Lets dig

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Lets dig

Postby Lyric » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 pm

We recently acquired new neighbours, about two months ago. They are just on their third visit. Friday and Saturday they had a team of three diggers having a dig at their hillside. Not my best photo but it starts at their wall. My initial thought is "C'mon Rain".
This is obviously severe terracing, would they need permission/advice from the Ayuntamiento for this.
Let's dig.jpg
Last edited by Lyric on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lets

Postby olive » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I don't know the answer but would have thought three would be moving serious amounts so some form of permission would be required.

What are they actually doing? Like you say first lot of rain ...but then loads of houses defy physics.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Lyric,
I would guess that it would depend on the intended usage of the terraces, and of course is it likely to affect neighbours who could possibly make a complaint..?
If they are not constructed properly then rain will affect them, however there are still 1000's of terraces still intact and in use from Arab occupation ,many 100's of years ago..

Regards,
Gordon

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:53 pm

The word is they want to plant Avocados. The house next door to the left has some serious walls supporting similar terracing. The new ones, to me, look too steep to be self supporting.
Nearer to the Pueblo a hillside was terraced without support and it washed down and blocked the road a couple of years ago. Now that it is planted with maybe 5,000 mangos it is probably more stable.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lets dig

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 am

They are always scraping around at the hills near to us and terracing to plant trees. The original Moorish terraces are supported by stone walls but these aren't, they are just loose soil. We haven't had any serious rain for a while but I do wonder what state all these soil terraces will be in if we do. Madness to keep planting so many thirsty trees when there are water shortages.