Cataract operation

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cataract operation

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am

I have seen Dr Martos in Torre del Mar and he has some of the most up to date diagnostic equipment in the area, apparently.

I don't know how much he charges for a cataract op but his info is here
https://www.clinicaocularmarcos.es/en/director.html

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Both myself and my wife have had procedures in Clinica Rincon. One of the worst experiences of my life. Room I wouldn't keep a dog in. Op in July, room had no windows , no a/c, on a plastic sheet it was not pleasant, invisible staff through the night. 'Operating theatre' looked like a spare room that they had put a table and bright lights in.
Had a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy at Clinica Rincon earlier today.
In there for about 2 hours.
Room had windows overlooking the sea, air con, private bathroom. Staff all very pleasant and friendly.
Absolutely no complaints.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Which location?

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:00 pm

The Rincon de la Victoria one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Sorry to hear you had to have those, Gerry. Not pleasant at all. I had a colonoscopy a couple of years back, on the Spanish health system, but carried out at the Pascual private hospital in Málaga. I have a suspicion that may be where I picked up MRSA: that's the only time I've been hospitalized, so to speak, other than a tetanus jab at the local A&E in Torremolinos.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Miri, OH had MRSA this year and had never been near a hospital. He was seriously ill before diagnosis, complained of acute pain in chest so they were testing heart and lungs, also tropical diseases as we were in Caribbean Dec and Africa Jan. His blood tests showed a high white cell count and ordinary antibiotics did not reduce it. Turned out he had a massive MRSA abcess on spine. He spent 2 weeks in hospital and afterwards daily visits from nurse for intravenous super strength antibiotics which lasted 8 weeks. Apparently it can be dormant for years. Even a dental infection can cause it. He lost nearly two stone in weight.

It does make you think when people cheerfully say they can buy antibiotics over the counter. Also the cost of his antibiotics were almost £200 PW. Something to think about if not covered for costs under insurance.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm

How awful, you all must have been worried sick...£200 pw is certainly something to think about! I thought i paid enough in Spain for my antibiotics and one other medicine, the bill came to 90 euros.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 am

Yes it was a traumatic time. When he had MRI scan he was taken to oncology, showed us the mass on his spine and said they thought it was a secondary cancer and needed to look for primary. Had a full CT scan an hour later and was told to go home whilst they studied it. Phone call at 7pm consultant said they had just had a conference and no primary, now going with theory of non malignant mass. He was admitted next morning for biopsy. For weeks he was having to change his top 3 times a night, they were wringing wet. He was also on opiates for a couple of months,which made him away with the fairies.

I am now an expert on MRSA. Ha ha. The buggers are able to find a place in your body to hide from detection, his were behind two vertebrae. He is fine now, cane third in a golf comp last week and he didn't play for 6 months. MRSA can live on the surface of your skin and be harmless until it enters the body.

Anyway back to cataracts......

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Glad to hear he's fine now - how awful though. I must say, my MRSA was only really discovered by chance and hasn't really caused me any major problems. It may or may not have been the reason I had a few bites become infected, or why I developed pustules on my chin & face, and may or may not have contributed to the otherwise unexplained pericarditis episode I had a couple of months back - either way, my GP doesn't seem particularly bothered about it, & the NHS "protocol" is usually to do nothing, unless you're due to go into hospital for an op, in which case they suggest "barrier nursing", whatever that is. Only because I pushed it was I prescribed some body wash and nasal cream for it - which hasn't shifted it. They're still not concerned, saying almost everybody carries MRSA so not to worry about it :wtf: I am now on a three month course of lymecycline - which I'm getting for nowt on the NHS because I have a medical exemption due to my hypothyroidism.
But I feel fine!
Now....back to cataracts!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Going back to cataracts.
I filled in the online form from https://www.clinicahidalgo.es/ requesting details etc. over a week ago but still no reply. :thumbdown:
Decided to have the op at Clinica Rincon even if I am being ripped off by paying €2000.
At least Clinica Rincon, in Rincon de la Victoria, is near me, easy parking nearby, we are familiar with the way they work and the layout of the buildings.
Always been treated there by pleasant and friendly staff.
Had the initial consultation, the pre op tests and the operation scheduled for week Wednesday.
My wife, who is having the operation, was impressed by the thoroughness of the initial examination and the way the doctor answered all of our questions.
So as long as she is happy I am willing to pay the €2000, solves the problem of what to buy her for her upcoming Birthday and Christmas presents.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Given the circumstances, I think you are doing the right thing.

