Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Paulinmalaga
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:45 pm

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks Paul. It is atrocious but we all have no choice but to comply. Wonder if this will ever be resolved. We have now decided to start taking holidays nearer to airports and public transport because we are so sickened by this rip-off

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am

Another horror story confirming that Goldcar try to steal money from their unfortunate customers. Charging for non existant issues is almost institutionalised at this company. I can imagine the training that staff receive!

Will they change now they are to be taken over by the slightly more respectable Europcar - or will their proven policy of ripping off all customers continue.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... l-cleaning

Flashman
Tourist

Postby Flashman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

just returned from another trip using RecordGo, all gone very smoothly. I really appreciate the same day email confirming the return of the full tank of petrol charge (if returned full) and the 'release' of the 1100euro(!) deposit for the possible accidental damage (I always take my own insurance out). otherwise all very easy and efficient

I've probably jinxed myself now for the next trip!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:35 pm

haha. Very good. But it does stick in the crow a bit that these companies take so much money on hold

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am

I'm not sure that I see the " hold" as a real problem. If the customer is not going to play ball and take (and pay for) full insurance cover then the rental firm have to guarantee that any damage is covered in full. They need to ensure that they have ready access to funds to cover the excess.
In my experience , the "hold" is just that. No money changes hands and there is no issue with exchange rates. I'd rather have that and my own, annual, carhire insurance than pay the daily rate for excess cover. I have only had to make a claim once and it was settled within 7 days!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

Agreed Gus. 1,000€ to 1,500€ "blocked" not charged to the card is reasonable.

But the Daily Wail reports some of the Malaga firms are actually charging it to the card, leaving the punter at exchange rate fluctuation risk. And some are charging nearer 4,000€, in an effort to breach the punter's credit limit and force a purchase.

And Marbesol told me on my last hire that if I refused their CDW insurance I would not have any breakdown cover on motorways. A quick request for their complaints book soon had the manager retract this lie. The most basic policies in Spain provide breakdown cover.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Exactly Ashtondave. Also there have been complaints from families who had not rented in a while being left without spending money. There are multiple cons going on with some of these firms

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Like always, the first piece of advice I can give is to "read the terms and conditions"!
The second bit of advice is "read them again".
It is extremely rare for the information not to be available, even if it is in "small" print.
I have been caught out on my forthcoming hire by failing to notice a "surcharge" for on-airport collection :-( but since the amount is going to be less than 5 € I am not cancelling!

If anything untoward happens with this hire, I'll report back.

Return to “Travel, Tourism & Destinations”