Opening UK bank account.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Shelfy
Tourist

Opening UK bank account.

Postby Shelfy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

Has anyone successfully opened an English bank account as Spenish resident? I have been looking into it but just want to know how easy or difficult it is.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Opening UK bank account.

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

From what ive read people have huge difficulty. But from what was posted ,either on here or citizens advice people have succeded by quoting european law as under that they cannot refuse you to open an accoubt as non uk resident.although it will only be a basic one
Last edited by elusive on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello Shelfy. It used to be "illegal" for someone not resident in the UK to open a new bank account in the UK. Existing holders of UK bank accounts could keep then on moving abroad but the trouble was with opening new accounts once you were living abroad. As far as I know this is no longer the case. Certainly Nationwide allow non-residents of the UK to open new accounts with them.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks for the links. Looks like its alot easier now.wonder why the change

Shelfy
Tourist

Postby Shelfy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Apparently the law changed 2016 but it seems to me they make it very difficult to do. Don't think I'll bother. Will have to rethink.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I don't think it's that difficult apart from the usual paperwork.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Shelfy wrote:Apparently the law changed 2016 but it seems to me they make it very difficult to do. Don't think I'll bother. Will have to rethink.
In my particular case it was very straightforward. I would think they take each application and treat them on merit. Oh and of course if it's worthwhile financially to them :D

Shelfy
Tourist

Postby Shelfy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks First Tango. Just watched .........in the sun. Lovely! But you probably have a UK address which is a totally different ball game.
Last edited by Shelfy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Was that the one with the Wedding Lady? Was just watching it by coincidence.
Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I So Bella tis you

Shelfy
Tourist

Postby Shelfy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Yes.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Nice to see a success story regarding starting up in Spain in a business, too often they feature the negative stories on these programmes.
I So Bella tis you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Depending on what you need the account for, there are still a couple of options in Gibraltar which may be useful. Lloyds offer Sterling & euro accounts, with the bonus of free transfers (to Spain or UK), but they don't have a branch as such (only an office where visitors are not encouraged!) You can operate the accounts online and by phone. And Leeds Building Society offer Sterling accounts, have a branch office you can visit, but as yet don't offer online banking - it has to be done via post or phone, which is a bit of a pain. Apparently they should be going online "soon".
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

But you probably have a UK address which is a totally different ball game.
but the whole point is that you do NOT need to have a UK address anymore.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 pm

As I understand it - Lloyds UK will accept your application for a current account in the UK while nonresident, but NO savings or investments accounts - they suggest you use the International side .... which then expects you to have several fortunes to pass to them, or they are not interested. Gibraltar is mentioned, but on my quick scan on the website I could glean very little information about it.
The new rules, I think, were brought in to conform to EU norms - if that is the case, what will happen post-Brexit?

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

By a European directive they have to let you have a basic UK bank account even if you are a Spanish resident with no UK address. I have checked with a few banks and some are aware of it and some aren't but if you mention the EU directive they usually put you through to someone else who accepts that you can have an account. I did this recently for a friend.

BUT, if you already have one UK bank account you cannot have another. The answer is don't be hasty in closing a UK bank account if you are leaving UK to live permanently in Spain (or another EU country). Most banks will let you keep your UK bank account and give them your new Spanish address. You may have a form to fill in re HMRC tax status but otherwise should be no problem.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 pm

fyfin wrote:BUT, if you already have one UK bank account you cannot have another. The answer is don't be hasty in closing a UK bank account if you are leaving UK to live permanently in Spain (or another EU country). Most banks will let you keep your UK bank account and give them your new Spanish address. You may have a form to fill in re HMRC tax status but otherwise should be no problem.
That is extremely sound advice.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:10 pm

I have a UK Barclays bank account.
They have recently updated their terms and conditions etc. including publishing "how to get a Barclays Bank Account for non UK-EU residents"
Here is the link https://www.barclays.co.uk/content/dam/ ... nt0916.pdf
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Interestingly they do not mention that you can only open this account if you do not hold another UK bank account.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm

If they do not mention it does that mean that it does not apply?