Residencia - sufficient funds

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia - sufficient funds

Postby DannyandJosie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi guys,

We are looking to apply for residencia, we are not of pensionable age and are not employed so need to show proof of sufficient funds. I cannot find consistent information about this - 6000 Euros per person, 800 Euros per person per month etc etc. I have also read that the money needs to be in your Spanish account for 3 months prior to application - can anyone clarify this ? Finally do you need to show the money in a Spanish account or can it be in a UK bank account ?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks.

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residencia - sufficient funds

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:20 pm

I suspect that you cannot find consistent information as each office, and probably each person who works there, interprets the rules in a different way.
If your profile said where in Spain you live someone who lives there might have been to your local office and can tell you how they interpret the rules.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Agree it depends on the area regardless of what the law actually says. For the actual figures i would visit citizens advice spain website or facebook page. Then have a look at the area you live in to see how they interpretate it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:21 pm

The law specifically states that there is no specific figure - it will be down to personal circumstance as the interpretation of the law by the person behind the desk.

People have had just the possession of an escritura accepted as proof of "financial resources". Under a recent change in the law, even a credit card with a decent unspent credit limit is acceptable.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:56 am

elusive wrote:Agree it depends on the area regardless of what the law actually says. For the actual figures i would visit citizens advice spain website or facebook page. Then have a look at the area you live in to see how they interpretate it

I would look at the website of the national police for the area where you live, and forget what a random Dutch woman's interpretation of the law is.

As for malaga TWO days ago, the manager said to me "all the information is on the website. I don't care if you have 1000 or 20000 in the bank, you need to show me the letter that says how much the monthly pension that will be received is going to be".

She wanted to see the letter from Newcastle that says "your pension will be XXX and it will be paid monthly" ... And of course a copy of it.. hahaha
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 am

spanish_lad wrote: I would look at the website of the national police for the area where you live, and forget what a random Dutch woman's interpretation of the law is.
Every area has one, the one here in my area isn't Dutch though :D But agree with you that a big problem is that some people interpret the law/requirements however vague they may be and embellish them for reasons only known to themselves, which then gets amplified and leads to complete confusion.
As Sid rightly says, it does seem to depend on the interpretation of whoever is behind the desk on any given day. But always go the the attitude of whatever documentation you have they'll invariably want to see something else!!
I So Bella tis you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am

So if your in your 50s with no immediate pension but with lets say £200K in the bank would you be accepted?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
spanish_lad wrote: I would look at the website of the national police for the area where you live, and forget what a random Dutch woman's interpretation of the law is.
Every area has one, the one here in my area isn't Dutch though :D But agree with you that a big problem is that some people interpret the law/requirements however vague they may be and embellish them for reasons only known to themselves, which then gets amplified and leads to complete confusion.
As Sid rightly says, it does seem to depend on the interpretation of whoever is behind the desk on any given day. But always go the the attitude of whatever documentation you have they'll invariably want to see something else!!
I think the poster is talking about the person who runs or and founded? The citizens advice bureau spain.

This what they say about funds
https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/r ... mentation/

Why do you think that spanish lad. Previous experience with CAB?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote: Every area has one, the one here in my area isn't Dutch though :D

I was replying to "elusive" .. but if we must go there... The first point is that not everyone has one. It's one website run by one person, Myra. She is everywhere. There is not one website per autonomous community of Spain.

The website "citizens advice spain" / "cab Spain" that we see referenced everywhere is the website of a Dutch woman. It started on Facebook a few years ago as a "group" and she built a website that "you can donate to if you want". It is her and a few people that she knows in various professions.

When I challenged / disagreed with her over a traffico / driving issue and proved her wrong using information from traffico's web page she banned me from the Facebook group and now puts a "disclaimer" on her website : please contact an official source, the information contained herein is only our opinion.

I'm very surprised that she is "allowed" to use the name "citizens advice" - this leads people to think that she is some sort of "official representative" of citizens advice in the UK, and this is just not so.

The same applies for N340 - the website run by a couple of guardia civil traffic officers - they have been proven to be wrong / out of date information more times than I can remember. They also use a disclaimer.

I was of the understanding that this website (andalucia.com) employ a rule of "official sources only". I've seen several links in the last few weeks that are from outside sources, that are non-official. Has that rule been changed ?

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Spanish Lad check your PM
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pm

spanish_lad wrote:

I was of the understanding that this website (andalucia.com) employ a rule of "official sources only". I've seen several links in the last few weeks that are from outside sources, that are non-official. Has that rule been changed ?
To my knowledge, this has never been the case. It would be difficult to define exactly what an “official” source is.

Obviously it would be better if all posters made sure that their posted information could be be backed up from Bona Fide sources. Sadly this tends not to happen and Internet forums are the source of some ridiculously inaccurate information. Personally I think this forum generally offers pretty accurate information and if someone posts something inaccurate it usually gets stamped on by the better informed members.

Where possible and where appropriate I try and post a link to a reliable source. In many threads opinions are very relevant, but in more factual threads opinions are not the right way to go - it is the (correct) facts that matter.

Overall I think this forum has achieved a really good balance between the two.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm

The OP current situation is not one hundred per cent clear. Should they already be living here, it might be better to just to go along and try to obtain residency. You would suppose that if their current situation were to be coming from the UK without wanting to work( This is not clear either because their intention might be to look for work when they get here)they must have enough monthly income to live on.

The one time I met someone who were denied residency was because they came without work but were given time to find some. I seem to remember they were given three months.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 pm

costakid wrote:So if your in your 50s with no immediate pension but with lets say £200K in the bank would you be accepted?
I doubt it costakid My (pitiful) interperetation is that they need proof of regular income, after all having received your notional Residencia, what's to stop you removing the dough immediately ?

I have stated on a number of occasions that I would never purchase property in Spain, having been in Gran Canaria now for some time
I am starting to have second thoughts and I may well do so in the future.

The original poster has stated that they are not eligible for state pensions at this stage, as a matter of interest I spoke with my advisor at Deutsche bank Las Palmas last week who told me that the best security one can have here for obtaining residencia, mortgages or loans is a state pension, just sayin !!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 pm

We were accepted with a lump sum rather than the hassle of showing pensions etc. Remember if you are under state pension age you will have to show proof of private healthcare aswell

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Other members on the forum have been accepted on production of an escritura of their home in Spain.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 pm

El Cid wrote:
To my knowledge, this has never been the case. It would be difficult to define exactly what an “official” source is

Sid
Apologies Sid, I am having a bad week, my head is fuzzy. (Signiture, happened Tues)

elusive wrote:....rather than the hassle of showing pensions etc.

Bringing a letter and a photocopy of it isn't really a hassle tho?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm

El Cid is right - proof we owned our own home, with no outstanding debts on it was all that was needed to convince our funcionaria at the police station we wouldn't be a drain on Spain. I had brought bank statements showing our monthly state pension going into our bank but that wasn't accepted as being good enough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm

spanish_lad wrote:
El Cid wrote:
To my knowledge, this has never been the case. It would be difficult to define exactly what an “official” source is

Sid
Apologies Sid, I am having a bad week, my head is fuzzy. (Signiture, happened Tues)

elusive wrote:....rather than the hassle of showing pensions etc.

Bringing a letter and a photocopy of it isn't really a hassle tho?

It was for three people. Two were of pension age one wasnt. And at the time there had been reports of people being turned away because they wanted pension docs translated and stamped etc. It was far easier just to use the lump sum as proof for all three as the money was coming across to spain anyway and was already in our spanish account at the time we applied for residencia