Shock pension headline by the Guardian for ex-pats

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Shock pension headline by the Guardian for ex-pats

Postby fyfin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 am

I don't like sensational misleading headlines from either side of the Brexit argument but this one seems to be quoting reliable sources. It is being discussed on a local Facebook forum I am on, but no-one has any idea it seems.

I decided to phone Scottish Widows to get their view and they couldn't understand what I was trying to get at as they seemed to have no idea that there would be a problem which was my view despite the article.

My contention is that I have a contract with a UK company and it shouldn't matter where in the world I decide to live, that contract still has to be honoured.

I just wonder if any of the knowledgeable people on here had any thoughts on this latest possible scaremongering.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ter-brexit
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Shock pension headline by the Guardian for ex-pats

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am

No.it shouldnt matter ..its your money!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm

The way I read it is that it does not apply to existing pensions which are already being paid out.

It seems to potentially affect people who are still paying into a private pension or those who have not yet taken the pension.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 pm

It's the scaremongering that annoys me.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Pension? Whats one of them!!. Makes you wonder what the effects in future years on countries like spain will be when theres far fewer public sector swanning off at 50-60 to live in the sun and private sectors havnig to work until at least 70 unlike the last x amount of years. Money goes to money in the uk but it would be intresting to see if theres a direct effect

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:32 pm

I nearly joined the HM Customs in 1973 when vat was starting but instead went to an engineering firm. Worked my way up but pension was rubbish. Still in the latter years I did better and left at 60 but could have earned a lot more by staying but felt time is more important than money. Not a huge pension but adequate and I feel luckier than many.

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 pm

fyfin wrote:It's the scaremongering that annoys me.
Me too, but there again it is the Guardian!!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm

elusive wrote:Pension? Whats one of them!!. Makes you wonder what the effects in future years on countries like spain will be when theres far fewer public sector swanning off at 50-60 to live in the sun and private sectors havnig to work until at least 70 unlike the last x amount of years. Money goes to money in the uk but it would be intresting to see if theres a direct effect
I received my public sector pension at the age of 60 & after working for 20 years in the public sector I swanned off to live in the sun with a huge pension of £214 per month.
Please do not assume that all in the public sector workers receive gold plated pensions.
Money has certainly not gone to money!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 pm

20 years contributions is nothing, that's why you have a crap pension !! You have to contribute in order to reap the benefits, but I suppose you know that anyway !!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Actually 20 years on a final salary scheme could yield you 1/3rd of your final salary in some schemes i.e. 20/60, so could be substantial depending on your salary. But we mustn't assume that all public sector workers are well off.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Yeah, after after 40 years in public sector I swanned away with 700 a month. Millionaire me. Still in my council house and can't afford to buy a house in the sun