Bee-eaters around La Herradura

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Dissing
Tourist

Bee-eaters around La Herradura

Postby Dissing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Everybody

My Fiance and I have invited her parents to La Herradura/Marina del este to celebrate their anniversary. They are both keen bird watchers (so are we) and bee-eaters are on top of their list of birds to see.
Is there anyone who can give some advice on where to go and look for bee-eaters in the area surrounding La Herradura? We have rented a car so we are able to reach areas outside La Herradura as well so any advice on other birding/nature sites in the area (Fx Sierra Nevada) are also very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance :wink:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bee-eaters around La Herradura

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 pm

The Montes de Malaga is very good for birds of prey.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:07 pm

also Alora mountains.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Costa P.M'd you
I So Bella tis you

Dissing
Tourist

Postby Dissing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you costakid, we will definately check them out. Are there any specific cities/sites you would recommend in these areas as a good starting point for birding?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm

We had well over 100 on our power line last week obviously getting ready to migrate. Very few left this week.

Dissing
Tourist

Postby Dissing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi ajtg1952
sounds amazing. We will arrive this saturday so hope there is a few left for us :)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Our swallows have already left and thinking about it - we havent heard the bee eaters heading for home in the evening as they do on their daily run. I strongly suspect they have headed south too. You will perhaps see Hoopoes (hope that is how you spell it) and birds of prey are active ...

Dissing
Tourist

Postby Dissing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi Gasman.
A+ on the spelling. Hoopoes would also be a treat. my girlfriend and I have seen them once but her parents haven't so we hope we see them as well. We will spend 2 days around Sevilla and saw you were from the huelva province is this a good area for Hoopoes?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Hmmm - Sevilla is probably too big-city to see any, possibly if you go into Doñana you may do better for birds in general and migrators in particular. Hoopoes seem to be a bit shy, until you see one trotting across the dirt road in front of you! They seem to like quiet areas, fields, open woodlands.

Good luck - and perhaps one of the regulars will come on an advise you, if you think you could do a trip into the Doñana reserve??

Dissing
Tourist

Postby Dissing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Gasman.
we may have time for a quick visit to doñana. is it possible to drive there by ourself or does it require a guide?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

I think Rafiki member of this forum is the expert on Doñana - As I understand it, it is NOT possible to drive around within the reserve in private cars to preserve the nature of the reserve. You can get to the edges, and there are certain public areas, round the information centres which are certainly worth a visit and allow some access to migratory observation areas. Do some google searches and see what info you can glean.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:27 pm

The bee-eaters have mostly gone by the end of September. There may still be a few stragglers, but they'll be high flying, so you may hear them and find it hard to spot them.