Medication

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

Medication

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi all, does anyone have the answer to this question : I take medication for blood pressure and I also take statins, Does anyone know if I can get these medications in Gran Canaria if my prescription is in the UK, Is it possible to do this online or do I get my wife to pick them up from our local chemist and post them to me, tricky question I know but perhaps someone has the answer, thanks Al.

Gasman
Resident

Re: Medication

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Do you have access to the Centro Salud in your local area in Gran Canaria - dont know if you are within the spanish system ... if you are I would suggest that you take your UK prescription to show to a GP type doctor there and he/she will advise as to whether the same/equivalent drugs are available in Spain, and if he/she can issue a spanish prescription for them - this is the simplest solution ... and gets you established as a patient there in case of need..... (or do you have Private Health Insurance - ask for advice with them ....)
If you are not in the system, (first use Mr google to check the names of the equivalent meds in Spain) take a copy/scan of your UK prescription to a Farmacia and ask if they are available over the counter - you may be surprised what they can dish out without a prescription, and check the price to see if they are extortionate, or whether it is worth saving the postage....
If they are not available over the counter, then your only option seems to be to get them exported via the wife ... not the best idea to be sending medications in the post!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I really would hesitate to get them online - beware of chinese or indian non-licensed rubbish!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Most pharmacies will sell those sort of drugs over the counter, especially if you can show a UK prescription or just the old box.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Statins are very cheap to buy over the counter here. Can't comment on BP pills never had to take them.
Regards

Bob

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I take Acetensil 20mg - the generic is Enalapril. Whatever brand your UK meds are, if you get the generic name, there's certain to be an equivalent available in pharmacies in Spain. They will sell them over the counter without a prescription. My Acetensil cost €1,61 for 28 tabs, so chances are yours will be cheaper than the postage would be. Unless you get free prescriptions in the UK, it's probably worthwhile stocking up before you return. I've often wonder why people bothered doing ciggie runs - the profits would surely be greater if they filled their suitcases with blood pressure pills and flogged them instead down their local boozer back in the UK!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, all useful :-)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Update, got my stuff over the counter at my local pharmacy, no problems, thanks for all the advice :-)