New repsol gas bottles with blue handles.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

New repsol gas bottles with blue handles.

Postby olive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:44 pm

I dare say they have been around for months but I got and saw my first one today. Handles are easier on the hands. It was only when I got home I realised that the bottle was 14.30 euros. I thought that gas had gone down recently?

Apart from easier to handle , any other differences?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: New repsol gas bottles with blue handles.

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 pm

IIRC Blue = Propane, Red = Butane

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Other way round in UK for Calor.
Chris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Had a bit of time to have a look at these new bottles.

First thing is it is Butano.

Enjoy the new bombona de Butano.
Comoda
Manejable
Compatible con tu instalacion
Intercambiable con la bombona tradicional.

The handles project slightly above the fitting that you put your regulator on. Can't see that being a problem with many installations.
It is lighter but I haven't a full old style bottle to compare it with. That lightness is a big plus for me. Handles are a lot nicer than the old curved metal
more info here
https://www.repsol.com/es_es/productos- ... na-butano/

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Got two more today. Joy to handle full compared to the old ones.

Price is definitely 14.30. Is that more than people are paying for the old style? If so maybe we are contributing to new container development!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes, it seems to be quite a bit more as the price of the standard orange bombonas de butano went down to €11.27 last month. Do you still have the choice of buying the standard ones or this new type?

http://www.repsol.es/SA/Herramientas/Li ... ecios.aspx

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:43 pm

I have only seen them at Repsol garages. I would imagine that is the only place they would get away with selling them at a 3 euro premium. So yes plaenty of old ones in circulation. Probably for years.

At some stage as they phase the old ones out they are going to have to drop the price! Can you imagine your delivery man bringing you a new one and you sending him back to change it for the old (heavy) cheaper one?

I thought about it today and these actually illustrate the huge difference between Britain and Spain in terms of customer care. In Britain the selected outlets would have all received a briefing from head office marketing dept with an explanation of why they are 3 euros each more. ( In reality in Britain they would have been the same price). Here in Spain the guy behind the counter says no one has told him anything ( I believe that) and he just Spanish shrugs and eye rolls when you ask.

How do the alloy bottles from the other supplier stack up price wise?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 am

olive wrote: I thought about it today and these actually illustrate the huge difference between Britain and Spain in terms of customer care. In Britain the selected outlets would have all received a briefing from head office marketing dept with an explanation of why they are 3 euros each more. ( In reality in Britain they would have been the same price). Here in Spain the guy behind the counter says no one has told him anything ( I believe that) and he just Spanish shrugs and eye rolls when you ask.
Possibly, but in Britain you'd be paying over 30 pounds for each replacement bottle, so on balance I prefer to pay the price here1 We get ours delivered from a Repsol distributor and the man in the shop is lovely, he remembers our names and address (in a big town where they must have hundreds if not thousands of customers) when we order replacements.

https://www.calor.co.uk/15kg-butane-gas-bottle.html

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:25 am

I paid 13.70€ for a Cepsa tank on 26 July. We buy them from the BP station at Torrox as, when we went to the Cepsa garage at the Nerja motorway exit, they said they only only sold the Repsol tanks!
We have one of each, the heavy Repsol one just being our backup one as it's so horribly heavy. It is awkward to get into the back of the car, so it would be nice if they are all changed over to the lighter ones in time. We buy the Repsol ones from the Repsol garage so we'll have to see if they have changed them when this one needs replacing (and charge the correct price).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Changed an old orange gas bottle yesterday at a rural shop. No choice , only the new blue/orange lighter ones. The owner apologised for the new price of one euro more and the fact that it contains half a kilo less of gas! If that is true it is a marketing coup!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 am

I think i read likely here before that gas price is reviewed by regulator every two months.
I bought when last over last month and i 5c change from 15€, it was red one.
This was delivered to door so likely a charge.

Wicksey i thought the gas bottles were not inter-changable?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm

All Spanish gas bottles are interchangeable. I generally use Cepsa as it's easier for me to get, both Propano and Butano, but I have one Repsol bottle as well. All fit all devices!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm

wollie wrote:
Wicksey i thought the gas bottles were not inter-changable?
You cannot exchange a Repsol for Cepsa if that's what you mean, the brand is not interchangeable but as ajtg said they are all the same otherwise. I have just acquired different ones over the years.

The biggest rip-off is the tiny Repsol ones. We were left one in the house when we moved in and we thought it was useful to use on the BBQ so kept it. It was 16€ the other week, much more than a large one, and the man in the shop just said that's the price and he doesn't know why it's so much more. Last year one was only 10€ so I'm not sure we'll bother again.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:49 pm

The small bombonas are more expensive as they are not subsidised by the government. The really big ones contain about 3 times as much as the standard one and are far more expensive for the equivalent amount of gas.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:02 pm

We had to get a new bottle last week and discovered that our Repsol suppliers now ONLY have the new lighter bottles, so we are stuck with the new price too.

AnninAlhaurin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AnninAlhaurin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Has anyone mentioned that the new bottle also holds slightly less gas - 12kg instead of 12.5 kg in the old one. Not a lot of difference, but when you're paying extra for the privelege.... I was delighted to get the new lighter bottles, easier for me to woman-handle and hastened to replace my old ones. But two weeks ago found I was paying over three euros per bottle more for the new one. Having gas water heater, gas hob and two gas fires. all needing their own bottle (+ spares) the increase mounts up so I hastily reverted to the old bottles! Incidentally information regarding the weight of gas on the new bottle is conspicuous by its absence, I had to search out the weight on the Repsol website.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm

What a marketing triumph. We had better supply a lighter bottle to compete with our competitor. We will charge more and put less gas in them.