Registration of S1 form

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Registration of S1 form

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 pm

I was originally entered on the Spanish NHS system as a dependent (I think they classify you as a "Beneficiario") some time ago when my wife started to get her UK state pension before I did.

I got my own S1 form some time ago when I reached pension age. I did nothing about it at the time due to concerns that the INSS system would get totally confused if I submitted a new S1 after some years. I also have read about all sorts of problems on this forum and others about this scenario.

With Brexit looming, I decided to bite the bullet and get entered personally into the INSS system.

I requested a new S1 form from the DWP in Newcastle (the old one was actually an E111) and they could not have been more helpful. At the same time I got a new Padron certificate from the town hall.

I went online to make an appointment which was very easy and in due course (about 10 days) turned up at the new (huge) INSS office in Motril (loads of parking nearby). I received an email and text message the day before to remind me that I had an appointment the next day. On arrival, I keyed my NIE into the touch screen display at the entrance and was issued with an appointment reference. After a few minutes waiting, my reference came up on the big display in the waiting area showing the table number that I should go to.

The guy at the desk was really efficient and helpful. He checked all the documents and my existing health card and printed a reference number on the two S1 copies and did the same for my photocopy. He explained that I would get a letter shortly giving me the authorisation to get a new card from our local Ambulatorio. Total time taken about 5 minutes.

The most amusing thing was when he was stapling my copies together and ran out of staples. For anyone who has watched the video on YouTube you will understand that I got some satisfaction by reminding my wife that we should have brought our own stapler!

About 2 weeks later the letter arrived from INSS telling us to present the authorisation at the Ambalatorio. We went there and submitted the form and my existing health card. The person behind the desk ran a few checks and said OK - it's all already inn the system and you are now classified as a Titular rather that a Beneficiario. No change to the card or number and all existing records, prescriptions and appointments are still valid.

Overall a very satisfactory experience. It does seem that the various government departments in Spain have at last their act together.

I would suggest that anyone who is entitled to health care on the Spanish NHS as a Beneficiario gets updated as soon as possible - who knows what would happen if your "Sponsor" dies and you were cut out of the system - assuming of course that is exists after Brexit!

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Registration of S1 form

Postby Free at Last » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank you for posting a description of the process. I shall have to do this myself eventually, but can't for some time as I still have almost 5 years to wait until I become a state pensioner in my own right. I am just hoping that all the noises made so far about things continuing as they are for people who are already resident in other EU countries will extend to those whose healthcare is currently paid for as the dependent of a UK state pensioner, and that we will not be treated as new claimants and denied S1s in our own right when the time comes.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:46 pm

El Cid wrote:It does seem that the various government departments in Spain have at last their act together.
And you can deduce that from one satisfactory experience? :shock:
Your optimism is heartwarming, but don't throw away your stapler just yet! :D
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Good posting.

No one likes to think of their partner dying but if you are a beneficiario reaching state pension age soon it is good advice.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Sounds similar to my experience.
When we moved to Spain we were both under pensionable age but my was still on incapacity benefit from the UK.
This meant she was regarded as a pensioner here in Spain and was entered into the Spanish health system.
I was also entered as her "dependant"
When I reached pensionable age I went through the process of getting myself into the Spanish health system in my own right, the variuos staff were very helpful.
The process was easy as Sid has found out.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Miro wrote: And you can deduce that from one satisfactory experience? :shock:
Your optimism is heartwarming, but don't throw away your stapler just yet! :D
No, not from one experience. In the last 17 years of living in Spain, I had exactly the same experience with the tax office and the Policía Nacional with regard to residency on a number of occasions. Even trafico have been easy to deal with and in the past have texted me when I have a ticket! I have had similar experiences with many other aspects of living with the inevitable bureaucracy in Spain. I have no complaints as we have just adjusted to the situation and have coped with it with no major problems, bearing in mind that we started from scratch and bought a Campo plot and built on it successfully (which as huge potential for disaster).

I appreciate that you have had many problems in Spain resulting, to some extent with your return to the UK. However, that is not my experience and possibly not of other members.

I suggest that it is time that you accept that you now live in the UK and leave it at that.

