Microsoft Outlook Issues

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Microsoft Outlook Issues

Postby Enrique » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Maybe of some interest to Outlook users..............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41306441
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Microsoft Outlook Issues

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come anywhere near me - I have enough computer issues to last me a lifetime ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am

Thats why we use an iMac and MacBook pro. When you’ve had mac you will never go back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:17 am

Why would having a Mac improve your ability to access a worldwide Email service which is out of action?

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 am

It is causing us quite a bit of grief. You dont realise just how much you rely on email.

Bizarrely the order of arrival has been distorted. Two sent around midday yesterday arrived at 8.50 this morning yet one sent later arrived earlier..

Not sure how having a mac would have avoided the problem? I do continue to be unimpressed by microsoft taking over hotmail , skype and " integrating" them for a better service.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

El Cid wrote:Why would having a Mac improve your ability to access a worldwide Email service which is out of action?

Sid
Hopefully you wouldn't be using a shoddy Microsoft product like Outlook (for mac) on your Mac, so wouldn't be in that position in the first place!
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

I don't think the issue is Outlook - the program - it's Outlook the mail server.
-
I use Gmail but millions still use Outlook Mail having been forced to move from Hotmail.

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 am

El Cid wrote:I don't think the issue is Outlook - the program - it's Outlook the mail server.
-
I use Gmail but millions still use Outlook Mail having been forced to move from Hotmail.

Sid
But Not a problem for the vast majority of Mac users, I use Gmail also but Outlook mail is used by millions but millions is a minority when compared to Gmail which is the most popular by a huge margin.
I So Bella tis you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm

El Cid wrote:Why would having a Mac improve your ability to access a worldwide Email service which is out of action?

Sid
Well I wouldnt be using a Microsoft email system in the first place.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

We have had our Hotmail account for a long time and as I pointed out earlier it was taken over by Microsoft and integrated poorly into Outlook. There is a lot of inertia to overcome to change email address and a lot of users to tell of that change. Perhaps if we had had a crystal ball we wouldn't have used hotmail all those years ago!
As for using Mac , fine if you have a lot of disposable income but for many ordinary folk "other" is the order of the day I am afraid.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm

As for using Mac , fine if you have a lot of disposable income but for many ordinary folk "other" is the order of the day I am afraid.[/quote]

The life span is about twice that of a normal windows PC so not that expensive. Obviously the upfront cost is more.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:16 pm

I would think most people back in the day started with a hotmail address or similar Some people then over the years maybe created new accounts with the likes of gmail. Some have obviously kept and still use hotmail. But saying spending god knows how much on a mac would solve the problem isnt very logical. Some may have bought a mac but still have a hotmail etc account.

Going by that logic save yourself loads and buy either a chromebook or android and only use gmail. But you will still have an outlook etc account!!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 pm

costakid wrote: The life span is about twice that of a normal windows PC .
And 99% less aggro :D
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:22 pm

But if you cant afford the intial outlay its of no use. I for one got rid of my windows machine 5 plus years ago. To much hassle with updates, virus concerns with microsoft and all the junk that seems to be on windows machines when all i wanted to was get on the internet and save photos and the odd document. So i got a chromebook which is perfect for what i need.personally i think people should look into those more. I see people constantly having issues with windows machines when all they want is something to get on the net with.make it as simple as possible as some of the older generation struggle with the compexities of computers. I know i did and im prob half the age of most on here.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
Even as a committed Apple fan, I wouldn't put it that high.

Have a read through this long thread!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/61 ... 0&tstart=0

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm

elusive wrote:. But saying spending god knows how much on a mac would solve the problem isnt very logical. Some may have bought a mac but still have a hotmail etc account.
I would seriously doubt that more than a token amount of people would be using hotmail/outlook on a Mac and those who do will only be doing so in a work related environment.
Investing in a Mac pays for itself many times over in every area, from design, build to user friendly use and above all saves you hours of waiting around for the PC to boot up, install updates, download updates, reinstall updates again and again
I So Bella tis you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

El Cid wrote:
Paulinmalaga wrote:
Even as a committed Apple fan, I wouldn't put it that high.

Have a read through this long thread!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/61 ... 0&tstart=0

Sid
Even Rolls Royce's occasionally breakdown and like Apple they fix the problem often at no cost even on 5 yr old models.
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I do agree i doubt people who have a mac use hotmail. But still its not a logical argument as we are talking about an email account server and not a computer system. They are both totally seperate and not connected interms of general accounts such as gmail etc.so its a total extream to change your comp and operating system when all you need to do is create a new email account.

While apple certainly has a great rep interms of longivity if people cant or arent prepared to spend such money because one they cant afford to or two dont believe spending such money when all they want is a device to access the net can be justifyed then however good the device is it doesnt really matter

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

elusive wrote:I do agree i doubt people who have a mac use hotmail. But still its not a logical argument as we are talking about an email account server and not a computer system.
If you read my posts I never suggested any one buy a Mac just to change email accounts, all I did was point out that as a Mac user you wouldn't be in the current position etc in response to another post
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:above all saves you hours of waiting around for the PC to boot up,

That might have been the case on older machines but nowadays Windows PCs boot up pretty quickly as well.

From sleep it's straight away and I've just done a restart on my 3 year old laptop twice and first time from shutting down to having the windows screen it was 15 seconds and the next 17 seconds. This is because it has a SSD hard drive for some operations such as storing and lauching apps and launching Windows and a normal HDD for storage.

To compare, the Mac took only 9 seconds to restart but In my opinion the times are so similar that they are negligible.

I do have some older laptops which take much lomger to boot especially when they haven't been used for a while.

I also have my main work one on windows 7 that also starts in seconds as soon as I touch the mouse
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.