Free Range Meat

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Free Range Meat

Postby Ricasso » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am

Does anyone know where you can get genuinely free-range meat in Axarquia (or nearby)? Many Thanks..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free Range Meat

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 am

I buy free range chicken that is more easily available here, but I would also like to know if I can get other meat locally as I've not been aware of anyone selling it. The basic pork available here seems to be particularly intensively raised from what we have read, so we don't often buy any pork products. I buy beef mince and stewing steak in the hope that they have at least been raised outside on grass.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Grass? What is that! I remember seeing a John Torode programme on Argentina and being shocked that the vast majority of their beef output is intensive,ly farmed and never sees /feels the pampas.

We are heading for the time when you can get baby goat to make choto. Our local butcher sells it and that is locally sourced and free range. Might be worth asking your butcher about other meat. Should also be able to get Jabali ( Wild Boar).

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Good supply of jabali here, very tasty :-)

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks.. Where's 'here' Manchesteral?
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 am

I think Manchesteral is in Gran Canaria!

In the past, just before Christmas, Lidl have stocked both boar and venison but it's been hard to find as they don't tend to advertise it. I have just got some marinated quail (cordoniz) breasts from there although whether they are intensively bred I don't know. I buy several packs to freeze when I see something different. We aren't huge meat eaters and don't eat it every day. I would rather have quality than quantity if I can get it.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 am

Interestingly the Boar was sourced in the good old USA and the Venison was German.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I am glad someone else likes the packs of marinated quails breasts. Absolutely delicious. I would bet good money on intensively reared. Not easy to catch in the wild without filling the meat with lead shot.