Your negative (but probably true based on your experiences) comments are not terribly helpful to those members wishing to make a success of their life in Spain. OK, that’s only my opinion, maybe others would like to comment.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 am

El Cid wrote:I suggest that it is time that you accept that you now live in the UK and leave it at that.
Sounds a bit like I've just been shunned for not living in Andalucia :cry:

Contrary to what you may think, in 20 years of living in Spain I have had plenty of positive experiences - believe me, if it had been all bad, I would not have stayed that long. You know I respect your opinions, but it was you who said that "the various government departments in Spain have at last got their act together", clearly implying that you thought that until now they had not, and you also joked about the infamous stapler scene on YouTube, which simply wouldn't make any sense if you didn't see that there's some truth in that video. My post was merely intended as a witty retort to yours.

I'm sorry if you think my posts aren't helpful. Personally, I believe that everybody's experiences, positive or negative, are worth hearing about - but that's just my opinion....

Good night.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 am

Sid,
Thank you for the clear and concise report with regard to handling officialdom etc., very similar to my own experiences over the past almost 30 years in Spain, and certainly procedures have improved , and really similar to UK.
However having also worked in Spain I have to say that it was not always so easy dealing with the authorities with regard to operating a business and I suspect that this is still the case, but I also experienced many similar problems in the UK.
I still believe that the best way of dealing with any official matter, is to be well prepared and be pleasant and respectful to the person 'dealing with you', Mutual Respect goes a long way to integrating and ensuring a' smooth passage'.

With regard to Miro's comments, well maybe his first comment was a tad sarcastic, but with a hint of humour, and he does have a valid point, and do I also note a slight homesickness for Spain ?
As for not being helpful to people still living in Spain,well I have to disagree, I believe that all points of view, experiences and observations are helpful, it's very easy to become 'smug' about a lifestyle, but things can change overnight and it is better to be aware of all possibilities.
I do understand that sometimes 'returnees' may have had some bitter experiences whilst living in Spain, not always the fault of the country, there are many other factors that could have contributed to causing a person to having to return to their Mother country.

I personally would like to encourage all comments from past, present and part-timers who wish to write about their experiences of Spain, very helpful to newcomers and long time residents... :thumbup:

I would at this point also like to congratulate Sid for the excellent work he does with advice and help with keeping the forum 'clean', I may not always agree with all of his thoughts, but I do support most of them..as long as he lets me 'say my piece occasionally '.... :wink:

Have a Good Weekend Everyone,
Regards,
Gordon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Don't forget that if you have been tax resident since before April 2012 you can get onto the NHS here even if you are not a pensioner and do not work here. I'm glad we did it and are now covered, particularly with Brexit looming. Our experience of the process here with the INSS and local health centre was straightforward too, much the same as Sid's.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:56 pm

I think it's good to hear about other peoples' experiences, whether they be good or bad. I had probably heard more negative accounts than positive ones of the process of obtaining residencia, or registering as a foreigner living in Spain, at the police station. All the problems I'd read about helped in as much as I took a whole load of papers, documents, photocopies and a stapler (OK, I didn't take a stapler ;) ) But I got myself in a right tizzy, I was so worried and convinced I would be joining the gloom merchants with a sorry tale of my own to impart. But it all went swimmingly, the official at the police station had an interpreter (thank goodness) - both women were wonderful and the process went ahead with only one small glitch which they solved for me. I was so happy, kept high fiving my husband when we left lol.

Registering the S1 forms, which we did on the same day was straightforward, although the cards took a LOT longer to arrive than the month that was promised. Eventually, we went to the local Health Centre to make enquiries about them and I'm convinced the nice receptionist got on the case, as whatever she did was effective and the cards arrived soon after that visit. Signing on the padron was simple, at our local Town Hall.

For just about everything else we've needed to do, we've used a gestor. Trekking backwards and forwards to Malaga to change our driving licenses didn't appeal, changing from paying non-resident tax to submitting our first declaration as residents, changing the name on the Endesa electricity account, which had been in the previous owners name for about 10 years...... all these things we used a gestor for. I do think we could have done everything ourselves, gone to the relevant offices but for certain things, we chose not to.

I agree with Gordon, being polite, respectful and friendly gets you a long way, unless you're unlucky enough to encounter someone who doesn't like foreigners. That has happened, twice, at the local hospital, which is the worst place to have to deal with that sort of attitude, as you are usually in a vulnerable state..... It's very, very rare though, thank goodness.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Not sure if i would be granted the Health cover under the 2012 ruling . The wife and I have been resident 15 years and i retired at 65 two years ago and copies of the S1 form came with my pension stuff however i have not done anything about it due to the fact i have for most of our time here been covered under my wife's Seguro as she has been working , the only down side to that is i pay 40% of prescription charges as the charges are based on the main seguro holders details and she is only 59 , when she reaches Spains pension age we would both only pay 10% so not really huge a problem.