I wish your wife a successful op. I haven't encountered anyone who hasn't had glowing things to say about how marvellous it is to see properly again.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am

Its a brilliant Birthday and Chistmas present Gerry, she will be more than happy to have clearer vision and it beats all materialistic pressys that can be done without.Hope it goes well. :)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

My dad had an op on both eyes, one a few weeks after the first, and he was charged 3000 total. This was at a private clinic in malaga, behind el corte inglés, parking was easy, but another 10 euros each appointment - and he had to see them about 10 times.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Marianna

Postby Marianna » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Please tell me who knows a good ophthalmologist in the area of Malaga, Torremolinos, Rinconde de la Victoria, Torre del Mar for my mother. How much does the operation cost now without insurance. There is no time to wait. Thank you very much.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:04 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm Did you have a consultancy with an alternative clinic/ophthalmologist? From my prostate cancer experience Rincon see you as an open wallet from which they extract as much money as possible in as short an amount of time as possible. Also distinctly unimpressed with their facilities. Having learned from the experience they are near the bottom of my list for anything medical.
e

Nothing to do with Cataracts but to echo your post, I am having an operation next Friday at Hospital San Roque, Maspalomas, I have been diagnosed with bladder cancer and a severely enlarged prostate, as I am not yet in the Spanish health system I have to pay from my own pocket, like you they view me as a cash dispenser, so far I have paid over 1000.00 euros for ultra sound scans, blood tests, cystoscopy etc, the operation will cost me a further 9000.00. What about the poor buggers who don't have that kind of money to spare in order to save their lives !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 pm

BENIDORM wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm Gerry,
I was surprised to note that your wife has had a long wait for appointments and possible operation with the health service.

I don't have any personal experience, however a British friend told me that they had very quick service with appointments and operation, (4 months -start to finish ).
And I've had a chat with a Spanish friend who has just had the op. and had a similar time wait and is already booked in for the op for the other eye.
Perhaps you could investigate the possibility of changing Doctor ??
Regards,
Gordon.

A friend of mine waited 16 months for a knee op !

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 am

Marianna wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm Please tell me who knows a good ophthalmologist in the area of Malaga, Torremolinos, Rinconde de la Victoria, Torre del Mar for my mother. How much does the operation cost now without insurance. There is no time to wait. Thank you very much.
Clinica Hidalgo in Velez Malaga. I have used them twice, they carry out operations at their clinic in Torremolinas, but have other clinics also.

https://www.clinicahidalgo.es/
Hardworking resident !!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:56 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm My dad had an op on both eyes, one a few weeks after the first, and he was charged 3000 total. This was at a private clinic in malaga, behind el corte inglés, parking was easy, but another 10 euros each appointment - and he had to see them about 10 times.
I remembered it was 'clinica bavaria' - like i said it was probably 10 visits, so another 100€, then the eye drops on top - i think that was €50 x 2 as well, then driving to malaga 10 times can be another €50 of fuel, and 10 whole days of time. Comes out at €3500 easily.

That was a few years ago and the cataracts have grown back, he has trouble seeing things, reads with glasses again, cant read books or magazines without a magnifying glass and gets headaches all the time.

They had him sign a 'any problems tough luck, even if you go blind or die'. They wouldnt operate until he signed it.

I hope it goes better for the people that are having the operation.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Cataracts cannot grow back as they are on the lens that was removed and replaced by a new one. However, many people suffer PCO after the operation which is easily fixed.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/Ophthalm ... cation.pdf

I have a couple of friends who had this problem.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Thats an interesting read Sid, thankyou - i´ll print it off for him to have a look at, and see if he wants ne to contact them and do it.

James.