One for Beni- Loja Convent "open"

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

One for Beni- Loja Convent "open"

Postby olive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Others in the area too might be interested in a very one off opportunity to have a peek inside the church part of the ancient convent (16th C?)up the side road opposite the feria showground and former Monday market site.

There is some repair work going on and one of the main doors is open so you can be cheeky and have a look at the amazing inside. Lots of wooden icons, gilding?, metal grills, religious paintings on plaster. Upstairs balcony completely grilled off above and to the right of the entry. Some serious cracks in the structure. I think the grills would seperate the ordinary worshippers from the nuns in the days when the church was actually open. It is the first time in 15 years that I have ever seen the door open.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: One for Beni- Loja Convent "open"

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 am

Hola Oli,
Thank you for drawing my attention to the possibility of viewing the ancient convent in Loja...Much Appreciated !
I did notice some months ago that the big door was slightly ajar, but by the time I got there it closed, a withered white hand pulling it shut... :shock: ( I just added that to make it more interesting.)

From my previous investigations into this building I noticed that the building materials used appeared to be from another earlier building, most likely a Mosque and there was also some stone that looked Roman, so probably this site has been a place of worship for around 2,000 years..
Some of the paving slabs around the building are also very ancient and worn smooth by the tramping 1000's of feet belonging to the devout worshipers.
To enter into such a building is time -travelling at its best, and for most people you can't help but experience the eerie feelings bouncing from wall to wall...
Please keep us informed about other such findings... :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordonious

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am

Will do.

Indeed a one off opportunity. :thumbup:

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 am

More precisely - Convento de Santa Clara on Cuestas las Monjas(street) the Post Office is just on the left at the top. We used to park (free) on the this street when visiting the town.

Cheers Olive, we'll keep an eye out next time we are the town. Same here never actually seen the doors open.

terry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 am

That is the one! If you do a search on it quite a few images of the interior of the church part come up so it clearly is open from time to time. :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Olive,
We did try to 'sneak a peek' the other day but the workmen had 'Gone to Lunch', but we noticed 2 big skips outside, so probably some major work going on.?
We will watch with interest....
Regards,
Gordon

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Out with the camera/phone chaps?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 am

BENIDORM wrote:We did try to 'sneak a peek' the other day but the workmen had 'Gone to Lunch', but we noticed 2 big skips outside, so probably some major work going on.?
We will watch with interest....
Benidom - Anything worth salvaging from these skips outside the convent - as they say in our former county back in Blighty 'Where there's muck there's brass'

The reason I say this is because when we bought our ruinous Cortijo the previous residents (Spanish of course) took with them the TV Aerial, and the ancient water heater off the wall. They left us (unwanted of course) 4 wooden clothes chests, 7 huge olive pots, 3 ploughs, 2 yolks 2 metal paneers, many old wine storage bottles and many other smaller farming bits and pieces. :wtf:

So who knows what the builders may sling out :!:

terry the Skip Rat :lolno:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Terry...
First thing I did..that is peek into the skips :oops:
Much to the disgust of Mrs.B I can't help looking in skips.I think that it is probably some form of addiction....?
You did very nicely with the 'junk' your previous occupants left behind...at least 1000 euros worth, I would guess....probably more ?
Over the years in Spain I have 'saved' many items including many very ancient items and a few 'modern' useful items.
I've mentioned before about my recycling efforts and I would recommend everyone looks in skips, and don't worry what Spanish people might think, they really don't care.... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon ...Another skip rat ...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm

This morning we changed our regular routine and times of shopping etc. to visit the Convento hoping that the doors would be open....
And Yes they were...wide open, so we ventured inside to find an absolutely fantastic glimpse of the past.
It was deserted inside, no sign of any workmen , but plenty of signs of work in progress with scaffolding reaching the high ceilings and pallets full of bags of plaster and cement.
We spent a good 10 minutes looking at the countless paintings and frescos and every surface is painted with scenes and designs...totally fascinating.

The large grill separating the 'flock' from the nuns has been removed to allow movement of building materials, so I ventured further and deeper into the building leaving Mrs B in the main part, she said rather wisely that it looked too dangerous to venture further.
But my inquisitive nature got the better of me, so I continued to explore, trying to keep a low profile in case I was spotted by any workmen who would probably ask me to leave.
In the nuns part there are simple pews around the edges, but I suspect usually there would be more in the middle,and again a multitude of splendid paintings , most very ancient and worn.
I then went through another large open doorway into the large inner court yard and discovered a place of deep tranquility and serenity with trees in the middle and paths and seats.
Then I heard some hushed voices and a shiver passed down my spine,was this the ghostly voices of the spirits of the former inhabitants ?..:shock:
I melted quickly into the shadows and waited silently and hardly breathing, but then realised that the voices belonged to some workmen......

Of course I forgot to take my camera and had left my phone in the car , a long walk away...
The skips outside were full of rotting timbers, mainly roof beams etc. , No sign of portable antiquities which could have accompanied me home. :(

Thank you again Olive for bringing this magnificent place to my attention.
Regards,
Gordon the Visiting Phantom of the Convento...