As the wife's employment status is now uncertain and she will only have a short time registered as unemployed then the very small payment ends so i dont know either what happens then , if she can maintain as a registered unemployed with no benefit payments then unti Brexit and maintain our State health cover it will be sufficient but thats something we have to find out about . Wont bother claiming any other payment , i believe its called Non Contributory Benefit , there is just the two of us and we dont have mortgage or rent and although less that 100k we still have a reasonable amount in the Banks here and kids have all finished Uni so i considered registering under the 2012 ruling but not sure if they would refuse me because i am already covered under the wife's AND as a UK pensioner . Dont really want to bother with the S1 as it could all change once things with Brexit get sorted .

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:55 pm

IMHO AkoAko, I think you would be wise to take your S1 to your local INSS social security office and ask them. You dont need to worry about the 2012 ruling as you have your S1 already. You are 65, so of pensionable age in Spain, you have your S1 which is all you need to get signed on as a pensioner within the EU - so ask the question. As Irene D suggests take all the paperwork you can think of for yourself and your wife, plus copy of marriage cert!!!! and ask them how you stand. It really is not complicated and you and your wife can only benefit by making your status more secure as a pensioner in Spain. Dont worry about Brexit or count your chickens up til then because nobody knows what will happen ... but get your foot in the door now while you can. Also, if need be, if your wife runs out of benefits etc, she can become YOUR dependant so you both continue full coverage with the health service in Spain.
Presumably after 15 years in Spain you have already changed your five-year initial green Residencia card for a permanent right of stay card too?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Gasman wrote: . but get your foot in the door now while you can.

Presumably after 15 years in Spain you have already changed your five-year initial green Residencia card for a permanent right of stay card too?
Two very good points. Get in now before Brexit rather than find you no longer have the option and that your S1 is no longer accepted. That's precisely why I recently did it.

As for permanent residency, there is no need to apply for a new certificate as you get the right of permanent residency by default after 5 years, but personally I feel more comfortable having it stated in an official document.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:39 pm

You should registar your S1 as your wife will then be covered as your dependent. So no worry inregards to her cover via working or on the dole. The Mind boggles why those with the chance of free healthcare dont take it. Even more so with brexit coming up

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Can only concur with the above three posters.
If you have a S1 form then get registered with the Spanish health system now.
No point of waiting till after Brexit as the S1 form might not be accepted, who knows.
Those of us who have registered might, but hopefully not, be kicked out of the system, again who knows.
But if you can get into the system do it now and enjoy the benefits whilst you can.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes we both initially had the plastic resident card then when it came to be renewed 5 years later we both acquired the green A4 size document that shows when we first registered and has no expiry date so i think were classed as permanent now .

I feel using the S1 is going to be less secure than taking the 2012 rule as that comes under Spanish law and not dependent on the UK agreeing to continue funding health care for Pensioners so i just need to find out if i will be eligible of if having cover through my wife or being a UK pensioner their going to tell me to use that method as at present the Spanish health system gets paid for each pensioner here but under the 2012 rule they get nothing .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Maybe wait until your wifes benefits stop then registar under the 2012 rule to avoid any issue of "you are already registared"

Although to get the pre 2012 you need a letter from newcastle saying you are without healthcare. Newcastle might say no to giving you that letter as you have or are entilted to the S1??

KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KarenD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm

We had an appointment at our local social security office this morning to sort out our application for health care. We have lived in Spain for 11 years but we've never had to apply before now as we both worked in Gibraltar and were covered under its health care. We are applying based on the 2012 residencia rule. They also told us we would need to produce a letter from the UK confirming we are not entitled to health care in the UK. How do we go about asking for this, by phone or email? Does it take long for them to send the letter?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Whenever I or my wife have phoned Newcastle we have found them very helpful and knowledgeable. Also we have got through very quickly without being held in a queue.
If we had phoned the wrong department they put us through to the correct department.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Seems to me that if i contacted Newcastle they would just send me another S1 saying im a pensioner and i already have one which means i would be on the Spanish system through it and not through the 2012 rule . I didnt realize that you had to prove you were not entitled to health care from the UK on top of having to show you were resident on the qualifying date in 2012 . That would mean that once you reached retirement age and entitled to an S1 you lost the chance to take advantage of the Spanish 2012 rule . I remember reading there is a savings limit of 100k and were below that .