Where to move to Andalucia for 6 months?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ksdad
Tourist

Re: Where to move to Andalucia for 6 months?

Postby Ksdad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Many thanks to all for all the great feedback.

My wife and I are right now considering the cultural choice between village, small town and larger city. Gordon's post was very appealing.

Geographically, we are looking at the coastal area S of Grenada, as well as the hillier/ more mountainous areas inland around Granada (including all of the places named in this thread). We are also looking at the city of Granada itself. We seem to have drifted away from Sevilla and Cordoba.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

Ksdad,
Good to hear that the advice from the forum members has been helpful to you. :thumbup:

May I suggest that if you really want to blend and soak up the Spanish culture, that on arrival you forget where you have come from and who you are and quietly make every effort to mix with the locals, 6 months is a short time to integrate, however possible...
Regards,
Gordon.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Have you ever considered Estepona, great location and facilities.

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 am

Many thanks for the suggestion!

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:41 am

Again, thanks for everyone's input. It was really valuable!

We finally decided to spend a couple of months this summer in a village or town setting, then to move to the Albaicin in Granada for the beginning of the school year. We just rented a house there. We are still searching for the right village and house for summer.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 am

Seems like you may be missing this summer?

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 pm

It's for 2018 :-) I rented the house in Granada for Sept -Dec 2018. Now we are looking for a place for summer 2018, June-Aug.

On top of all the locations suggested in the thread already, my wife is also researching Jimena de la Frontera. For summer we want to avoid the Mediterranean coast.

My kids loved Tarifa when we stopped there a few years ago (they both surf and sail, so kite sailing would be totally their thing), but I am afraid Tarifa might get crowded in summer. I found it a lovely place though: eerie to see the Coast of Africa at dawn!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm

If your son doesn't need to be at school from June to August, come to Canillas de Aceituno! (The school is for younger children)There are lots of lovely white towns, which you already know, of course but I would recommend mine because it doesn't get too touristy in the Summer months. Have a look at East of Malaga's blog on Canillas, that will give you a good idea. It's about 20 minutes from Lake Vinuela (watersports on the lake) half an hour to the coast and about 40 minutes to Nerja. I must say we stay put during those months, the coast is too busy for us although if family are visiting, I occasionally accompany them to the coast :) There's a fabulous swimming pool on the edge of the village, mountain views all around - and a very good bar/cafe on site. Usual amenities, doctor, farmacia, shops, restaurants. I'm sure everyone thinks where they live is the best but where we live actually is! :wink:

https://eastofmalaga.net/2014/07/30/one ... -aceituno/

The Albaicin in Granada is a fabulous choice from September onwards!

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Ksdad

From what you have written on here so far, I would suggest that you go for Granada. You will be able to cope with the climate variations and it is a lot more interesting than most coastal locations. We frequently visit Granada and I think you and your family would find it a welcoming city. With its mixture of modern commercial Spain and the deeply historic areas and their moorish influences, it is a vibrant place with a mixed population. Wonderful place for beer, wine and an eclectic mix of restaurants.

It is very easy to travel around from there as a base and, as others have pointed out, the south coast is easily accesssible as is the Sierra Nevada area to to the south east and the Alpujerras sitting on its southern slopes.

Good luck with your stay over here.

AB

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 pm

If you already have the Granada house rented, throughout the summer months too, I would suggest you think about just taking "vacations" for a week or so in different places during the school summer holiday time which I believe runs from last week in June to at least first week in September. Wait till you have got established before you plan your trips elsewhere. I presume you will have a car available ... and internal flights, say to Barcelona, or to the North Coast, are quite cheap (Vueling?). You may even like Granada in the summer and if the offspring have already made friends by then, you may find they want to stay at home rather than move to another place for a couple of months.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 am

BENIDORM wrote:And there ends today's tour of our lovely village...please now form an orderly queue for the toilets and the bar is on the left... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon the Guide...
Go on Benidorm, 'Give us a clue' Your village - I thought it may be Huetor Tajar, but too many inhabitants, then I thought it must be Salar.

terry

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Sun May 07, 2023 12:43 am

Many thanks to all who gave us precious feedback!

We ended up driving through most of the places people told us about that summer, then going to Granada. We spent 6 months there, and loved the place so much bought a house there :-)

We are now renovating it, and plan on living 1/2 our time there every year.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Did you buy in the city?

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Sun May 07, 2023 8:02 pm

In the Albaicin, a 1600s house that needs heavy renovation, although none of it structural

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 07, 2023 8:25 pm

Wow, good luck. Sounds a great project.

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Sun May 07, 2023 8:47 pm

Thank you! I am a tiny bit anxious about being successful :-)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 07, 2023 9:40 pm

Wish you luck with your renovations, i can understand that you will feel anxious but i'm sure you will get there in the end.You picked a lovely area in Granada city. :)

Ksdad
Tourist

Postby Ksdad » Sun May 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks so much, we are very excited!

If the project works out as we hope it will, I'll post a few pictures. I might also update this thread from time to time w progress if anyone is interested.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun May 07, 2023 11:31 pm

The Albaicin is a wonderful place, I look forward to reading about your progress with the renovation, good luck!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:57 am

Ksdad wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:30 pm Thanks so much, we are very excited!

If the project works out as we hope it will, I'll post a few pictures. I might also update this thread from time to time w progress if anyone is interested.
It would be great to follow your progress. :thumbup: