What can I drive?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
ashtondav
Resident

What can I drive?

Postby ashtondav » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Ordinary car driving licence in the uk. What's the maximum size vehicle I can drive in Spain? Thinking minibus size or larger but I'm not sure of the regs, for the sample is it number of passengers or length. Thanks for any help.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: What can I drive?

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 pm

As far as I understand you can drive whatever size of vehicle you are licensed for on your UK licence assuming that it is one of the new photo card licences, bearing the EU symbol, and not an very old paper licence.
If you are thinking of changing your UK licence for a Spanish licence then they just, normally, transfer the classes to your new licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 pm

With an ordinary driving licence it should be printed on the back, B car licence for all classes of cars, inc Automatics + a small trailer.
C1 whIch should also be printed on the back entitles you to drive a light commercial vehicle (small lorry) up to 7500 kgs.
If the class of licence is not printed on the back of your licence then you are not entitled to drive it.
I'm not sure about mopeds !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 pm

You can also drive a 125cc scooter on a car licence (assuming you have had the licence for 3 years or more) which you cannot do in the UK.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

UK rules, as Sid says (sort of!) - CBT is Compulsory Basic Training
Car driving test passed on or after 1 February 2001

After completing CBT you will be able to ride a moped or motorcycle with L plates – up to 125cc (11kW max).
If you want to remove the L plates or ride a more powerful machine you will need to take the relevant practical tests.
Before taking your full bike licence tests, you will need to take a motorcycle theory and hazard perception test.

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

You can ride a moped (max 50cc) without L plates.
If you want to ride a motorcycle over 50cc and up to 125cc you will need to take CBT.
Once you have a valid CBT certificate you can ride a 125cc with L plates.

If you want to remove the L plates or ride a more powerful machine you will need to take the relevant practical tests.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 am

B T W I live in Gran Can, My friend recently bought (from an import company) an electric (battery powered) scooter for which he needs: no registration, no licence, no insurance and no helmet, not sure if this is legal but he thinks it is !!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:10 pm

I am looking to get one. Do you by any chance have any contact details for the importer?

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Hola

19th February 2013 all European countries agreed to make all driving licenses the same. Therefore if you have a modern photo licence, it is exactly the same in all 28 countries - in theory. There are some differences between countries but basically if your licence says you can drive a particular class of vehicles - you can do so in any European country. One difference I believe is the age in Spain that you can drive a moped - still 14 if I'm right they never ratified increasing the age to 16

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:41 pm

You’re right, tbere are local differences such as the right to drive a 125cc bike on a car licence over 3 years old. You would not be able to do this if you took your Spanish bike to the UK and claimed the right. You would need to have the relevant motorcycle class on your licence.

Also in Spain UK provisional licences are not valid.

Basically if you don’t have the right class on your foreign licence you cannot rely on local rules that apply to your home licence.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 pm

:roll: And remember all this could be different after the idiocy of Brexit - if that happens.... :roll:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Once you have a valid CBT certificate you can ride a 125cc with L plates.
Is there no option to remove the L plates from the 125cc after a period of time if people decide not to go bigger?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Wollie, note that as I stated these are the UK rules, not Spain. If you want to stay with a 125 but without L plates it is simple - take (and pass!) the practical test. You do not have to get a bigger bike just because you may do so.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:I am looking to get one. Do you by any chance have any contact details for the importer?
I'm not sure who the actual supplier was but he ordered it online and it was produced in China, he's not around at the moment and I don't expect to see him until the new year but I know for sure that he scourced it from Alibaba.