Mirror phone to TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
casita-bonita
Resident

Mirror phone to TV

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Friend of mine is desperate to watch GoT latest series.I had her install ukmovnow onto her phone, which as you can imagine doesn't provide a very pleasurable viewing experience. So how to mirror the phone to her TV without buying a dongle of somesort?

The TV is a shiney new LG 28MT49S, of which I have no experience as my LG is a couple of years old now and has a different OS. Looking at the manual/help it has a feature called Smartshare which appears that it may do the necessary if an LG Smart share app is installed on the phone. The phone is a Samsung something or other.

Anyone had any experience of this, or any other way of mirroring the phone to a TV such that you can watch a stream?

Or indeed is it possible to side load ukmovnow app directly onto the TV and save the hassle of mirroring.

Need a simple solution as it's pretty much impossible for someone to be lesst tech savvy than my friend,so the use needs to be so simple a child of two could manage it.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mirror phone to TV

Postby firsttango » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:09 pm

If she's close by to you why not just download the episodes to a USB stick for her?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Wouldn't a Chrome cast do this?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:08 pm

firsttango wrote:If she's close by to you why not just download the episodes to a USB stick for her?
I used to do that, but then its, download me this, download me that and so on forever. Since streaming seems to work well lately I've pretty much given up downloading stuff. So I figured get her to install ukmovnow on her tablet, after I confirmed that she had an android tablet. Job done methinks, huh morefool me. Sent her the simple instructions to install ukmovnow. Little while later I had an email saying that she couldn't find the 'allow install from unknown sources' , but had found some other setting. Turns out that her android tablet is in fact an HP laptop running windows....

Plan B. OK, install it on your phone and if your TV is already set up you can mirror the phone to the TV. More fool me again. Now the latest mail informs me that she has bought a new LG TV (which someone else plugged infor her) can you set this mirroring up for me. Never done it before as I haven't had the need. But Im sure its doable without a miracast dongle..

She's the type who won't spend a penny getting something done when she can constantly hassle others to do it for free, but hey look at my shiney new 6500 euro Rolex......lost count of how many hours I spent sorting stuff for her and it is always bloody frustrating, eg my spotify ( free version, but how can i get rid of the adverts) isn't as loud as it used to be. Ok bring your laptop over and I'll have a look. She'd turned the volume down within spotify.......

And as soon as you sort something out for her you own that particular gadget, I for example own her kindle, ipod./iTunes, PC. Other stuff I've kept my head down and denied all knowledge. Seems this time I let my guard down

Rant over. :crazy:
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Wouldn't a Chrome cast do this?
For sure, but beside it costing her money I will end up owning it for the foreseeable future.
Regards

Bob

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Haha....understood!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Has the phone got Miracast on it? That will throw onto most smart tv's Samsung, LG, Sony etc, without any additional software or dongles works well enough.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 pm

northandsouth wrote:Has the phone got Miracast on it? That will throw onto most smart tv's Samsung, LG, Sony etc, without any additional software or dongles works well enough.
Therein lies a problem. Not a simple enough question to find out. She'll want to bring the phone over and I'll have to look through all thebapps to see if its there.

Presumably you'll still need to enable something on the TV the receive the miracast stream.The LG manual mentions sharescreen built in app, but doesn't give much detail, almost none really on how to get it working.

I don't have the right hardware here at home and I really don't want to spend hours at her place figuring it out from scratch. Too many other things on my plate at the moment.

Can you recommend a miracast app that has half a chance of working. There's dozens of them in the play store.
Regards

Bob

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi casita-bonita,
Rant accepted..........welcome to Free Support Inc........... :)

The spec LG 28MT49S says it has Miracast

Miracast is supported on Windows 8.1 < What OS on the HP laptop....... :?:

What you need to do is delay rushing round every 5 mins and wait until you build up the full picture and then formulate a cunning plan....... :D

Bounce the problems on A.com as the Guys/Girls will only be too happy to put some ideas forward.......... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi casita-bonita,
Rant accepted..........welcome to Free Support Inc........... :)

The spec LG 28MT49S says it has Miracast

Miracast is supported on Windows 8.1 < What OS on the HP laptop....... :?:
Hi enrique

I'm more than happy to help anybody out ( i generally llove a challange and enjoy sorting problems) until it becomes apparent the the *beep* is being extracted from me, and in this instance that realisation dawned quite some time ago.

I would prefer to stay away from windows as I don't have any reccomendation for a ukmovnow equivalent that gives you boxsets. I do all my audio/video stuff on android these days.

I want to end up writing a really simple howto which I can mail her. I know for sure that if I do go over and get it working it will be "while you're here can you look at this, and this and this and, and and...."
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Hmmnn an alternative approach possibly.. If I do download the episodes onto a stick shell watch them on her laptop.

So can anybody suggest a window app or website where she can watch GoT,
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:38 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Rant over. :crazy:
I feel your pain, have a similar situation myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Hola

Sometimes "Google is your friend" - in that someone else has had the same or similar problem and the tech guys have answered it

Davexf

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Found a website where one can watch GoT, sent the specific link https://xmovies8.es/movies/search?s=Game+of+thrones.

Works for me but i fully expect a question about it within the hour :crazy:
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:56 pm

15 minutes..... Can anyone lend me a long stout rope with which I can hang myself......... :roll:
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Phew, that's that sorted for the time being. :crazy:
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 pm

I use the casting app with my LG TV and my HP laptop and it works OK but as yet I have not manage to do it with my Samsung phone.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Which model phone Wicksey?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Wicksey wrote:I use the casting app with my LG TV and my HP laptop and it works OK but as yet I have not manage to do it with my Samsung phone.
Is this the casting functionality built into Windows 10?
Regards

Bob

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 am

Smart share is basically a means to link a device , laptop , tablet ect to your LG TV , its not for streaming live TV or Videos . You have files on your device which you associate with the Smart share program and any Photos , Videos or Music can then be played on your TV through the built in App on the TV . Been using it for many years from a laptop with windows 7 and works well . Many screen mirror Apps/Programs will be no better than Smart share and provide the same experience .

I have tried a lot of programs and apps to cast a live tv program from my LG phone or Laptop and none will , not saying it cant be done only that i cant find anything that will . The apps and programs that advertise live TV casting refer to casting something like utube or films etc from inside a browser program . TVcatchup is one website we use daily and access it directly from the TV browser and it plays well however if we play it on the Laptop or phone it wont cast .

Why cant she load the website and view/watch whatever she wishes through the LG tv built in browser over the internet . Our operating system is webOS and i understand LG now use another which is better but with ours we can go into the internet through the globe icon , type in whatever website we want and play/use it in exactly the same way we can on our laptops-phones-tablet including streaming live TV .

I think theres a big difference between casting Videos or films to casting LIVE tv streams .
Last edited by AkoAko on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.