Driving ban

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Becca
Tourist

Driving ban

Postby Becca » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Can anyone please give a definitive answer to whether a banned car driver can ride a 49cc moped? I thought that a 14 year old can ride a moped without a licence, so wondered if this applied to an adult that has been banned. Many thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Driving ban

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 pm

A 14 year old cannot drive a moped, it is now 15 and you need a licence. A car driver can drive a moped on his car license, but if he is banned, he no longer has a licence so, no, he cannot drive a moped. Anyway, how could he get insurance as a banned driver?

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Becca wrote:Hi Can anyone please give a definitive answer to whether a banned car driver can ride a 49cc moped? I thought that a 14 year old can ride a moped without a licence, so wondered if this applied to an adult that has been banned. Many thanks
A pretty dumb question, if you're banned from driving you're banned !!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Not if you buy a micro car sin carnet.
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Unfortunately this seems to be correct.
A neighbour of mine used to drive a normal car, never took his driving test and probably would have failed.
Bought a micro car sin carnet and drove it around until he died.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

Yes Gerryh very true, my brother in law has one tòo and has never had a driving licence...He loves it and now hes retired it gets him up and down the very steep village roads where he lives and he travels off a few miles to visit family..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 am

But surely you would have to declare that you are banned from the road for insurance purposes. I understand you do not need a licence but its a bit of a grey area. It could be classed as being banned and riding a push bike. The thing is you do not need insurance for a pedal bike.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 am

Someone I met recently has lived in Gran Can for a number of years and recently lost his licence he has imported an electric scooter from China which requires no, licence, helmet ot insurance ! He's still a danger to other people though (drink is his problem) I think the law needs to be tightened up in this area so that when banned you are banned form using any self controlled wheeled vehicle !!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Yes,it does sound like a bit of a grey area but those who are banned are just the minority while masses more are never caught and have more than the limit and drive..Ive heard how people talk when someone loses their licence yet the same people are equally as guilty...so its not just those who have lost their licences who are a danger to many people its also those who regulary break the driving laws but are not caught..