Do I have pension contributions in Spain to transfer?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Scot
Resident

Do I have pension contributions in Spain to transfer?

Postby Scot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I worked in Spain for several years, 2002 to 2006 and paid into the system (autonomo/self employed). Just looking at my pension contributions in the UK and wondered if my years in Spain would have included pension contributions? I may have a paper showing a payment from my bank for autonomo but don't seem to have any further info? I am in Malaga few days in December so wondered is there a way of finding out as, if so, perhaps can amalgamate with my UK pot? Can anyone help please? Thank you.

I just realised Gus answered a question for me years ago and I asked here in the UK but they said I need to enquire to Spain? One of my pensions here I am able to take some cash out now, aged 56, so was simply wondering about any contributions made in Spain?

Gasman
Resident

Re: Do I have pension contributions in Spain to transfer?

Postby Gasman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Although the stated minimum number of years worked in Spain to qualify for a spanish pension is 10 years, in actual fact as an EU citizen, if you have worked in other EU countries the years worked there count towards the requirement in Spain. You should apply for your pensions via the Social Security office of where you last worked, stating that you have various years in various EU countries, - they have a special form for it - and it should all be counted together. A complication may arise in that you can qualify for your pension at different ages in different EU countries, but it all eventually gets linked together.
You can apply online for a certificate of Vida Laborial from Spain - even as Autonomo, having paid into the system, they can quote you your time worked in Spain, as a starting point. Go to the INSS españa website. You will need your Social Security number from Spain.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Have a look here, I think this may be what you require: https://tinyurl.com/j3y48em
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

I wonder if this combined pension is something even on the Brexit radar.? I dare say in time we will find out!

What happens if you are a woman nearing retirement age caught in the escalating age trap. E.g. was 60 but now 67. I suspect it unlikely that the retirement age here in Spain or anywhere else you worked in Europe will track exactly the UK changes. Do you get a small Spanish pension for two years at 65 and then a recalculated combined UK /Spain state pension at 67.? Rhetorical but real question. I suspect the answer is you will get a tailored answer at the time as so few in the net.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm one of those women caught in the trap, but I hadn't realised they'd moved the goalposts yet again :-( - and so another year to survive...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 am

My 'goalpost' moved, at very short notice from April 2017 to May 2018 which was the second move. I was also told this new date may move again. I have 35 years of contributions in my 'pot' so what is their problem? Trying to do any sensible retirement planning is pointless as the government simply does what it likes, when it likes.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:47 pm

If you have different retirement ages in different countries, then you apply, still through the last country worked in, for the country you are first eligible in - eg last worked in Spain, apply through INSS via your local office (by post if you are not currently in Spain), using the online form (pdf download). In the comments section point out that you are applying for your pension, eg from France, and understand that you are not eligible yet for UK/Spain/Romanian etc. Then as each relevant age is due you go through the whole procedure for the next one!
In our case, France was first, then UK for her-indoors at 62, then Spain as 65 is finally reached - until the goalposts are shifted again.
Note that the UK Pensions Service office is very helpful if you want to phone, or you can write quoting your UK tax number asking for a quote of your possible pension amount, and more importantly the date you are eligible in your circumstances to receive it.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you all very much for your responses. Much appreciated. Also nice to see all the familiar names still using this forum and enjoying life in Spain!