Cruise Travel Agents

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cruise Travel Agents

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm

It is our 50th Wedding Anniversary in February and we were thinking of going on a cruise to celebrate but we don't know who offers these in Malaga which presumably start from Malaga Port or possibly it is a port of pick up around the cruise programme. Presumably there are cruise agents in this area who can provide us with details of cruises they have on offer.

Can anyone give us some companies to try or can recommend some nice cruises from here ? We have done the Med once before but wouldn't discount it or anywhere warmish in February LOL :)

TIA

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Cruise Travel Agents

Postby maureenscot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Don't know names of Spanish cruise companies. But UK companies like Fred Olsen and others do, fly, stay and cruise to practically anywhere .
Also members of my family have flown to New York and also to Florida, got three days stay either side of the cruise. Caribean cruises are cheap from there. You may not want the carribean after the carnage of Irma, but you could explore alternatives. Let us know how you get on.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:46 pm

I have been doing a bit of research on line and it would appear our best bet would be to fly to Rome and spend a few days there and pick up a cruise ship from there. I have been to Rome before but never got to see everything and vowed to return. Whether we can do it that way and fly back from Rome after the cruise is anyone's guess :? What we really need though is some company to organise it all for us which is why I was looking for an agent.

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 pm

There are quite a few cruise lines that leave from Barcelona. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess to name a few. You could either fly, take the train or drive from Malaga. If you Google cruises from Barcelona it will bring up many UK agents who will happily book your cruise for you but do shop around as the prices and incentives for booking vary with each agent.

Cruises from Rome leave from Civitavecchia port which about one hour from Rome Airport.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for that info. I will be sure to shop around as the prices do seem to vary greatly and there appears to be some good discounts and special drinks packages too with some of them.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Pullmantur, a Spanish cruise line owned by RC, have changed one of their spring itineraries for 2018 and instead of sailing back to the carib for winter, the ship Horizon is cruising Dec /January/ Feb/Mar from Tenerife and prices include flights from Madrid but you have to get the train from Malaga to Madrid I think, or you can sort own flight. The cruise is all around the Canary Islands, so warm, with or without a trip down to Morroco - Agadir I think. Very cheap but not luxurious and there is also, a very cheap Xmas cruise, about 500€ or so. Not many ships cruise from Malaga at this time of year, The last Pullmantur cruises from Malaga normally finish some time in November. There is a website in English.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info, I did manage to find the Pullantur web site and there seems some good prices on there so will take a look. We are now thinking of putting the cruise off until it gets warmer, perhaps May or June so there will be more choice.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

I would urge caution with Pullmantour. Has had a dreadful reputation. Now been taken over by Royal Carribbean but still the same tired, old ships. Know some who went on it from Malaga, buffet food slop, bun fights to get near it, not enough seating. Constant loudspeakers giving info in 3 or more languages. Cheap for a reason. Lots of bad reviews online too.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Blimey katy !

Been on a cruise, (slow boat to China ! )?

anyroads

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 am

RC / Royal Carribbean took over Pullmantur back in 2006, Katy.
I have cruised with them 3 times from 2010 to last year and never witnessed any of the above bun fighting, lack of seats etc. Languages given were Spanish and English only.
Perhaps it was like that pre 2006 but things sometimes change. Yes, the ships are old, however, they have Sovereign of the Seas, an ex RC cruise ship, once the largest in the world and still very beautiful, both inside and out with her gleaming glass central elevators.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 am

We have cruised many times with Pullmantur and always have had a splendid cruise and always from Malaga. It is a Spanish boat and the main language, surprisingly, is Spanish and the majority of the passengers are Spanish. The only winging I've experienced is from English passengers moaning that they don't know what's going on. Yes, meal times can be busy at peak periods but there is always table service in the restaurants.
I would imagine Katy has never been on one of Pullmantur's ships but "someone" will have told her how bad it is. Well they offer great service at a great price. Fully recommend them!
Another we have used a few times from Malaga is Thompson. We were on Discovery 2 in September. Fabulous cruise.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 am

Well said Ajg1952 and Anis, there's nothing better than a true first hand account of ones personal experience.
I So Bella tis you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Different people have different expectations, no I haven't experienced it first hand, neither am I likely to, nor Thompson. There are hundreds of negative reviews on the web for Pullmantour. Mainly with the same complaints. Perhaps you just got a lucky week or two. I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck on a ship with the majority Spanish because of cultural differences like queuing, politeness and loudness. Nothing wrong with raising awareness when someone considering various options. The price with all inclusive are low though, but regular complaints about cabins and creaky old vibrating ships which frequently arrive late at Ports of call.

Two years ago we decided to cruise from Puerto Rico for a change. Love The place and stayed a week pre cruise. Ship was Princess Line. Passengers were around 65% P. Rican. Never experienced so much rudeness and loudness. Adult pool full of kids, couldn't get close to it. Playing stupid games, football crowds would be quieter. Throwing food overboard, smoking where they shouldn't. No problem with ship, felt sorry for the crew. As I said I love the Island and people but don't want to live. Next door to them. Many were in large groups which made it worse as they would linger in the corridors shouting in the early hours. Like a review of Pullman out of Malaga, where they had a kid with a banjo hanging around.
I prefer to hear the good and the bad when trying something new
Quite put me off cruising ha ha. Having three weeks in a hotel soon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:57 pm

I have sen a new cruise company advertise in one of the local mags, called thecruisemarket.com. They are based in Torre del Mar.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:32 pm

katy wrote:Different people have different expectations.
Welcome back katy.

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 pm

I was just trying to be helpful. 50 years is a real milestone, not many achieve it. Best to do a search with someone like cruise.co.uk and then book directly with the shipping line. The most interesting seem to leave from Barcelona.