anyone help???
(2) I will fill up the box with apps like showbox, movieHD etc sports channels etc but im struggling to put them in the screen as it only takes 9 short cuts at the bottom. where do i put them
(3) ive gor online video, my recommended , settings, my apps, local , CLEAN MEMORY (brilliant dont want to lose), these six big boxes then 9 smaller ones, its not enough as usually have 15+ shortcuts. any advice??
(4) without wookie should i bother with kodi at all???

As this is new and fast I want to use it as the main box in the lounge so has to be very simple for the children and wife (no offence to them) the irony is that its a simple interface for new users but actually for heavy complicated users like us brits here its not user friendly, or in my case I cant find all the apps ive installed via usb nor can use these "idiot tabs" to find anything.

I love the clean memory functions so also want to know do people simply just change it back to the normal android screen like we have on the phones or do people actually keep this nice bright home page???

thanks everyone

dxf
Resident

Re: HELP!! New Android TV Box

Postby dxf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Hola

I am an avid Wookie user - but I bought my box from http://www.entertainmentbox.com (no connection with company) but they do have a million videos to answer most questions if you don't want to use the Wookie. The downside is they use YouTube

Sorry - have made link work - not .co.uk but .com - my apologies

Davexf
Last edited by dxf on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 am

Have you tried installing a different launcher, which will give you a different home screen?
Regards

Bob

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

can you recommend another launcher I have never seen the memory release facility like i have on the phone.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:18 pm

dxf wrote:Hola

I am an avid Wookie user - but I bought my box from http://www.entertainmentbox.co.uk (no connection with company) but they do have a million videos to answer most questions if you don't want to use the Wookie. The downside is they use YouTube

Davexf

i thought wookie has been down due to the death of the main administrator. is it working now???

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 pm

dxf wrote:Hola

I am an avid Wookie user - but I bought my box from http://www.entertainmentbox.co.uk (no connection with company) but they do have a million videos to answer most questions if you don't want to use the Wookie. The downside is they use YouTube

Davexf
BTW the link does not work!!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:28 pm

So Google entertainment box and get the working link................ :idea:

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 pm

john the baptist wrote:can you recommend another launcher I have never seen the memory release facility like i have on the phone.
I used Everything Me launcher on my boxes/phone/tablet for a while, can recommend that one, Apus was ok too, or even the vanilla google launcher. There are loads and loads of them to try out if you can be bothered. Try googling 'top launchers android'. I was happy with Everything Me and only played briefly with a couple of others since it did all that I wanted.

If you don't want to lose the clean mem button you can install something like All-in-one toolbox cleaner which allows you to put a 'clean memory' icon on your home page, or 360 Security Lite has a similar capability.

Right now since I upgraded to a phone with Android 7 I use the standard launcher. On my current TV box I have left it on the stock one with the coloured tiles since it does the basic stuff that I need for a TV Box quite satisfactorily. Sure the limit of 8/9 apps in the toolbar seems like a issue, but in reality there are probably only 4 apps (Feersum, Perfect Player, errr ummm ok so that's only 2) that I use a lot and want easy access too. Kodi has it's own button already. The rest of the apps, including those that I have side loaded are accessible through the 'apps' button.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Forgot to add that I have never used Wookie or any other build. I much prefer to install vanilla Kodi and just the addons that I want/need in order to
provide all the functionality I need but keep memory requirements down. Slimmer is faster :-) Anyway my requirements wouldn't necessarily match those of whoever built the build and I'd end up trying to customise it.

For example I very much like the estouchy skin which is an updated version of re-touched and from screenshots that I've seen most builds use confluence or whatever it's been renamed to in 17.x

But I can see the attraction for those who don't have the time or knowledge to install just what they need.
Regards

Bob

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 am

thanks you for your help its much appreciated.

cheers