Summer ferry crossings from UK to northern Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
HugoW
Tourist

Summer ferry crossings from UK to northern Spain

Postby HugoW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:16 pm

As we have enjoyed our road trip from the UK to southern Spain this year, we thought we'd explore the Portsmouth/Plymouth to northern Spain ferry options for next summer. We have one very bad sailor and three fairly bad ones in our party, but we are hoping to dose up on travel sickness pills if necessary. We would be interested in people's experiences and recommendations. As Yorkshire folk, we will be looking for the cheapest, quickest option(!) but as we have children, we will definitely need to book a cabin. Apologies if all this has been covered on previous posts - if so, perhaps someone can tell me the topic to search. I have done a quick search and found a few things. From northern Spain we'd be heading down to Granada and hoping to do that bit of the journey without an overnight so would be looking to arrive in the morning in northern Spain.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Summer ferry crossings from UK to northern Spain

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi HugoW,
Search......... Brittany ferries .......... on this site

For cheapest crossing..........

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie

Check out the Brittany Ferries time table to see if you can get an early arrival. Maybe Plymouth has better timings I always use Portsmouth now.

The one I use arrives circa 18:00hrs and then drive to Lerma for overnight stop.........not what you want.

You may get a deal booking through a Third-party.... :idea: , I book direct as have Club Voyage Card so get 33% discount plus a breakfast or two if I have company.

If you decide to go économie you will need to book early.............I've only ever booked once and then had to cancel so not managed to use this service.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Plymouth Santander on the Pont Avon is 21 hours. You arrive lunchtime, the drive down to Granada will be 9 hours. I take 10 hours to drive to Malaga but that is refuel and grab a coffeee, sandwich and crack on with journey.

It can be like a mill pond in February and blowing force 9 in July so it is definitely a bit of a lottery with the crossing. Also it is never really cheap.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi costakid,
" Granada will be 9 hours"..........."but that is refuel and grab a coffeee, sandwich and crack on with journey"

Crack on is the key here...........keeping to the speed limits its 8 hrs from north of Granada(Alcala La Real) to Lerma and then 3.5hrs to Santander.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm

To be honest, dont bother with Economie , we have used it several times as we can have the dog with us in the cabin , the last crossing in April this year bored us ****, 29 hours with nothing to do but sleep in the cabin with a pillow that went flat to the mattress with the weight of your head on it (we have both had to have Physio on our necks since the crossing ), so much so I cancelled the crossing for next week as soon as we got back and changed it to St Malo and I will drive down and back . When the 2018 bookings were announced I booked for April and September on Cap Finistere with pet-friendly cabin and with Club Voyager was only £80 more expensive per crossing than Economie.
kerbut

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi,

"a pillow that went flat to the mattress with the weight of your head on it"............you can ask for more pillows if they are required.

"29 hours with nothing to do but sleep in the cabin"...........great time to be able to read a book...... :idea:

" Cap Finistere with pet-friendly cabin"...............at least you booked early ... :thumbup:

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 am

Enrique.

" time to be able to read a book". Couldn't agree with you more.

What do people expect on a ferry crossing. A bit of gardening, cookery classes, communal singing ...?

I suppose these days most people are glued to their laptops or mobiles and have forgotten how to use a bit of P&Q for themselves.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

Hi,
On the "cruise" crossings there are all sorts of "entertainment" going on........... :idea:

" glued to their laptops or mobiles " and when out walking in the beauty spots in UK with head phones, difficult to get attention should you wish to pass on a narrow path.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Absolutely.

I really enjoy the ferry. Time to read and relax. It's nice to stroll around the decks - even if it's raining. I have to admit it is expensive, mainly because a lack of competition.

We certainly don't rush off the ship and drive non-stop down to the coast. Aside from the fact that it is dangerous, what's the point in rushing. It can be quite cheap to stay over in the smaller towns as you head south. Quick glance at Booking.com, or similar and you'll find somewhere reasonable to stay for the night and to get a bite to eat. They are all certainly better value for money than in the UK.

Regards

AB

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Alcala Barry wrote: Aside from the fact that it is dangerous,

Why is it dangerous - highwaymen or something? :) :)

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm

[quote="Alcala Barry"]Absolutely.
We certainly don't rush off the ship and drive non-stop down to the coast. Aside from the fact that it is dangerous, what's the point in rushing.

How is it dangerous? No more dangerous than driving to the supermarket. If you fall a sleep at the wheel then that is dangerous but you could do that driving from Malaga to Marbella.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Bilbao to Malaga is approx 950km and about 10 hrs driving. Most people aren't used to driving such distances in one day. If you are an HGV driver that is different because you do that day in and day our and are used to it and you have to take your proper breaks (checked by tachographs etc).
Joe average is not. So when you jump in your car, aim for the coast and drive for 10 hrs (by your own admittance only stopping for coffee and fuel) it would be unrealistic to say that you don't get tired and could fall asleep at the wheel. People do.
Last summer a neighbour of mine did exactly that - he always boasted that he never stopped and could get from the ferry to the coast in XXX hrs. But last year he didn't. He fell asleep (his wife was already dozing in the pax seat) hit two cars and smashed into the central reservation barrier. He has only just recovered. He can not work any more after being stuck in hospital for three months and his wife limps around aimlessly - a shadow of her former self. But they were lucky. The driver and passenger in one of the cars they hit were both killed.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 pm

(checked by tachographs etc).

You are out of date , its Digi card now
kerbut

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Fair cop kerbut, you can tell how long it is since I last used one.
In my day, from memory, they were Veeder Root and Kienzle and you had to insert a paper disc. Having to check/read them was a right pain in the a***.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Keebut.

Only just noticed that you live in Brittany, mainly and costa del sol in the winter.
That sounds like a very good set-up.
We are far too hot here in the summer and bloomin' cold in the winter.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

The secret to not falling a sleep at the wheel is when you get tired close your eyes and count to ten. Its like a little power nap. Don’t try to get to 20 as you might go into a permanent deep sleep.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Fair cop kerbut, you can tell how long it is since I last used one.
In my day, from memory, they were Veeder Root and Kienzle and you had to insert a paper disc. Having to check/read them was a right pain in the a***.

Yes they changed about 5 years ago , They were a pain but I could make one disc last a week !!!!, we used to clear Barcelona customs on a Friday lunchtime and be on the boat at Cherbourg on Saturday afternoon , I dont think I could do that now.
We acciually sold in Brittany and moved back to Dorset 2 years ago , I must upgrade my profile .
kerbut

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

costakid wrote:The secret to not falling a sleep at the wheel is when you get tired close your eyes and count to ten.
Surely not when you are driving?
You will have travelled 222mtrs travelling at 80KPH and closing your eyes for 10 secs
You will have travelled 333mtrs travelling at 120KPH and closing your eyes for 10 secs
Plenty of time to have caused utter carnage particularly if there is a lot of traffic around.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Don’t worry Gerry if your driving along the A7 near Velez. I was joking. Tongue in cheek old boy.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

We once did Santander-Torrox in about 10 hours. Disembarked at Santander about 9 in the morning and get to Torrox 7:45 in the evening. We stopped few times each time about 15 mins for fuels and food but that was the only time. The other time we either stayed near Burgos or Palencia then we only need about 8 hours driving.